TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Bedding --- remove all bedding till she is fully trained and then start to introduce it and see if she remains on track, if she pees -- no bedding. Some dogs just can not have bedding in the crate and she will be fine with it. My two have three pads/beds in their crate and they nest till they get under them :faceplam:

Food/red patches ---- no easy way to say this .... RC is not a good food, lots of grains and fillers no real nutrition to it. Look to get on a high quality grain free food.... do a slow switch over 10 days when you find the one you want. keep in mind, anything bought at the grocery store or Walmart/Target, usually is trash food. Petco and Petsmart are starting to sell better foods. Here is a link to help you research.

English Bulldog News Forums - Dog Food Ratings at English Bulldog News

GOOD luck

:goodpost: Couldn't have said it any better myself!

OP
P

Plywood

Nov 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Bedding --- remove all bedding till she is fully trained and then start to introduce it and see if she remains on track, if she pees -- no bedding. Some dogs just can not have bedding in the crate and she will be fine with it. My two have three pads/beds in their crate and they nest till they get under them :facepalm:

Food/red patches ---- no easy way to say this .... RC is not a good food, lots of grains and fillers no real nutrition to it. Look to get on a high quality grain free food.... do a slow switch over 10 days when you find the one you want. keep in mind, anything bought at the grocery store or Walmart/Target, usually is trash food. Petco and Petsmart are starting to sell better foods. Here is a link to help you research.

English Bulldog News Forums - Dog Food Ratings at English Bulldog News

GOOD luck

Thanks for the info, I will go purchase the new food and start the process

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
[MENTION=15114]Plywood[/MENTION] You have a beautiful little bully girl who is very cute. Does she have a name yet?

quackattack

Jun 1, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
You have an adorable pup!

Just to add my two cents:

1) For crating at night, we leave him all night, but have a baby monitor set up next to the crate. If he stays crying we hear it and let him out. I don't know if your girl cries or not, but just a thought. A ticking clock near her crate can remind get of her mother's heartbeat so she feels more comfortable in there and can fall asleep easier. We have a crate with a divider, so we put the clock on the other side of the divider.

2) Food: My breeder told me to stay on puppy food for at least a year. They need it for the nutrition and growing. We personally feed Bowser Exclusive Puppy Food. Chicken is the number one ingredient and we've never had problems with it. If you're interested, you can use their website to search for stores near you that carry it.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi everyone, my family just got our first english bulldog, she is 9 weeks old and the cutest thing I have ever seen. I have had dogs growing up but my wife has never. We have had her for 3 days thus far.

I want to crate train the puppy (never done that before) but from day 1 she absolutely hates going near the crate. Every time I want her to go in, she resists and ends up crying. I ignore the crying because I do not want to give any attention to bad behavior. The crying lasts about 15minutes and she doesn't cry again until she hears me coming down to let her out. I also lay next to the crate for 10minutes to try to calm her down, that is hit or miss, sometimes she will actually sleep while I am there but other times she is lunging at the crate trying to get out.

In the middle of night, I set my alarm clock for 3 1/2 hours to let her out before she has accidents and she comes out and does her business but at this point it is very hard to get her back in the crate. I end up playing with her for 15minutes before putting her back in but she resists the most.

I feel bad because I am forcing her into the crate and I feel this waya she will never be comfortable in there.

Is this normal? Will this go away? Am I doing something wrong?

My next question is, I feel she has separation anxiety (which is related to the crate question), she will not stop following me around and when I stop walking she stops and just stares at me, I am trying to build up her confidence slowly so she can explore on her own but that is a slow process. She won't even eat unless I sit by her bowl of food. Any hints or ideas on this?

I will try to post a picture soon

Hi and Welcome to Ebn. Congratulations on your new baby. Any name yet? I have two EBs who are littermates, and I had to crate train and potty train them at the same time. I didn't have any problems with them in the crate, but that might be that it was easier because they are litter mates and had each other for company. My female Blossom doesn't like to go in her crate at night or if we go out, so I use a treat usually just a piece of her own kibble to coax her in, I place a piece of kibble in her crate and she will go in no problem. Her brother Bulldozer doesn't like to come out of his crate, he's loves to sleep. Lol, and I usually have to,coax him to come out, especially first thing in the morning for potty. I place a piece of his kibble on the floor outside of the crate and then wait for him to come out. The best thing for potty training is consistency, and a schedule. The rule of thumb is that a puppy can hold their bladder for 1 hour for every month of age, so at 9 weeks old, she should be able to hold her bladder for 2 hours. I used to take my guys out every hour or two during the day, with the last potty break at 10:00 or 11:00 pm, and I would set the alarm on my cell phone for 2:00 am, since it's too long for them to hold their bladder all night. I would take them out at 6:00 am, then feed them. For each month of age, you add an hour between each potty break, so by the time they are 5 to 6 months old, they should be able to hold their bladder for about 6 hours. Their feeding schedule was 1 cup of kibble 3 times a day, and then when they were 7 months old, I switched them to adult kibble and reduced their feelings to 1 cup twice a day. When they nip or chew on you or other objects, you can redirect her with an appropriate chew toy, something like a Kong bone. Be careful with giving or leaving her alone with soft balls like tennis balls, or soft chew toys like stuffed animals, as many bullies chew and swallow these objects. Always supervise her with these things until you know if she will chew and eat them.

