Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
There are so many benefits to write about when it comes to using ACV, for yourself and for your pet, but I will keep this strictly canine candid. There is a very informative piece by Dr. Alicia McWatters, Ph.D., C.N.C. on the BRAGG* website. The link is included at the bottom, along with other sources. Bragg is the brand of apple cider vinegar that we use and trust.

The purpose of this piece is to highlight some of the many reasons to introduce ACV into your bulldog's health regimen. ACV is mentioned quite a bit throughout EBN and I hope to address a few of the main *frequently asked questions, *ailments and *suggestions within the forum.

FAQ

Why apple cider vinegar?

Apple Cider vinegar is beneficial due to the enzymes and gut-friendly bacteria.
According to *Organic Pet Digest (OPD), apple cider vinegar is their natural remedy at fighting diseases and addressing common issues in dogs.
Some of the highlighted benefits deal with *boosting your dog's immune system, *aiding with skin and hair (i.e. hotspots, redness, swelling, dander, scratching, allergies, fleas, pests and bites). It offers powerful detoxifying essentials for vital organs, *fights urinary tract infections *provides relief from arthritis symptoms. It's also known to be a help with cancer, cholesterol, cramping, kidney and bladder stones, fatigue, metabolism and (a common enemy among bulldog owners) CANDIDA.

Almost anyone that has the luxury of owning a bulldog also shares in battling candida, other wise known as YEAST. Yeast is a huge problem amongst this breed and if not addressed or controlled can wreak havoc on you and your precious bully's health. There are many threads throughout EBN that address this issue. One common denominator in combating canine candidiasis is ACV. The reason being is that ACV tackles yeast and fungus from the inside out by creating a more alkalizing environment which, in turn, encourages the growth of beneficial bacteria. Many of you already know that diet is HUGE when it comes to raising a happy, healthy bulldog, by adding live cultures to your bully's diet, you are helping to combat and/or prevent yeast overgrowth. Signs of yeast in bulldogs include brown, red or "off" coloring in the fur (especially below the eyes, on the chin and in-between their paws. Other signs include brown discharge in the ear, constant itching or licking of paws, rubbing head/ears against surfaces to relieve itching. If you notice these signs, there is a good chance that your precious pup is battling yeast and he/she should be examined by your vet to ensure a proper diagnosis. Upon a positive diagnosis of yeast, ask your vet if it would be a good idea to start an Apple Cider Vinegar regimen.

Why use (raw) organic, unfiltered ACV with the "mother" in it?
Organic, unfiltered ACV has not been pasteurized. When vinegar is pasteurized and/or distilled, the natural nutrients, enzymes and minerals are destroyed during the process and offer no nutritional value. The "mother" is "that stringy, brown stuff" floating around in the bottle. Upon purchasing, you want to look for a "tea colored" liquid with floating bits and a sedimented bottom, it's this special concoction that gives raw, unfiltered vinegar it's magic!

From Bragg's website…"ACV can provide (dogs) with enzymes and important minerals, such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, chlorine, phosphorus, iron silicon and other trace minerals." Dr. Alicia McWatters, Ph.D., C.N.C. (Certified Nutritional Consultant). She goes on to mention the many vitamins, minerals and other substances (tannins and pectin being two) that are an important part of a balanced diet. OPD states that there are more than 30 important nutrients, 12 minerals, 6 vitamins along with essential acids and enzymes in ACV with the "mother" in it.

How should I use ACV for my English Bulldog?

As a supplement: You can add ACV to your bulldog's food or water once daily. The recommended dose is one teaspoon to one tablespoon, depending on tolerance, weight and age. A weight/dose chart is at the end of this article, but to keep it simple…one capful a day.

Dr. McWatters recommends only adding it to their food, as she feels water should be free of additives. Some bulldogs don't like the taste and may refuse to drink their water, another reason to consider adding to their food instead.

As a conditioner: After bathing, use ACV as a final rinse. Dilute 1 cup ACV with 2-4 cups of water into a rinse cup. Pour the rinse over their coat, being sure to avoid the eye area.

