Tips Needed - taking Winslow on a weekend visit with family

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
We're having a whole family gathering type thing at my sister's new house in Vermont this weekend. She has a lot of room (lots of little rooms within her basement) and has told us that Winslow (almost 3 years old) is welcome to come.

So sweet! But I'm nervous about it, and need help with having this go as smoothly as possible. :ashamed:

We bring him to my dad's house for overnights and day trips, and for the most part he's good. It's the "settling down in an unfamiliar place" part that gets him, and this weekend there will be a toddler and cats. So there are three curveballs for us. :excited:

In the plans:
- TONS of walking. Tongue still in your mouth? Can't sleep? LET'S WALK.
- She has a "dog run" kind of thing. Almost like a laundry line that you can leash the dog to. No fenced in yard (no giant deck like at my dad's) but at least we can throw a ball around out there, as long as there is reasonable hope it won't snap.
- I just ordered these treats called "Composure" by VetriScience. link here. Was recommended to me by a very dog-knowing friend, so I will give them a go if I think it's necessary.
- Going to bring the pillow that goes on the chair where he sleeps, hopefully will be comforting
- We'll try to find an off leash area
- Worst case I'm looking into kennels in the area, but only if it's gone horribly wrong.

How do I introduce him to the cats??? He's never met one before!
We definitely won't leave them alone, but it would be good to at least try? He doesn't chase rabbits if that's any indication of his tolerance for them....

Both my husband and I are on the fence with boarding him. It would be SO much easier, but at the same time it will not help us in the future when we want to bring him somewhere. This is the learning part, and the more we do it, the sooner he'll (hopefully, maybe) become more comfortable with it.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Vermont's awesome!
I'm not so sure you should "introduce" Winslow to the cats, but if you do, leash! lol, been there;)Keep the leash on around the toddler too. Are you bringing a crate?
Crate, toys, leash, walks…hopefully it will go smooth and you won't have to board, if it's just a weekend.
Have an amazing time!!

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Oh yes, we are bringing his crate!
He gets an attitude when we keep him on the leash inside, for too long. I'd rather just have them keep distance and when he's tired/flopped on the floor, then that might be a better time for them. This is confusing haha.

As for the cats, definitely leash haha. At least initially but they'll probably be even more WTF! than he is and stay away. We can keep them in a room when he's out, switch in shifts of something.

Thanks laurie :)

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
If he doesn't chase rabbits he might be ok with the cats. Ruckus and Regina will chase a little because they want to meet the cat, but they leave it alone after a sniff and introduction....or a well placed hiss...

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
If he doesn't chase rabbits he might be ok with the cats. Ruckus and Regina will chase a little because they want to meet the cat, but they leave it alone after a sniff and introduction....or a well placed hiss...
:rofl: "well placed hiss"

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
"they'll probably be even more WTF! than he is…" :sarcastic:

Same here w/the settling down right away…any place we take Bass, he's super excited and anxious. I don't think he "napped" once during Thanksgiving at my in-laws (that's a rarity!) but I think due to a lot of people around than normal.
Take lots of pictures!! :bully::catluv:

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Exactly!! When we take him to my dad's, he will somewhat relax but otherwise excited and anxious like you said.
He's so used to.snuggling with me in his chair at night which i.think also plays a part.

Anyway i am hoping the Composure bites will help him to be relaxed, and realize how awesome that is! And eventually be able to settle down without.... Hoping!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Whenever I take my two to my sisters house, no matter how many times there.... they have to check out the WHOLE house. I leave the leash on and let them inspect the house while I follow them around... my sister has 3 cats and for the most part Lambeau keeps his distance and stares at them --- Cheli tries to chase them, but the cats are fast and tend to hide till we leave. Once they have finished inspection and settle in -- about 10 mins, I take of the leash and they tend to just hang in the living/dining room

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Whenever I take my two to my sisters house, no matter how many times there.... they have to check out the WHOLE house. I leave the leash on and let them inspect the house while I follow them around... my sister has 3 cats and for the most part Lambeau keeps his distance and stares at them --- Cheli tries to chase them, but the cats are fast and tend to hide till we leave. Once they have finished inspection and settle in -- about 10 mins, I take of the leash and they tend to just hang in the living/dining room
I'm sure it will.take him much longer than 10 minutes haha but i will try this approach! Give him some room, but on the leash/supervising so he knows not to take too much leeway.

Ah well, not much i can do but see how it goes! And to bring cheese doodles and various other bargaining tools. [emoji14]

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.