Help- Should I get small or large Fromm puppy formula?!?

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Ok, so I am going to switch Lockjaw and Penny to Fromm Gold puppy formula. I love the brand that they are currently on, but their Only grain free puppy formula is chicken and I really think that is playing a big part in Penny's tear stains. I decided to make a switch and see how it goes. Only thing- Lockjaw is 39 lbs and Penny is 32 (parents were 65 and 42 lbs) I don't want to buy 2 bags (small and large breed) so would it be ok to just keep them on the small formula for now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Personally, I think it would be just fine. Most size formulas are just marketing ploys. The difference may only be in the size of the bits. You are feeding a good food, I don't think it makes a difference. Just my opinion. It is the quality of the food that counts, as far as I am concerned.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How old are they now?

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
7 months. I went ahead and got a bag of small breed. Will I eventually have to get them their own bags?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
At 8 mths you can switch to adult food

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Corine, I agree with the above suggestions, the only thing is that the Fromms Puppy Gold is also Chicken based, so if you think he's sensitive to chicken, or you think that this is contributing to their tear stains, you may want to start them on a difderent Fromms adult formula with a different protein like Fromms Beef Frittata, or Lamb and Lentil, or one of the other flavours. All the Fromms kibble are all stages so can be fed to a puppy as well, and all their flavours are interchangeable, so don't require a slow transition to switch flavours.

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Who Corine, I agree with the above suggestions, the only thing is that the Fromms Puppy Gold is also Chicken based, so if you think he's sensitive to chicken, or you think that this is contributing to their tear stains, you may want to start them on a difderent Fromms adult formula with a different protein like Fromms Beef Frittata, or Lamb and Lentil, or one of the other flavours. All the Fromms kibble are all stages so can be fed to a puppy as well, and all their flavours are interchangeable, so don't require a slow transition to switch flavours.

Sorry- I got the Prairie Gold Puppy- grain free. That one is a red meat recipe. Lol- I was worried a second. I had to go back and check. Hopefully i will see a difference. But they will probably start adult kibble after this bag is gone.

I really loved the food I had them on, but all of their recipes (adult and puppy) had a chicken base. Only one adult formula was without. That was a fish base, but I want to save that for if/ when other allergies may pop up.

Thank you everyone for the input!!

Brudysmom

Nov 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Im actually switching Brutus to Fromm. He's 6 months old and I think I'm going to try the Salmon Tunalni. He's been on Orjien for about two months but his skin has gotten so dry. I've been giving him fish oil and recently gave him an oatmeal bath. His coat has gotten softer since the fish oil, but his skin is still flaky and he bites his paws. Is switching to Fromm a good idea?

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Im actually switching Brutus to Fromm. He's 6 months old and I think I'm going to try the Salmon Tunalni. He's been on Orjien for about two months but his skin has gotten so dry. I've been giving him fish oil and recently gave him an oatmeal bath. His coat has gotten softer since the fish oil, but his skin is still flaky and he bites his paws. Is switching to Fromm a good idea?

I absolutely love Fromm! Izzy loves her Beef Frittata. I purchase it online and get free delivery and pay a decent price for the large bag.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray

I'm so glad I read this, I was thinking about switching to Orjien after trying the freeze dried boar treats but I think I'll try the fromms beef frittata

- - - Updated - - -

I absolutely love Fromm! Izzy loves her Beef Frittata. I purchase it online and get free delivery and pay a decent price for the large bag.

I'm going to give this a try too! Thanks :)

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny

Have you also tried coconut oil? I give my babies about a tablespoon every night at dinner. That also helps a lot with their skin - you can rub it on them too. Their paws pads included. So they have been on Fromm Gold Prairie small puppy formula for a few weeks now. There's still a little of their old food left (Victor - which I loved, but most of all their food has chicken :( ) But I definitely see a change in Penny's tear stains. They are slowly starting to lighten up. I think it will get there faster once their old food runs out. After this bag, Im going to go ahead and switch them to adult formula. So far so good though. Not having any issues and they seem to really enjoy it.

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Thats what I did. Izzy is 3 and a half... she has been eating Fromm Beef Frittata since 6 month old... does great on it. She loves it... no tear stains.... no allergies... no pink in her face... :D

That's what I'm hoping for. I HATE her tear stains. Hopefully after their old bag is all the way gone and they are 100% Fromm then I'll see a faster change. It's funny though, one side of her face is lightening up really quick (more of a tan color now than a bronzy color) and the other side is still dark. ERR!! I just need patience I guess. lol

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
That's what I'm hoping for. I HATE her tear stains. Hopefully after their old bag is all the way gone and they are 100% Fromm then I'll see a faster change. It's funny though, one side of her face is lightening up really quick (more of a tan color now than a bronzy color) and the other side is still dark. ERR!! I just need patience I guess. lol

Watch out for treats too.... they may contain grains or other ingredients that may cause the tear stains. Izzy only gets her kibble, tons of bones from the feed store, peanut butter and yogurt... oh and salmon oil. That's pretty much her diet.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.