Bailey hates walks...help!

Lkane0322

Nov 27, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
My Bailey hates to walk, ever since he was a puppy. I put his harness on (completely painless) and he shakes and quivers on his bed. I have to drag him (gently) outside and he sits about 3 or 4 times before he gives in. It so embarrassing sometimes i wait till night night so my neighbors don't see LOL!! Bailey has NEVER had anything tramatic happen to him. Never been hurt or even yelled at! I have tried treats and new rewards but nothing helps. I have been dealing with this for years. Any advice????

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I don't know what to tell you but we have a Princess that does not like outside either.... she actually doesn't mind going for short walks in warmer weather tho. Hope someone can give you some clues as to what to do about poor Bailey. :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
We have a lab who hates walks too ... it sometimes is so obviously mentally traumatic for him that we give up and let him race around the yard like a lunatic!! Bear was a rescue but was rescued when he was a tiny puppy so I can't see how anything about a walk could have been traumatic but who knows what is going on inside his head.

I know walks are good for them and for us too, but if they really really really hate it then sometimes it's not worth putting them through it. BUT that is just my opinion ...

L

Lucy-licious

Lucy does this if we're walking her at home in the evening. My son finds the experience of taking her out very stressful.
Take her in the car for a big walk somewhere exciting though and thats a totaly different matter, she cant wait to run off and explore the new surroundings :lol:

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
Chester puts the brakes on when I try to get him to walk and he doesn't.. it's actually quite a hilarious sight. And because my husband and I are about as stubborn as Chester is and want to take him for a walk... we go through 57 treats to get down to the corner and back - it's like hopscotch - we throw the treat down the sidewalk and we slowly get closer to our destination.

Mike Blaylock

Dec 27, 2010
Forest Park, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
SgtMjr. Duketavius (Duke) Bruiser USMC Ret.
Duke craves walking except for hot days over 80. Bulldogs do over heat fast in the hot sun. Where are you located? My friends actually have a stroller they bought for their bulldog because he hates walks too. Another member of our club lives in a retirement village and her bulldog is very old (13 years old). Sooooooo, she drives him around in her golf cart during the summer.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Chester puts the brakes on when I try to get him to walk and he doesn't.. it's actually quite a hilarious sight. And because my husband and I are about as stubborn as Chester is and want to take him for a walk... we go through 57 treats to get down to the corner and back - it's like hopscotch - we throw the treat down the sidewalk and we slowly get closer to our destination.

I now have a picture of that in my head ...... that's hilarious!!! :LMAO:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)

[MENTION=530]LisaRN[/MENTION] next thing we are going to be reading about how Chester needs a diet because his walks are making him fat! :lol:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=530]LisaRN[/MENTION] next thing we are going to be reading about how Chester needs a diet because his walks are making him fat! :lol:

[MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] ... even more hilarious!! :lol:

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
[MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] the funny thing is.. my husband would NEVER take our shih tzu for walk. Now, he not only takes Chester for a walk.. he walks by other houses and tells me "That's Rudy's house".. "Oh no.. hurry up, Scooter's mom drives me nuts I don't want her coming out to talk".. "oh.. Daisy's mother works with a doctor who bought an EB"..I'm like "Who is Rudy".. "Who is Scooter" and "Who is Daisy"?? .. yup, he knows our neighbors by the dogs' names!!!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Yes, I don't think this is terribly uncommon - some bulldogs just don't like to exercise, especially in the form of walks. I have one of them. Linus dislikes walking and when he was a puppy, I used to have to carry him home after he'd sit down on a walk and refuse to move. (Linus is an 80 pound dog) I found that walking him WITH another dog that enjoys walking helps a lot. I don't know if that is feasible for you but it may be worth a try?

everdream

Dec 17, 2010
Houston, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Hoagie

This is exactly how my Hoagie is. I adopted him last September :heart: - he's about 5 - and couldn't wait to take him on a little walk...nope, uh-uh. He loves his harness, he gets excited to go outside, then slams on the brakes, not budging. "Oh, you meant for me to actually walk?!? I thought you were taking me for a car ride!" I've tried several times and no deal. He'll walk from the car into the vet's office and back. He'll walk from the car into the house. Around the house, out to the patio and around the yard and back in, but for an actual walk? No. I've thought about putting him in a wagon just for some fun and fresh air :)

Then there is my pug, Emmy. He's 8. He used to go on walks around the neighborhood just fine. Then about a year ago he quit liking them too. We'd get half way and he'd just stop like he hit a brick wall. The next time, we'd get around the corner and BRAKES! Then just to the stop sign. Then just to the driveway. Now out the front door and he won't budge. But again, he'll walk all over the place if I take him somewhere else...like Petco, the vet, etc. So weird. He has a stroller for going to dog events, but I'm not brave enough to whip it out for a neighborhool stroll (it's leapard print :lol:) so I may just have to get a big ol' wagon built for two stubborn boys!

Last edited:

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
The length of Chunk's walks depend COMPLETELY on his mood. And mine sometimes I think. If it's freezing and I want it to be a quick walk, he wants to walk around our entire complex. However, when it's nice he wants to run inside. Darn Bullies!!! I do notice he likes to walk more when he's off his leash - so as long as no one else is walking their dogs I let him walk without it. We live in an apartment complex that is set up like condos - we have a HUGE area behind our apt that we walk on. Chunk likes to walk the perimeter near the bay ... guess he's like his Mama and loves the sounds of the water! :up:

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
awww sorry he doesn't like to walk. i was going to suggest a stroller too. also, have you ever driven him to another location that is new and different to see if he would walk, like a park or something? from the other posters, i guess some bullies just don't walk. :ohmy: my Bullet likes to follow my lab when we go for walks so i'm sure that helps him. i haven't had him but a couple months so we haven't had too many walks with our crazy indiana weather. :crazy:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.