I have to vet, sorry little long

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
I just need to vent.. hope its ok to do it here but I gotta get it off my chest..
My niece calls me all upset because when she got home from work her cat was acting strange, not his normal self coming out to meet her.. says the cat vomited everywhere and she found him under the bed. When she tried to coax him out he hissed at her.. Ok.. here is what makes me mad... she calls vet... vet says she can bring him in next morning at 8:00.. she calls and tells me this.. I said did you tell vet how serious the cat is and ask them if they thought it would be ok that she waited that long?.. she said I did but they didn't act concerned., ok, I'm just starting to get a little upset.. I told her to call them back and explain everything even what the vomit looked like, I know they can't give a diagnosis over phone but maybe get an idea of how serious I thought it was and I did not think she should wait.. again, vet said if your that worried take it to emergency vet..
ok.. our emergency vet around here does not open until 6:00pm after regular vet hours close.. so again she has to wait.. in the mean time the cat came out and started acting better, even purred a little. so I tell her to go ahead an just keep her appointment for the next morning that the vet made and watch him close.. ok.. next morning at 5:00am she's calling me, cat is throwing up again.. I said get him to vet appointment.. she gets her son off to school. and cat is hiding under bed again, once she finds him she calls vet to tell them she will be 5 minutes late due to fact she could not find cat that was hiding.. ok. she gets to vet 5 minutes late and they tell her they can not look at her cat because they got an emergency surgery, told her she can wait a few hours or go home and they will call but probably wouldn't be til after 4:00 or 5:00pm , Her appointment was at 8:00 am.. she got there at 8:05 am..

so she goes home worrying about her cat.. she decides to call a few other vets hoping to get him in sooner. Every vet in our area gave her same story.. can't until later today or tomorrow... I can not believe first, how can they make you an appointment then tell you to go home we will call you, second, how can not one single vet take it in... I thought the whole idea of a vets occupation was to save pets and help them.. apparently not in my neighborhood... I almost lied and was going to take it to the vet I go to and pretend it was my cat, only reason she could not go there is because my vet is not taking new patients.. but really,, none of the 4 places she called acted a bit concerned if the cat lived or died...
she decides her only option was to wait it out till she could take him for her late appointment... so she leaves him at her place for just an hour because of another appointment she had and when she returns home the cat threw up (sorry to be graphic) but turns out it threw up Styrofoam and a magnet from her sons toy... and he was eating, using litter box and drinking, then came to door to greet her and playing with her feet.. back to normal self.. she's still keeping close eye on him but sounds as though he had this lodged in his throat.. thankfully he was able to get it up himself.. I am just appalled at the actions of the vets around here.. and people wonder why I drive 3 hours away when I have something serious with my dogs... sorry I had to vent..... I know there are some good vets and I do have a good one. just sorry that she can't get in to her for care on her cat.. maybe i'm not understanding something about them.. I know her cat is no more important then everyone else's but that was crazy

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That is crazy, I can't understand why a vet office would tell her they couldn't help here when she had an 8:00 appointment. That's not cool, she should find a new vet. I hope the cat is ok and everything will be ok.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
That's just ****!
should have taken him in for her appointment so what five minutes late you normally sit and wait longer than five minutes past your appointment time.

its the same here with doctors cant ever get in have to wait for weeks you tell them your really sick and they say go up to Emergency.

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
That's disgusting! I would put in a complaint about that vet and also report them, vets have a duty of care to there patients. I have been over 15minutes late for a vet appointment before, and never was I turned away yeah I may of had to wait a little while longer but I didn't mind that as it was my own fault I was late in the first place. That poor cat and your niece was obviously in distress and need the medical opinion of a trained professional to be turned away is a joke surely they must have other vets in the practice that could of seen her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
its the same here with doctors cant ever get in have to wait for weeks you tell them your really sick and they say go up to Emergency.[/QUOTE]

We have the same problem with the GP's over here in England too, I once rang for an appointment to be told sorry all our appointments are booked up for the next month, for emergency appointments we have to ring at 8am but you can never get through when you finally do all appointments are gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
That is appalling .... how can 4 offices not have room for an emergency appointment!! just uncalled for

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I don't blame you for needing to vent, Gail [MENTION=295]punky[/MENTION]! The vet I used to go to was very good, but he was the only vet in his practice. I always had to make an appointment to bring a dog in and if it was a Wednesday (his day off) or if he was already booked up, well it was too bad. It was infuriating because in my experience, when you have a sick dog, you need them to be seen ASAP--not tomorrow. I had a back-up vet that I could see when that happened--it was an office where there were several vets and I was never turned away. I'm glad the cat threw up the stuff and is okay!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Unbelievable… Vets around here LOVE emergency calls so they can charge you an extra $50 on top of your visit… Lol If I were her, I would go ahead and start looking for a new vet clinic.

OP
punky

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
I just could not believe they told her to go home and they would call when they had time to see it.. and I know that vet has more then one vet.. even if a vet tech would have looked at it may have been able to help it.. I never liked that place. a good vet could make a fortune if they came to this town.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.