2bulldogsstuff

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
No tylenol, but baby aspirin is okay. Otherwise a benedryl will help make him drowsy at least and relax a little. If it is just cracked he should be ok.

How many milligram for baby aspirin and Benadryl? Chose children Benadryl? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
How many milligram for baby aspirin and Benadryl? Chose children Benadryl? Thank you

1 baby aspirin is good, this same exact thing has happened to Buster before. You can call your vet and they may prescribe some rymadol for pain. But honestly by Wednesday I bet he will feel a bunch better, just give him an extra dose of love and cookies. How much does Brett weigh?

OP
2bulldogsstuff

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
1 baby aspirin is good, this same exact thing has happened to Buster before. You can call your vet and they may prescribe some rymadol for pain. But honestly by Wednesday I bet he will feel a bunch better, just give him an extra dose of love and cookies.

Thank you! I hope so too.

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
Canelo had a broken nail similar to yours where I was cracked but it was hanging too. And it bled. He favored it so much so I would warm water in a bowl, put two tablespoons of Epsom salt and soak his foot in it. It was way up in the quick so I couldn't and wouldn't cut it. He tolerated the soakings and 3 days later the broken bit was gone. I kept soaking and cleaning with peroxide. Soaking might help with soothing her foot,cop or baby.

OP
2bulldogsstuff

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo had a broken nail similar to yours where I was cracked but it was hanging too. And it bled. He favored it so much so I would warm water in a bowl, put two tablespoons of Epsom salt and soak his foot in it. It was way up in the quick so I couldn't and wouldn't cut it. He tolerated the soakings and 3 days later the broken bit was gone. I kept soaking and cleaning with peroxide. Soaking might help with soothing her foot,cop or baby.

Was Canelo limping too? Brett doesn't want to put pressure on it. It's not bleeding. Just seems cracked. It probably got pulled too hard or something

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
A similar thing happened to my friend's dog when she was playing with Ruckus. The dog's nail got caught on the rug and she ripped it half off near the paw, just like this. We took her to the vet and they clipped it off and told us to do epsom salt soaks for a few days. If it's almost all the way broken off, and if he'll let you, he might get more relief if the nail is totally gone. Otherwise, I agree if you soak it and pamper him for a few days it will fall off on it's own. Poor guy, I hope he feels better soon!

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
He favored it and would limp a bit. Your baby's looks clean. If the groomers struggled with him, he may have pulled something, or pulled away when they were clipping his nails. Keep an eye on it, give him baby aspirin, and keep an eye on it. If he's still limping Wednesday morning, call your vet for sure and get in before the start of the holiday.

Canelo gives groomers a hard time, he hates nail trims, even if I do it. I do his a tiny bit at a time so it takes several days to trim his nails. He seems to be OK with a tiny bit at a time. I've only asked my vet's techs to clip his nails and he does good with them after trying once at Petsmart and talk about the groomers struggling with them, oh my word he was so hard headed, it was a physical challenge. You are on the right track.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Was Canelo limping too? Brett doesn't want to put pressure on it. It's not bleeding. Just seems cracked. It probably got pulled too hard or something

How is he this morning?

OP
2bulldogsstuff

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
How is he this morning?

He still a little limping. Gave him baby aspirin last night and definitely helped. I'll keep an eye on him again today. Thank you :)

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I accidentally clipped the quick on Penny's nail before- it bled for 2 days off and on. After that I bought a dremmel. My neighbor is a groomer so she showed me how to do it. Both Penny and Lockjaw are used to it now. Lockjaw tolerates it, and Penny just lays back and let's me do whatever I want! Lol - would he let you clip or dremmel down his nails?

OP
2bulldogsstuff

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I accidentally clipped the quick on Penny's nail before- it bled for 2 days off and on. After that I bought a dremmel. My neighbor is a groomer so she showed me how to do it. Both Penny and Lockjaw are used to it now. Lockjaw tolerates it, and Penny just lays back and let's me do whatever I want! Lol - would he let you clip or dremmel down his nails?
I tried with the clippers. They both think it's play time with mum! [emoji30][emoji23] I'll buy the dremmel.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
DOGS > SKIN AND HAIR CONDITIONS

[h=1]Treating a Broken Dog Nail[/h]

Treating a broken dog nail can be easy when ordered into a step-by-step process. If the nail is not broken, simply trim off the ragged edges with a nail file or a dog nail trimmer, depending on how far away the break is from the quick. If the nail is broken or split or [COLOR=#F3933B !important]cracked to the quick and bleeding, follow this guide:

[h=2]How to Treat a Broken Nail[/h]
  1. Apply a coagulant such as styptic powder, [COLOR=#F3933B !important]flour[/COLOR], or cornstarch to stop the bleeding.
  2. Apply an over-the-counter antibiotic cream or gel, such as Neosporin to prevent infection and soothe the wound.
  3. Bandage the area, securing it with surgical tape to prevent your dog from licking off the ointment and to prevent dirt from getting into the wound.
  4. Monitor your dog for the next couple of days and don't let him walk on the cement for the next two or three days (or the scab will scrape off).
[h=2]How to Treat a Split Nail[/h]Like a broken nail, a split toenail can easily be treated without going to the vet.

1. Trim off any rough edges with a nail file. Make sure not to use a dog nail trimmer, because this could make the crack worse.
  2. If it's bleeding, [COLOR=#F3933B !important]pack[/COLOR] on some coagulant, such as styptic powder, flour, or cornstarch and apply an over-the-counter antibiotic.
  3. Watch it and keep it trimmed until the split grows out.
  4. Applying a hardening clear nail polish can keep the split nail together until it grows out. Take care not to let your dog lick the nail polish while it is still drying.
[h=2]Some Nail Care Tips[/h]
  • If the paw gets red and sore, soak it in Epsom salted water, careful not to let your pet drink the water.
  • If the nail isn't healing, or your dog begins to limp, you should make an appointment with your vet.
  • If your dog picks at the tape on a broken nail and tries to tear it off, cover the paw with a sock and secure it to the leg with surgical tape.
  • 1/2 tsp of [COLOR=#F3933B !important]olive oil[/COLOR] mixed into your dog's [COLOR=#F3933B !important]food[/COLOR] everyday will strengthen his nails and prevent future breaks and splits.

[/COLOR]

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.