Sheena
    Country
    United states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daisy
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New puppy, many questions

Quote Originally Posted by Plywood View Post
    Thank you for sharing this, last night I decided I was going to get a pen with her crate to ease her in. Hopefully with the pen she can feel more comfortable roaming around a little.

On another note, I am slightly worried about her eating. She eats between 3/4 - 1 cup of kibble in the morning around 6am then at lunch time she only takes 1 - 2 bites of food then she won't eat again until 6pm, where she will eat 1/4 - 1/2 cup. I feel like she is not eating enough, which I think should be 3 cups a day. Every feeding she gets a new clean bowl with fresh food. She drinks water regularly throughout the day and she has a healthy "bathroom" break every time. Should I be concerned about how little she eats?

On a side note, the first day I got her she wouldn't eat at all, so I googled this and somewhere I read to try to add a little water to her kibble to soften it up, well I did that and she started eating. Now, if I don't add water she sniffs her meal and looks up at me like "hey you forgot something" They are funny!
    Oh ya! They def get spoiled quickly. I feed Daisy 1 cup in the morning and one at night. Shes 2. But when she was a pup I would do 3/4 a cup in the morning, 1/2 cup in the afternoon and 3/4 for dinner. Shes eating, and looks healthy... I wouldnt worry too much right now

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    None yet
    Likes (Received)

Few more questions and I didn't want to start a new thread.

Over the last few days I am noticing pink/red patches under her white fur, it doesn't seem to bother her but could this be allergies? The only food she is eating is Royal Canin medium breed puppy (the same she was eating at the breeder) and for snack/treats I give her mini fruitables (apple bacon flavor) and once a day she has NuVet Plus Tablet. Is it too early to switch to adult food, I am eventually going to switch to Instinct grain free rabbit.

Next question, every type of bedding I put in her den she pee's on it. She won't pee on my bed or the couch but if I put down a towel or a bed she will eventually pee on it, even when she has gone outside, sometimes its a few drops sometimes its alot. Also, if I put a stuffed animal in her den she will eventually pee on that. Never experienced this before with other dogs, but its becoming an issue because now she will just sleep on the floor. If I remove any bedding, towel or stuffed animal she will not pee and if she does pee, she will always use the weewee pad. Is this typical bulldog behavior or is there more to it?

Thanks
    -1new-jpg
    Here is an updated pic

3. Likes Chubby liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Few more questions and I didn't want to start a new thread.

Over the last few days I am noticing pink/red patches under her white fur, it doesn't seem to bother her but could this be allergies? The only food she is eating is Royal Canin medium breed puppy (the same she was eating at the breeder) and for snack/treats I give her mini fruitables (apple bacon flavor) and once a day she has NuVet Plus Tablet. Is it too early to switch to adult food, I am eventually going to switch to Instinct grain free rabbit.

Next question, every type of bedding I put in her den she pee's on it. She won't pee on my bed or the couch but if I put down a towel or a bed she will eventually pee on it, even when she has gone outside, sometimes its a few drops sometimes its alot. Also, if I put a stuffed animal in her den she will eventually pee on that. Never experienced this before with other dogs, but its becoming an issue because now she will just sleep on the floor. If I remove any bedding, towel or stuffed animal she will not pee and if she does pee, she will always use the weewee pad. Is this typical bulldog behavior or is there more to it?

Thanks
    -1new-jpg
    Here is an updated pic

Bedding --- remove all bedding till she is fully trained and then start to introduce it and see if she remains on track, if she pees -- no bedding. Some dogs just can not have bedding in the crate and she will be fine with it. My two have three pads/beds in their crate and they nest till they get under them

Food/red patches ---- no easy way to say this .... RC is not a good food, lots of grains and fillers no real nutrition to it. Look to get on a high quality grain free food.... do a slow switch over 10 days when you find the one you want. keep in mind, anything bought at the grocery store or Walmart/Target, usually is trash food. Petco and Petsmart are starting to sell better foods. Here is a link to help you research.

English Bulldog News Forums - Dog Food Ratings at English Bulldog News

GOOD luck
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

5. Likes Miss Charlotte liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Bedding --- remove all bedding till she is fully trained and then start to introduce it and see if she remains on track, if she pees -- no bedding. Some dogs just can not have bedding in the crate and she will be fine with it. My two have three pads/beds in their crate and they nest till they get under them :faceplam:

Food/red patches ---- no easy way to say this .... RC is not a good food, lots of grains and fillers no real nutrition to it. Look to get on a high quality grain free food.... do a slow switch over 10 days when you find the one you want. keep in mind, anything bought at the grocery store or Walmart/Target, usually is trash food. Petco and Petsmart are starting to sell better foods. Here is a link to help you research.

GOOD luck
    Couldn't have said it any better myself!

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

7. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    None yet
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Bedding --- remove all bedding till she is fully trained and then start to introduce it and see if she remains on track, if she pees -- no bedding. Some dogs just can not have bedding in the crate and she will be fine with it. My two have three pads/beds in their crate and they nest till they get under them

GOOD luck
    Thanks for the info, I will go purchase the new food and start the process

9. Likes TyTysmom, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@Plywood You have a beautiful little bully girl who is very cute. Does she have a name yet?

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    None yet
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rjisaterp View Post
    @Plywood You have a beautiful little bully girl who is very cute. Does she have a name yet?
    Thanks
    Her name is Nina

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bowser
    Likes (Received)

You have an adorable pup!

