what's the longest car ride..

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
your bully has went on?? My husband contemplated taking Chester for an hour car ride to go pick my daughter up at the ski slopes. I was afraid he might barf. At the very least, it was going to be a long ride if he got nervous and starting passing wind :down: But, have you taken your bully on a long car ride?

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH went to Ohio with us over Christmas. About 7 hours because we stopped extra for her. An hour probably wouldn't be a big deal as long as he is already ok with short trips around town.

mom2bullies

May 29, 2010
Auburn,WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chesty, Cadence and baby Echo and Mello (Delta)
We took Chesty across the U.S. when he was 1. That is from Seattle to Boston. Chesty loved it.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
We have gone on over 6 hours. It is in the RV which means they can get up, walk around and drink if they want too, but most of the time they just sit on my lap...:angry:

BosNReno09

Feb 23, 2011
Lewisville, Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Boston and Reno
We took our oldest Boston on a road trip to Fort Myers, FL from Dallas, TX this past summer. We stopped in Biloxi, MS both ways. He wore a seat belt and did great! We had to stop a lot more with him to get out and walk around, but other than that he was such a good dog! The hotel we stayed at in Biloxi was dog friendly and he was trying to makes friends with everyone.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hi,
We took at trip from Phx Az to Las Vegas (about 6 hrs) when our Poppa Mack was only 8 months old. We have an SUV, that we bedded in the back and he rode back there. We had been taking him for short rides to the petstore, vet, etc so he was somewhat ready to roll. We had people in the back seat that could keep an eye on him to watch for any symptoms. We made sure we stopped early for potty breaks and to give him a chance to get his "ground legs" back after the motion of the ride. He stood for the first 2 hours and would not lay down, but gravity finally took over and then he laid down. The trip was smooth, not problems, not accidents and enjoyed taking him to the LV~EBD Show.
Start off on short trips, and then work up.
BTW, we once shipped a puppy from Az to New York state and it was a 9 day van ride. Of couse the puppy was SOOOOO cute, the transporters held him the entire trip so I'm not sure if that counts or not?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Samson's longest trip was 4-5 hours and he has taken that drive MANY times. He is great in the car, always a VERY good boy. I think Chester will do fine. Samson never puked even on very windy mountain roads. Maybe just don't let him eat or drink alot RIGHT before the drive.

Mike Blaylock

Dec 27, 2010
Forest Park, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
SgtMjr. Duketavius (Duke) Bruiser USMC Ret.
Duke has been on several long hauls across the US. We have a cage that sits in the back of the van and it has a water attachment bottle to allow him a drink of water when ever he wants. We stop about every 2 hours to stretch and allow him to do his thing. We never feed him until we arrive or until we stop for the night. We do give him dog biscuits occassionally. So normally it takes him about 15 minutes on the road, and he's falling asleep in the cage.
For local trips (less than 1 hour) he just lays in the back seat of the van, or looks out the side windows. He never has gotten sick.......but.......when we arrive.......he always has to mark his territory. People driving by love to see him staring at them through the side windows. You'ld think he was a celebrity.

L

Lucy-licious

Lucy does well on all trips and has been on some big ones with her daddy whilst working.
When she was a baby though and we 1st brought her home she had a 3hr drive to endure with breaks of course, she wasnt keen but slowly got used to the car on short local trips. Now she enjoys being in the car :)

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
Jozi has made the trip from Arkansas
to Pa. and back. Its about 19 hours in
the car. She slept literally 17 hours of it.
She did great.

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Belly has only been on a trip a little over an hour...any longer and her tongue would fall off...she's a window licker

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Stig's been on a 4 hour ride when I volunteered to be the 'driver' for the day for a rescue. He did really well. I let him out to do his thing everytime I had to stop to get something, which was probably twice. He usually slept or looked out the window. I gave him treats every so often to keep him happy. He was also buckled which I think is a must for long rides.

I'm sure Chester's going to be ok. If you find him getting sick, just make a stop for some fresh air.

DeeDee

Feb 19, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Busters
Busters has been on a 5 hour car ride. He does just fine. We always make sure that he either has his seatbelt on or is in his pen on the back seat! He doesn't mind either and has never gotten sick. The first few times we took him places, they were "fun" places. So when we put him in the car he gets really excited!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.