How did you decide on your bully's name?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor is registered under his official kennel name but we wanted to choose our own name for him and ended up with Castor after one of our favourite children's books characters. The fictional Castor is a beaver and an absolutely lovely little character. Some of the books have been translated into English (although for some reason Castor is called Harvey in English...): Lars Klinting - children's books - Handy Harvey

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Well... we were heading to Harrisburg, and we were passing the signs for Hershey. .. and it hit me He?...She? Hers He ? Hershey.... and he had the cutest Hershey Kiss tail.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Our family has recently added a beautiful little bully girl to the family and her name is also Winni. The breeder had her named as Winnifred and we were not sure at first about the name and thought to change it, but Winni grew on us quickly and we were too busy keeping up with her to try and change her name. She is a gem and Winni brings me joy every time I hear her name.

Always glad to hear of another Winni (or as we spell it, Winnie)! I'd love to see a picture if you would post one!

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I got Tyson as a rescue, and he was already named. He's acquired many nicknames throughout the years: Marshmallow, Ty-Ty, Boo Boo, Handsome, Stinky (at times, lol) haha.

I think Tyson is a great name! And marshmallow- what a cute nickname!!!!!

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
i thought about that if we ever decided to breed her.. name her puppies that.. lol.. but no... i don't want to ge thru that again..

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Here is how ours came to be named Bella short for Bellada-Unde.

We had a choice of pups male or female when picking from the litter. Wife and I had decided to put down the deposit and pick a male.
Had already picked "Gabbar" as the name for a male after the most iconic villain in Indian cinema.
At the last moment, I decided that a female would be a good addition to the family. We have a 11 year old boy and 5 year old male boxer.
3 males (incl me) and only 1 woman in the home seemed a bit unbalanced. So female it was.

Regarding name choices, I had not given it much thought. My son had named our boxer "Rudy" after the dinosaur in Ice Age 3.
This time around he chose "Cherie" (he is learning French at school this year). Wife also liked this name.

When we saw Bella, the first thing that struck me was that she looked like a ball of jaggery (extract from sugarcane).
In my local language, a ball of jaggery is called "Bellada-unde" or "Bella" in short form. This name resonated with all of us.
Her KCI registered name is "Olina Eva". I think it means joyful girl, which Bella definitely is.

Attached are pics of Bella (as a pup) and what jaggery looks like.

bellada-unde.jpg Bella as a pup

unde-bella.jpg What jaggery looks like

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

We had a choice of pups male or female when picking from the litter. Wife and I had decided to put down the deposit and pick a male.
Had already picked "Gabbar" as the name for a male after the most iconic villain in Indian cinema.
At the last moment, I decided that a female would be a good addition to the family. We have a 11 year old boy and 5 year old male boxer.
3 males (incl me) and only 1 woman in the home seemed a bit unbalanced. So female it was.

Regarding name choices, I had not given it much thought. My son had named our boxer "Rudy" after the dinosaur in Ice Age 3.
This time around he chose "Cherie" (he is learning French at school this year). Wife also liked this name.

When we saw Bella, the first thing that struck me was that she looked like a ball of jaggery (extract from sugarcane).
In my local language, a ball of jaggery is called "Bellada-unde" or "Bella" in short form. This name resonated with all of us.
Her KCI registered name is "Olina Eva". I think it means joyful girl, which Bella definitely is.

View attachment 93913 Bella as a pup

View attachment 93912 What jaggery looks like

What a precious photo of her as a baby

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray

View attachment 93913 Bella as a pup

View attachment 93912 What jaggery looks like
What a wonderful story and great name choices!!

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
I picked Wheezie before I ever even met her.I just knew she would sound Wheezie when she breathed and I was right.Her full name is Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom,Kay I kept because the breeder called her Miss Kay and Wigglebottom just fit for a bully.My husband named Abbott after his two favorite guitar players so his full name is Zakk Abbott Wylde after Zack Wilde from Black Label Society and Abbott after Dime bag Darrell of Pantera.lol

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I love that they both have full names that you both gave a lot of thought to! Your parents must love you a lot, Wheezie and Abbott, to give you both such special names :)

Zombiefallout

Mar 4, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
My husband and I are big fans of the zombie fallout book series. One of the characters has a bulldog named Henry. The bulldog is a very important character throughout the series. The author also has a bulldog named Henry in real life. When we decided we were ready for another puppy we began our research into the the bulldog breed and new that we had to have one and name him Henry. Later in the series the main character befriends another dog, mixed breed. His name is Augustine Purpose...aka A. Purpose. We plan to have another bulldog someday and that will be his name.

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Personally I love the name Henry, my nephew shares the name as well :) Augustine is great too and has cute nickname options Auggie and Gus :) great name choices!

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
I love this post it is so fun. We have Radar Gavin Bengard. Those sending Xmas cards I confused gavins middle name with radars. Radar got his name cause my husband said either our next child or our first bulldog will be named radar. Thank goodness I was only able to have 1 skin baby. So when it came time to get a dog I needed to pick a radar. I think I did. Funny thing is most people think he is named radar after the character on MASH but he isn't he is named after Big Bird's bear. Big birds bear was nice and quiet but not our radar and I wouldn't have it any other way though love my son,husband and misfit 3 legged bulldog to the moon and back

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
I loved watching Sesame Street with my daughter when she was a little girl. Elmo was my favorite on the show, so that is how My Bulldog get his name Elmo.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.