bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
I got Radar's thyroid results back. Our vet sends the blood work to Michigan State I have results from Jan 15 and December 15 they are dramatically different

Jan 15 Dec 15 Range

Total T4 32 16 11-60
Total T3 2.0 1.4 .8-2.1
Free T4 21 16 9-39
Free T3 8.0 not tested 1.2-8.2
T4AA 10 12 0-20
T3AA 5 7 0-10
TSH 0.03 0.05 0.00-0.58
TGAA 6 6 0-35

I was immediately concerned because his total T4 was half of what it was a year ago -- My vet was out of the office when I stopped so the tech just gave me the results. I had emailed Dr Jean Dodd at Hemopet earlier in the year when I thought it maybe a thyroid problem for her advice and recommendations on his results and she said Jan they are good and Dec his Total T4 is clearly low and his Free T4 has now become subclinical, so my husband and are thinking our vet will see the same thing and talked quite a few times over the weekend about what times would be best for his dosing with meal times/work/walk/potty/play time/bed time schedules so that we were prepared to give Radar his meds every 12 hours an hour or more before supper. Fast forward to Wednesday our Vet finally calls, leaves a message that says all of Radar's levels are perfectly fine and he won't be needing thyroid medication, I am immediately confused due to the information I received from one of the leading veterinarians on thyroid function, I called her back and she told me it was the time of day we took it and it was a snapshot in time and sometimes it may be low and sometimes it may be high and the numbers will fluctuate I told her about my emails with Dr Dodd and asked for a 6-8 trial of thyroid medication she said she needed to make a couple of more calls before she would do that. I talked to her yesterday and she said she talked to the lab that did our blood work and to an endocrinologist at ISU and both agreed that his levels were fine. They did tell her to we could use the meds to see if it will stimulate his hair to grow back so I am getting what I wanted, I am just hoping that the results and new test results will convince here that he has a thyroid issue. I emailed Dr Dodd back about my converstion with the vet and she explained a little about the thyroid function and that they use breed and age not just the reference range when she gives her recommendations.

I will keep everyone updated we will start thyroid meds tomorrow morning, I wish I had started a blog or a facebook page when we first got Radar, with all of his issues he could have been an internet star.

I would suggest emailing Dr. Dodd if you anyone is questioning their vets reading of the thyroid results and trust your instincts, we see our pets everyday and have to be their voice.

Sorry it's so long!!:w00t:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well, my question would be... If time of day matters then why would they plan that at time of blood work?

Bravo for sticking to you guns and getting those meds --- i so hope this works for you all

OP
bengardradar

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
I have no idea Dr dodd said levels are there highest at around 2pm his blood was drawn at 8am. I am just hoping that after the 4 weeks I don't have to find a new vet. Total t4 dropped in half in less then a year. From everything I have read it can take years for the thyroid to shut down enough to be below the low end. I know this isn't the fix to radars behavioral issues and our training will continue, but being healthy and getting the medicine he needs can't hurt anything and I wouldn't trade him or his challenges for anything

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Ugh!...don't even get me started on thyroid issues, human or animal.

What I do know is poor 'lil Radar has a great advocate in his corner in
YOU...thank god! Strengthening my prayers over him, y'all & Vets.
Beyond time for some answers, fixes & happier times for all of you.
I send huge hugs from Texas & lots of LOVE...God bless y'all.

[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]...great question!

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Well, my question would be... If time of day matters then why would they plan that at time of blood work?

Bravo for sticking to you guns and getting those meds --- i so hope this works for you all
:yes: exactly what I was thinking!!

You're an excellent advocate for Radar, good work Mama!!

Members online

No members online now.