Chanelle13

Jan 8, 2016
Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Romulan & Roscoe
We never Crate trained Rom, We bought him a crate and never locked him in.. we figured if we locked him in he might think he was in trouble and we wanted his crate/bed to be his "home" he eventually just went in there to sleep no problem. Rom was a very stubborn pup though he was hard to train but it gets better with time.. still sometimes he doesn't want to listen to me haha

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Hi everyone, my family just got our first english bulldog, she is 9 weeks old and the cutest thing I have ever seen. I have had dogs growing up but my wife has never. We have had her for 3 days thus far.

I want to crate train the puppy (never done that before) but from day 1 she absolutely hates going near the crate. Every time I want her to go in, she resists and ends up crying. I ignore the crying because I do not want to give any attention to bad behavior. The crying lasts about 15minutes and she doesn't cry again until she hears me coming down to let her out. I also lay next to the crate for 10minutes to try to calm her down, that is hit or miss, sometimes she will actually sleep while I am there but other times she is lunging at the crate trying to get out.

In the middle of night, I set my alarm clock for 3 1/2 hours to let her out before she has accidents and she comes out and does her business but at this point it is very hard to get her back in the crate. I end up playing with her for 15minutes before putting her back in but she resists the most.

I feel bad because I am forcing her into the crate and I feel this waya she will never be comfortable in there.

Is this normal? Will this go away? Am I doing something wrong?

My next question is, I feel she has separation anxiety (which is related to the crate question), she will not stop following me around and when I stop walking she stops and just stares at me, I am trying to build up her confidence slowly so she can explore on her own but that is a slow process. She won't even eat unless I sit by her bowl of food. Any hints or ideas on this?

I will try to post a picture soon
Welcome to EBN. Bulldogs are very social dogs. They love to be with their people. You could try to cover the crate with a sheet so she can't see you. It usually helps them settle in. Crate training is a great idea because bullies love to chew everything. It keeps them safe. Good luck, I can't wait to see pics!

OP
P

Plywood

Nov 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
I am slowly switching her over to Instinct Rabbit kibble. The bag says its for puppies through adult hood, I should be okay switching her over to this? She is 3 months old.

Here is a new pic:
Nin120.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am slowly switching her over to Instinct Rabbit kibble. The bag says its for puppies through adult hood, I should be okay switching her over to this? She is 3 months old.

Here is a new pic:
View attachment 95041

OMG.... she is too precious! Yes, if it is an all stages food (puppy thru adult) that is fine to switch

OP
P

Plywood

Nov 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
OMG.... she is too precious! Yes, if it is an all stages food (puppy thru adult) that is fine to switch

Precious, yes but a handful lol

She is almost house trained for #2, she will let me know most of the time she needs to go by standing by the door...but when she needs to pee she couldn't care less where she goes. She also pees on every bedding, towel or soft toy. Very hard to break this habit

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Precious, yes but a handful lol

She is almost house trained for #2, she will let me know most of the time she needs to go by standing by the door...but when she needs to pee she couldn't care less where she goes. She also pees on every bedding, towel or soft toy. Very hard to break this habit

Yes, that is a tough one. Remove all bedding from her crate till she is trained. Best thing to keep in mind they can only hold the bladder for 1 hour more than they are months old... so at 3 month 4 hours is her limit

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I went trough much of the same issues with Lockjaw. In the end it's all about consistency, schedules and them growing up.
With the crate- lockjaw was the same way- he didn't like to be in there locked up. So EVERYTIME he went in there- he got a treat. That works great. Even to this day, we give them the "good" treats when they go in their crates- on command by the way; bc they know they are getting a treat. I you tubed some videos about it.
Lots of patience will, consistency, love and treats. She will do fine and so will u!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.