Has anyone used the Volhardart Puppy Apptitude Test (PAT) to choose a puppy from a litter??

Michael Colosimo

Nov 16, 2015
Doing some research on picking a puppy from a litter and came across the Volhardart Puppy Aptitude Test that scores a pup based on the following tests. Does anyone feel these are accurate ways of predicting future behavioral indicators to judge by? Seems sensible to me.

1. Social Attraction - degree of social attraction to people, confidence or dependence.
2. Following - willingness to follow a person.
3. Restraint - degree of dominant or submissive tendency, and ease of handling in difficult situations.
4. Social Dominance - degree of acceptance of social dominance by a person.
5. Elevation - degree of accepting dominance while in a position of no control, such as at the veterinarian or groomer.
6. Retrieving - degree of willingness to do something for you. Together with Social Attraction and Following a key indicator for ease or difficulty in training.
7. Touch Sensitivity - degree of sensitivity to touch and a key indicator to the type of training equipment required.
8. Sound Sensitivity - degree of sensitivity to sound, such as loud noises or thunderstorms.8. Sound Sensitivity - degree of sensitivity to sound, such as loud noises or thunderstorms.
9. Sight Sensitivity - degree of response to a moving object, such as chasing bicycles, children or squirrels.
10. Stability - degree of startle response to a strange object.

During the testing make a note of the heart rate of the pup, which is an indication of how it deals with stress, as well as its energy level. Puppies come with high, medium or low energy levels. You have to decide for yourself, which suits your life style. Dogs with high energy levels need a great deal of exercise, and will get into mischief if this energy is not channeled into the right direction. Finally, look at the overall structure of the puppy. You see what you get at 49 days age. If the pup has strong and straight front and back legs, with all four feet pointing in the same direction, it will grow up that way, provided you give it the proper diet and environment in which to grow. If you notice something out of the ordinary at this age, it will stay with puppy for the rest of its life. He will not grow out of it.

1. Ideally puppies are tested in the 7th week, preferably the 49th day. At 6 weeks
or earlier the puppy’s neurological connections are not fully developed. (If the
test is conducted between 8-10 weeks, the puppy is in the fear imprint stage
and special care must be taken not to frighten it.)

2. Puppies are tested individually, away from dam and littermates, in an area new
to them and relatively free form distractions. It could be a porch, garage, living
room, yard, or whatever. Puppies should be tested before a meal when they
are awake and lively and not on a day when they have been wormed or given
their puppy shots.

3. The sequence of the tests is the same for all pups and is designed to alternate a
slightly stressful test with a neutral or pleasant one.

4. There is less chance for human error, or the puppies being influenced by a
familiar person, if the tests are administered by someone other than the owner
of the litter. A friend of the owner, or the prospective buyer can easily learn to
give the test.

Interpretation of Scores
Mostly 1s
This dog is extremely dominant and has aggressive tendencies. He is quick to bite and is generally considered not good with children and elderly. When combined The safest and easiest thing to do when faced with parent dogs of undesirable temperament is simply to look for another litter of pups...with a 1 or 2 in touch sensitivity, will be a difficult dog to train. Not a dog for the inexperienced handler, takes a competent trainer to establish leadership.

Mostly 2s
This dog is dominant and can be provoked to bite. Responds well to firm, consistent, fair handling in an adult household, and is likely to be a loyal pet once it respects its human leader. Often has bouncy, outgoing temperament, may be too active for elderly and too dominant for small children.

Mostly 3s
This dog accepts humans and leaders easily, is best prospect for the average owner, adapts well to new situations and is generally good with children and elderly, although may be inclined to be active. Makes a good obedience prospect and usually has commonsense approach to life.

Mostly 4s
This dog is submissive and will adapt to most households. May be slightly less outgoing and active than a dog scoring mostly 3s. Gets along well with children generallyand trains well.

Mostly 5s
This dog is extremely submissive and needs special handling to build confidence and bring him out of his shell. Does not adapt well to change or confusion and needs a very regular, structured environment. Usually safe around children and bites only when severely stressed. Not a good choice for a beginner since it frightens easily, and takes a long time to get used to new experiences.

