English Bulldog Puppies - Earliest take home date??

Michael Colosimo

Nov 16, 2015
I would like your opinion on what the optimum "take home" date is for bringing a new puppy home? I have always heard that 8 weeks is the earliest? Thanks for your help in advance! :)

Michael

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
8 weeks is the earliest that you should but I've always read that the best is 9 1/2 to 10 weeks, the longer they stay with their mom the more they learn about life.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
8 weeks is the earliest that you should but I've always read that the best is 9 1/2 to 10 weeks, the longer they stay with their mom the more they learn about life.

agreed..... we got our babies at 11 weeks

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
8 weeks minimum vet checked by the breeders vet and then soon as you get home get your vet involved and the pup checked over
Buy the best you can afford food wise and do not guess explore all options ask other Bully owners what they feed , i find the Breeders feed what they can get a deal on sometimes does not mean it is what your pup should be eating . Start em right

OP
M

Michael Colosimo

Nov 16, 2015
Great advice. On the food the breeder has them on Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy Food. I already know I won't be using that brand based on my research. Looking at either Fromm, Wellness or Nature's Variety. I would like to stick in the 9 -10 week range for bringing the puppy home. Haven't had the discussion with the breeder but I hope I don't get push back. Nothing in the contract that says I have to pick him up at 8 weeks.

Thank you!!

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I have 7 month old boy/girl siblings. We brought home Lockjaw when he was 7 weeks and ended up going back for Penny when she was 13 weeks. We didn't have issues with either one. The younger you get then the longer you have to go when it comes to middle of the night potty breaks! Lol- Penny was definitely easier to potty train- but at the end of the day they both are healthy and happy.

The breeder I got my babies from fed all his EB's "Victor". He also shows many of his dogs. It's highly rated (a little less well known) but comes with great reviews and has many flavors as well. Only thing is that their puppy formula has chicken in it and I think Penny may have a slight poultry allergy. Her tear stains are something horrible and got worse when I had to give her plain chicken breast one day. So ONLY bc of that I'm going to switch to Fromms Gold puppy formula- it doesn't contain any chicken. But otherwise I really like Victor.

Good luck and I'm so excited for your family!! EB's are such wonderful additions to the family! My girls are 6 and 10 and do great with Lockjaw and Penny- and vice versa.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online