Emmitt's in surgery :(

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Oh no .. how awful!!! Prayers and hopes going his way ... do keep us informed!!!!!! :*(

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
You know he is in my thoughts. It is hard not to just pick up the phone and call Dr Turman. If you need someone to stay with him tomorrow, let me know. I will be home all day......give him kisses from us when you see him.

OP
Emmitt E

Emmitt E

Nov 1, 2010
*Update*

So the Dr. calls me and the first thing she says is, "Well we've never seen this before.........only a bullie..........".

Turns out that Emmitt swallowed an entire bone and it was lodged in his esophagus. The knot on the bone was acting like a cork. She didn't have to do surgery b/c when she went to intubate him she discovered it in there. After a lot of work she was able to pull it back up through his mouth and then drain all the fluid and gas from his stomach. There may be a few complications down the road due to esophogeal scarring and how distended his stomach was, but he's good for now.

She did tell me that if we had waited any longer he would have died. :( We have an angel watching over us today. My husband normally isn't home in the mornings.

So anyway, he's doing great now! He's acting like a madman, ready to eat and running around the vet's office I'm sure. Thank you so much for the well wishes.

OP
Emmitt E

Emmitt E

Nov 1, 2010
I just read the "He ate my glove" thread. Emmitt is in good company I see. :)

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
This brings tears to my eyes. I am so happy that he is ok, and agree you have an angel on watch. I will still be sending good vibes his way for a speedy recovery and in hopes of no future issues caused from this.

crystalmcr

Nov 8, 2010
Minnesota
Bulldog(s) Names
Frany Stein and Boris Karloff
OMG! I am praying my heart out! He has to be ok. Let us know how things are going!

L

Lucy-licious

i'm so glad the emergency is over and am praying he makes a full recovery without complication :)

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
so glad that yall had a angel watching over ya this morning!!! will he get to come home today?

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Thank Heaven, he's okay and you got him in before he was in lots more trouble! You sure do have a guardian angel watching over your baby Emmett! How scarry this must have been. So happy it has a happy ending!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh thank goodness he is alright! :whew: I hope there is not any problems, poor sweet boy.

Let this be an important lesson to everyone- remove any small toys from your bully's toybox. Only LARGE sized bones are okay, I know of another who swallowed a KONG- the puppy (small) sized one..... And if you doubt for even a second they could swallow it- don't let them have it. I cannot even let two of my dogs have beds because they eat and swallow them. I have been weak and got them one during the cold months- but take a guess what happened. I now know that I cannot do it, no matter how uncomfortable I may think they are.... :*(

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
poor baby emmit! i'm so thankful that your hubby was home, and that emmit will be okay. :heart::whew:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=1443]Emmitt E[/MENTION], AMAZING what they can eat, did you even know he ate the bone? Vegas had the glove in his belly two days before I knew, and I only knew because he finally puked it up. ONLY a bully!!! I have owned dogs my whole life and I have NEVER had this happen......well that I know of............I am so glad he is OK, and Vegas acted like a wild-man afterwards also, I think it was because they feel good to get the crap back out of their systems!!!

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Mocha and I send all of our love and I will make sure to say some prayers for the Little boy! he is so cute! And I have been there too.It is so hard ,but know that we are all praying for you and for Him.:heart:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online