Mostly 6s
This dog is independent. He is not affectionate and may dislike petting and cuddling. It is difficult to establish a relationship with him whether for working or for pet. Not recommended for children who may force attention on him; he is not a beginner’s dog.
A. When combined with 1s, especially in restraint: the independent dog is likely to bite under stress.
B. When combined with 5s: the independent dog is likely to hide from people, or freeze when approached by a stranger

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
interesting information.... I never heard of this before. I tagged some members that are into showing and they may have some insight for you

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I've heard of it, but never seen it done. I go with my gut feeling:D

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
I think you should discuss with the breeder about the personalities of all the pups, and spend some time with them to see which one you think would fit into your family's dynamics. You might be thinking too hard about this choice, when it really is an easy one once you see and meet them all. We chose Lola from the remaining 5 puppies in the litter, she followed my husband around and sat right next to us. The breeder told us she was the trouble maker and the instigator of sneaking out of the pen. She sure is a stubborn one, but i'm more so, so I knew it was important (as it always is) for me to be the alpha.

OP
M

Michael Colosimo

Nov 16, 2015
I think you should discuss with the breeder about the personalities of all the pups, and spend some time with them to see which one you think would fit into your family's dynamics. You might be thinking too hard about this choice, when it really is an easy one once you see and meet them all. We chose Lola from the remaining 5 puppies in the litter, she followed my husband around and sat right next to us. The breeder told us she was the trouble maker and the instigator of sneaking out of the pen. She sure is a stubborn one, but i'm more so, so I knew it was important (as it always is) for me to be the alpha.

You're most likely right about the over thinking it part. Thanks

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Looks like a good test if you're interested in buying a shepherd or malinois that you would use as a working dog.

EB's are smart dogs but not going to be as responsive as dogs mentioned above at 7 weeks.

I usually pick by looks and temperament and most of the time my dogs have picked me or someone in my family when we've went too look. I bought chunky without ever seeing him in person until I met the breeder to pick him up but as soon as I seen his pic online I knew if he was available he was mine. I talked too 3 breeders over the phone about buying their pups locally and decided none of the local breeders had the dog I wanted. When I spoke too the breeder I bought chunky from I knew I was making the right choice even though I had a 8hrs of driving round trip to pick him up.

Read up on bulldogs and make sure they are the breed for you.

OP
M

Michael Colosimo

Nov 16, 2015
Looks like a good test if you're interested in buying a shepherd or malinois that you would use as a working dog.

EB's are smart dogs but not going to be as responsive as dogs mentioned above at 7 weeks.

I usually pick by looks and temperament and most of the time my dogs have picked me or someone in my family when we've went too look. I bought chunky without ever seeing him in person until I met the breeder to pick him up but as soon as I seen his pic online I knew if he was available he was mine. I talked too 3 breeders over the phone about buying their pups locally and decided none of the local breeders had the dog I wanted. When I spoke too the breeder I bought chunky from I knew I was making the right choice even though I had a 8hrs of driving round trip to pick him up.

Read up on bulldogs and make sure they are the breed for you.

Thanks for your input but I disagree. And yes I have done a ton of research on EB's. I would never buy a pup unseen.

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Whoa. This sounds like a GMAT/SAT exam.

I have picked puppies from litters before just by looking at them and seeing how they move around. Nothing this elaborate.
Our EB Bella was a blind buy from "good lineage". She turned out mostly OK. By blind buy, I did not see the mum/dad/pup but a very good friend who is a breeder picked her up for me. If one is into serious showing and breeding it probably makes sense to go through some of this, breeder willing.

I once had the misfortune of picking up a doberman that turned psychotic at 4 months. The guy just did not fit into our home.
In fact he was so possessive and insecure that he seriously bit my boy who was 5 years at the time. We had to give him away to a farm where he was used as a guard dog.

EBs are generally easy going. They are low sensitivity breed, meaning in most situations they usually just lift an eyelid and go back to snoozing.
I feel EBs are also born confident and arrogant, so some firmness from owner is required to show them their place. This happens over a period of time.
Longer for EBs as compared to other "intelligent" breeds.

Here are my observations in case of Bella, done over a period of time.
1. Social Attraction - degree of social attraction to people, confidence or dependence.
She is a social butterfly; basks in the attention of humans and other canines

Mostly. Sometimes she is very clear she is done listening to me

3. Restraint - degree of dominant or submissive tendency, and ease of handling in difficult situations.
To date have not had a difficult situation; usually manageable by coaxing or a firm NO

She will listen 95% of the time; the remaining 5% she tells me that EBs need to be respected

5. Elevation - degree of accepting dominance while in a position of no control, such as at the veterinarian or groomer.
No issues here. Vet's darling and very cooperative when bathing, grooming or clipping nails.

