brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Tonight I think I actually died a little. Brutus gets 40mg of prozac with his dinner meal everynight. Well tonight I fed Brutus not knowing Gary had already fed him. He git a double dose of meds. I called the emergency vet on call for my regular vet and they said I had to rush him to the ER vet immediately so they could give iv pheno because the OD will could cause seizures. I asked if I could just induce vomiting since it was not even 5 minutes that he had the second pill. They didnt advise it and said my only other option was to call animal poison control if I didnt "want" to bring him to the ER. I called and spoke to two vets who assured me he might vomit and experience some diarrhea, since according to his weight he isnt even at a theraputic dose at 40 mg. He would have had to get alot more for it to be really dangerous. They said he may get sleepy but to make sure I can rouse him and to make sure he drinks water. I felt terrible since it was my mistake, I couldnt even look at him without losing it. When I knew he was going to be ok, I gor a little angry with the on call vet who made it sound like he was critical. I mean I will go to the ends of the earth for my boys, but I feel like they saw an opportunity to make a quick grand! I am just thanking god tonight my preciuos baby is ok.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Oh Rosalie! How scary for you. I'm so sorry that happened. I understand your anger too. I just today heard a similar story from my sister about taking her cat to emergency. They recommended some really expensive treatment that she couldn't afford. She refused the treatment, took her cat home and she got well with no treatment. So glad Brutus is okay and stop feeling guilty--accidents happen!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I'm glad to hear that Brutus is doing okay, Rosalie. When i was reading what you wrote the emergency vet told you to do I was just shaking my head and surprised. True, taking double a medication dose can be potentially harmful but to tell you to rush him to the ER like that just sounded rather irresponsible and over-reactive.

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
OMG what a scare !!!!!!!!!!! :ohmy: I would have panicked too ! But I am glad you finally got some advice and he will be o.k.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm so sorry this happened to you and Brutus Rosalie, you must have been so scared. I agree with others don't beat yourself up. I've fed my guys a second breakfast not knowing that my son or hubby had already fed them. I'm glad Brutus is okay. I'm usually am the one who feeds them I the morning, but if my son or hubby feed them, they will either put the bowls in the sink so I know they've been fed, or they will right it on the dry erase board on the fridge.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I'm sorry you had such a scare! Thank God he's OK now.

I'd have been in such a panic.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Very scary! I am glad that he will be okay! That is good for you to get a second opinion from other vets. Sometimes the emergency vet is the best option but other times it probably isn't necessary and can cause unnecessary stress on the dog and money.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Rosalie, honey I'm SO sorry… I know how much you worry about your babies. It's SO frustrating w/some vets, they completely overreact and it's hard to tell if it's something you should worry about versus are they just trying to get more BUCKS!!! I'm thankful that I have my vet's mobile number so I can call her just in case.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Rosalie, I'm so sorry this happened with Brutus and so glad he's okay! I'd be ready to rip that on call vet a new butthole and be looking for a new vet!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Good lord... I got teary-eyed reading this... So happy all is Ok -- that is terrifying.

:hugs:

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I'm mad and upset for you. Fluoxtine is based on weight.
I know 60mg for a dog that weighs 60lbs is fine, so 80 is not going to do any damage. He may just be out of it for a day.

Whoever you spoke with at the emergency clinic needs a kick in the arse.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] Oh Rosalie,so sorry this happened to you. Thank goodness that all turned out well for you and Brutus. Good that you made the other phone call,and you and Bru didn't have to go to the vet,and he didn't have to have the trauma of it. You could not have known it would be okay. The first one you called either didn't know, or is money hungry! I am happy that you and Brutus are okay,and certainly don't blame yourself.(easy to say,not so easy to do....I know) :heart:

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Tonight I think I actually died a little. Brutus gets 40mg of prozac with his dinner meal everynight. Well tonight I fed Brutus not knowing Gary had already fed him. He git a double dose of meds. I called the emergency vet on call for my regular vet and they said I had to rush him to the ER vet immediately so they could give iv pheno because the OD will could cause seizures. I asked if I could just induce vomiting since it was not even 5 minutes that he had the second pill. They didnt advise it and said my only other option was to call animal poison control if I didnt "want" to bring him to the ER. I called and spoke to two vets who assured me he might vomit and experience some diarrhea, since according to his weight he isnt even at a theraputic dose at 40 mg. He would have had to get alot more for it to be really dangerous. They said he may get sleepy but to make sure I can rouse him and to make sure he drinks water. I felt terrible since it was my mistake, I couldnt even look at him without losing it. When I knew he was going to be ok, I gor a little angry with the on call vet who made it sound like he was critical. I mean I will go to the ends of the earth for my boys, but I feel like they saw an opportunity to make a quick grand! I am just thanking god tonight my preciuos baby is ok.

MY God I am so happy all is good ( late on this so sorry ) Let those AsHoles Know word of mouth can kill there business !! I am so angry right now arrgggg
No Matter I have so loved your sig photo for so long I can not imagine , every post i look at the pic sorry its just Me maybe I am so happy things are better , Poop happens do not blame yourself you delt with it correctly as I would have for all My guys no question .

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.