Just to add my two cents:

1) For crating at night, we leave him all night, but have a baby monitor set up next to the crate. If he stays crying we hear it and let him out. I don't know if your girl cries or not, but just a thought. A ticking clock near her crate can remind get of her mother's heartbeat so she feels more comfortable in there and can fall asleep easier. We have a crate with a divider, so we put the clock on the other side of the divider.

2) Food: My breeder told me to stay on puppy food for at least a year. They need it for the nutrition and growing. We personally feed Bowser Exclusive Puppy Food. Chicken is the number one ingredient and we've never had problems with it. If you're interested, you can use their website to search for stores near you that carry it.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi everyone, my family just got our first english bulldog, she is 9 weeks old and the cutest thing I have ever seen. I have had dogs growing up but my wife has never. We have had her for 3 days thus far.

I want to crate train the puppy (never done that before) but from day 1 she absolutely hates going near the crate. Every time I want her to go in, she resists and ends up crying. I ignore the crying because I do not want to give any attention to bad behavior. The crying lasts about 15minutes and she doesn't cry again until she hears me coming down to let her out. I also lay next to the crate for 10minutes to try to calm her down, that is hit or miss, sometimes she will actually sleep while I am there but other times she is lunging at the crate trying to get out.

In the middle of night, I set my alarm clock for 3 1/2 hours to let her out before she has accidents and she comes out and does her business but at this point it is very hard to get her back in the crate. I end up playing with her for 15minutes before putting her back in but she resists the most.

I feel bad because I am forcing her into the crate and I feel this waya she will never be comfortable in there.

Is this normal? Will this go away? Am I doing something wrong?

My next question is, I feel she has separation anxiety (which is related to the crate question), she will not stop following me around and when I stop walking she stops and just stares at me, I am trying to build up her confidence slowly so she can explore on her own but that is a slow process. She won't even eat unless I sit by her bowl of food. Any hints or ideas on this?

I will try to post a picture soon
    Hi and Welcome to Ebn. Congratulations on your new baby. Any name yet? I have two EBs who are littermates, and I had to crate train and potty train them at the same time. I didn't have any problems with them in the crate, but that might be that it was easier because they are litter mates and had each other for company. My female Blossom doesn't like to go in her crate at night or if we go out, so I use a treat usually just a piece of her own kibble to coax her in, I place a piece of kibble in her crate and she will go in no problem. Her brother Bulldozer doesn't like to come out of his crate, he's loves to sleep. Lol, and I usually have to,coax him to come out, especially first thing in the morning for potty. I place a piece of his kibble on the floor outside of the crate and then wait for him to come out. The best thing for potty training is consistency, and a schedule. The rule of thumb is that a puppy can hold their bladder for 1 hour for every month of age, so at 9 weeks old, she should be able to hold her bladder for 2 hours. I used to take my guys out every hour or two during the day, with the last potty break at 10:00 or 11:00 pm, and I would set the alarm on my cell phone for 2:00 am, since it's too long for them to hold their bladder all night. I would take them out at 6:00 am, then feed them. For each month of age, you add an hour between each potty break, so by the time they are 5 to 6 months old, they should be able to hold their bladder for about 6 hours. Their feeding schedule was 1 cup of kibble 3 times a day, and then when they were 7 months old, I switched them to adult kibble and reduced their feelings to 1 cup twice a day. When they nip or chew on you or other objects, you can redirect her with an appropriate chew toy, something like a Kong bone. Be careful with giving or leaving her alone with soft balls like tennis balls, or soft chew toys like stuffed animals, as many bullies chew and swallow these objects. Always supervise her with these things until you know if she will chew and eat them.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

14. Likes rjisaterp liked this post
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Nina is a very nice name and fits her just fine.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Chanelle
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Romulan & Roscoe
    Likes (Received)

We never Crate trained Rom, We bought him a crate and never locked him in.. we figured if we locked him in he might think he was in trouble and we wanted his crate/bed to be his "home" he eventually just went in there to sleep no problem. Rom was a very stubborn pup though he was hard to train but it gets better with time.. still sometimes he doesn't want to listen to me haha
    Add me on Instagram! rom_the_bully

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Hi everyone, my family just got our first english bulldog, she is 9 weeks old and the cutest thing I have ever seen. I have had dogs growing up but my wife has never. We have had her for 3 days thus far.

I want to crate train the puppy (never done that before) but from day 1 she absolutely hates going near the crate. Every time I want her to go in, she resists and ends up crying. I ignore the crying because I do not want to give any attention to bad behavior. The crying lasts about 15minutes and she doesn't cry again until she hears me coming down to let her out. I also lay next to the crate for 10minutes to try to calm her down, that is hit or miss, sometimes she will actually sleep while I am there but other times she is lunging at the crate trying to get out.

In the middle of night, I set my alarm clock for 3 1/2 hours to let her out before she has accidents and she comes out and does her business but at this point it is very hard to get her back in the crate. I end up playing with her for 15minutes before putting her back in but she resists the most.

I feel bad because I am forcing her into the crate and I feel this waya she will never be comfortable in there.

Is this normal? Will this go away? Am I doing something wrong?

My next question is, I feel she has separation anxiety (which is related to the crate question), she will not stop following me around and when I stop walking she stops and just stares at me, I am trying to build up her confidence slowly so she can explore on her own but that is a slow process. She won't even eat unless I sit by her bowl of food. Any hints or ideas on this?

I will try to post a picture soon
    Welcome to EBN. Bulldogs are very social dogs. They love to be with their people. You could try to cover the crate with a sheet so she can't see you. It usually helps them settle in. Crate training is a great idea because bullies love to chew everything. It keeps them safe. Good luck, I can't wait to see pics!
    My smooshy face boy!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads