How did you decide on your bully's name?

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Oh, what a great thread!!

Hubby picked the name many years back (before we had even met). He always wanted an English Bulldog and he liked that line in Dumb and Dumber "kick his *$$ Sea-Bass".
Little did he know that his future wife would fall head over heels-crazy-in-love and "his" bulldog would become his wife's baby!!
His middle name is Kringle, because we got him for Christmas. He has a few nick-names that he answers to…my favorite is "Goomba" it's the equivalent to "honey" or "sweetheart", but due to having four other "honeys" and "sweethearts" running around here, he gets something different.

Oh the nicknames! Murray's got a few of them too...handsome, handsome hound, pumpkin, pumpkin pie, Murraykin (Murray+Munchkin) Bubs, Bubsy :) I love that Sea Bass has so many names too!

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
one of wifey's favorite TV series, SUITS. One of the main character is a witty, debonaire lawyer named Harvey Reginald Specter. Wife loves the show so much that she demanded the name Harvey Reginald Specter on his AKC certificate.

I'm not familiar with the show but what a great name- he sounds so suave :)

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
When we got Monty he was called Meaty but looking at him, it just didn't seem dignified enough. So we came up with Monty as it was close to his original name and we thought, suited him so much better. Plus, it reminds me of home!
Monty :) I love his avatar too what a great expression! He looks like a Monty Meatloaf to me :)

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
LOL We go thru a huge process starts with The Prettyone and Me .
We start with Female names we get from the internet , now they must be Old English female names as we always get a female and there is only one exception NO Elsie I Hate that name ( no offence if someone has that name )
We do our searches for names separate and then on a weekend compile all those names , it is a long process. We look for a great Full name and as we will be using a short form of that name that must also fit so for example Primrose = Rosie , Matilda = Tilly . Diva came to us as a save and she was I think 7 when I got her we did not pick that name but it fits her lol and of course would not change it at that stage of her life .
So We might have 3 or 4 pages each of names We have gathered over a week of looking and i am talking 8x10 sheets of paper lol , I go on the Friday and pick up 2 bottles of good white wine and we make a name picking date for the two of us , some cheese and all sorts of good nibbly food is present .
We go thru all names and keep narrowing them down too app 10, We then have by this time seen the pup involved at least twice and pick one that fits the personality we have seen in her . Most our dogs (5 now ) are saves and have been named and most times they are older dogs no one wants rare they are pups so we do not change there names Dakota was a exception ( Non-bully) his name originally was Parka , and to Me he did not look like My coat so after observing him for a week and calling him HEY YOU I decided to call him Dakota , Odin is a ODIN and came with a correct name , Willow is exactly that she is wonderful lol

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I had set in my mind to name my first Bulldog Rex, after the NY Jet coach at the time Rex Ryan who looks like a bulldog. When LIBR dropped him off they said his name was Chumley and i thought there is no way i could change that..it was perfect!

As for Hershey...I thought he was named because he came from Pa. but was told by [MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION] (Rick Rettinger), who raised him from a pup, and unfortunately had to give him away due to medical issues, that there was a time period after hershey was born that the vets didnt know if Hershey was a male or female due to a condition called Hypospadias...so he named him Hershey.. (a variation of He or she). That was very clever!

jdblodgett

Dec 7, 2015
Northern Virginia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnefred "Winni" "Da Poh"
My maiden name is Winn. My first dog when I was a baby--I don't even remember her--was a blonde cocker spaniel named Winnie Winn. I always wanted to name another of my dogs Winnie and when I finally got this little bully girl, "Winnie" seemed to fit just right. It seems like Winston is a common bulldog name (you know, Winston Churchilll and jowls and English), but Winnie's name came from a different place! So now I'm 65 and I have another Winnie!

Our family has recently added a beautiful little bully girl to the family and her name is also Winni. The breeder had her named as Winnifred and we were not sure at first about the name and thought to change it, but Winni grew on us quickly and we were too busy keeping up with her to try and change her name. She is a gem and Winni brings me joy every time I hear her name.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I got Tyson as a rescue, and he was already named. He's acquired many nicknames throughout the years: Marshmallow, Ty-Ty, Boo Boo, Handsome, Stinky (at times, lol) haha.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online