6. Retrieving - degree of willingness to do something for you. Together with Social Attraction and Following a key indicator for ease or difficulty in training.
Retrieving yes 100%. Giving it back to me 50%

7. Touch Sensitivity - degree of sensitivity to touch and a key indicator to the type of training equipment required.
Very sensitive to strangers touch. She is cautious but never aggressive. Usually takes 30 seconds to assess a new person. Once she is satisfied the feet and hand licking starts.

8. Sound Sensitivity - degree of sensitivity to sound, such as loud noises or thunderstorms.
Very alert on sound; if there are very loud sounds (thunder, firecrackers), she will come between my feet and just sit. If not she will go under the bed until she feels safe to come out.

9. Sight Sensitivity - degree of response to a moving object, such as chasing bicycles, children or squirrels.
Alert and curious; most of the time she wants to join in the play

This is the only time I see her in the classic "don't mess with me" bulldog stance. 4 steps back, punched face, low growl and ready to defend herself.

Cheers,
Raghu

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
[MENTION=1350]michael[/MENTION]

Saw the video. Gorgeous pups
Looks and marking wise, I personally like:
1. the one with 2 brown ears and eyes (right most at the start of video)
2. the squirmy one
3. the panda
4. the all white face

White face means you need to spend extra time working on tear stains.

Cheers,
Raghu

OP
M

Michael Colosimo

Nov 16, 2015

I have picked puppies from litters before just by looking at them and seeing how they move around. Nothing this elaborate.
Our EB Bella was a blind buy from "good lineage". She turned out mostly OK. By blind buy, I did not see the mum/dad/pup but a very good friend who is a breeder picked her up for me. If one is into serious showing and breeding it probably makes sense to go through some of this, breeder willing.

I once had the misfortune of picking up a doberman that turned psychotic at 4 months. The guy just did not fit into our home.
In fact he was so possessive and insecure that he seriously bit my boy who was 5 years at the time. We had to give him away to a farm where he was used as a guard dog.

EBs are generally easy going. They are low sensitivity breed, meaning in most situations they usually just lift an eyelid and go back to snoozing.
I feel EBs are also born confident and arrogant, so some firmness from owner is required to show them their place. This happens over a period of time.

To date have not had a difficult situation; usually manageable by coaxing or a firm NO

She will listen 95% of the time; the remaining 5% she tells me that EBs need to be respected

No issues here. Vet's darling and very cooperative when bathing, grooming or clipping nails.

Very sensitive to strangers touch. She is cautious but never aggressive. Usually takes 30 seconds to assess a new person. Once she is satisfied the feet and hand licking starts.

8. Sound Sensitivity - degree of sensitivity to sound, such as loud noises or thunderstorms.
Very alert on sound; if there are very loud sounds (thunder, firecrackers), she will come between my feet and just sit. If not she will go under the bed until she feels safe to come out.

This is the only time I see her in the classic "don't mess with me" bulldog stance. 4 steps back, punched face, low growl and ready to defend herself.

Cheers,
Raghu[/QUOTE

Raghu - Thanks for sharing your insight and taking the time to reply. I love that you made comparisons to your EB. I do believe these tests are really overkill but I also think knowing what to look for or not is helpful. I remember picking a golden retriever pup way back based on the way she looked extremely cute. Turned out to be mega hyper, ran away all the time, etc. Anyway getting all the input here is valuable whether one agree's or disagrees. Have a great day!

OP
M

Michael Colosimo

Nov 16, 2015
[MENTION=1350]michael[/MENTION]

Saw the video. Gorgeous pups
Looks and marking wise, I personally like:
1. the one with 2 brown ears and eyes (right most at the start of video)
2. the squirmy one
3. the panda
4. the all white face

White face means you need to spend extra time working on tear stains.

Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks Raghu - Good to know on the white face!

OP
M

Michael Colosimo

Nov 16, 2015

Cheers,
Raghu

Raghu - I really appreciate this info. Great stuff!! Thank you. Sorry to hear about your boy. That is terrible it happened.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.