As a paw soak: Fill tub or bucket with warm water to fully cover paw(s) add a cup to a cup and one half of ACV , allow a 10-15 minute soak.

Should I use filtered or distilled water?

It is advised to use filtered or distilled water (note: caution w/using distilled water long term due to deficiencies and health concerns) for your bulldog's drinking dish (preferably stainless steel). You do not need to filter or use distilled water for a rinse or soak.

Where can I find organic, unfiltered ACV with the "mother"?
You should be able to find ACV at your local grocery store. With more and more companies offering healthy, organic options, the selection is greater now than it was a few years back.There are also online options if you discover a brand that comes recommended but that your local store does not carry.

Does any brand work just as well?
From my experience NO! This is one product that you will want to spend a few more cents on. The most important thing to check for is that it be unfiltered with the "mother" in it and that it has a 5-6 percent acetic acid. "Commercially distilled vinegar has no health benefits" ~ Organic Pet Digest article.

Are there any negative side effects or dangers?
I have not read of many negative side effects. Some articles suggest using ACV straight on, as a spray, for hotspot treatments. This could sting your bulldog if he/she has an open wound or sensitive skin. I recommend diluting it. Always avoid the eyes and eye area.
There are also concerns about ACV having a negative effect on tooth enamel. This is true with humans, but I have yet to find concrete evidence or a reputable source stating ACV causes tooth decay in canines. In fact, according to a "My Itchy Dog" online article, "there is evidence that the acidity levels in ACV helps to breakdown plaque and tartar on teeth".

Measuring chart according to "Vinegar Dog Treatments" Natchez Trace Veterinary Services.

**As a general supplement and to use as a digestive aid, a good rule of thumb is to start at 1 teaspoon per 50 lbs of body weight mixed in your pet’s food twice daily.

• Pets 5- 12.5 lbs – 1/4 tsp twice daily
  • Pets 12.5-25 lbs – 1/2 tsp twice daily
  • Pets 25 – 37.5 lbs – 3/4 tsp twice daily
  • Pets 37.50-50 lbs 1 tsp twice daily
  • Pets 50-62.5 lbs 1 1/4 tsp twice daily
  • Pets 62.5-75 lbs 1 1/2 tsp twice daily
  • Pets 75-87.5 lbs 1 3/4 tsp twice daily
  • Pets 87.5 – 100 lbs 2 tsp twice daily
  • and so forth…
"If your pet ingests the above dosage with no problem, you can up the dose to as high as 1 tsp per 15 lbs twice daily."
**Article Source posted on 9/14/12 by Becki Baumgartner for Franklin and Nashville "Natchez Trace Veterinary Services"
which also sited EarthClinic, OPD and The Whole Dog Journal.

The information above is to be used as a guide in researching the benefits of ACV. The content is based upon carefully selected articles, web sites and reputable sources. As always, it is important to consult your veterinarian ahead of time before starting a new regimen. I also suggest keeping a daily journal when starting anything new with your bulldog's diet and nutrition.

In an online article by EARTHCLINIC, a holistic health practitioner added some interesting notes after she read the ACV book by BRAGG.

"Gretchin from Coronado, Ca writes 'You can check your dog's ph balance status with ph strips available at any local pharmacy. Just slip the strip into the stream of your dog's urine first thing in the morning. A reading of 6.2 to 6.5 shows a healthy pooch pH. Readings around 7.5 or higher are a bit too alkaline, but acidic readings below 6.0 are too acidic and of more concern. Try to adjust your dog's diet accordingly, and using ACV will also re-establish the correct balance."

She then goes on to say "keeping a good pH is important, since pests like fleas, ticks, flies, bacteria, parasites, ringworm, fungi, staphylococcus, streptococcus, pneumococcus, and mange are less likely to bother dogs with an alkaline system inside and slightly acidic mantle outside. Since apple cider vinegar makes the skin more acidic but has an alkalizing effect inside the body, it's the perfect treatment for pets. It's also worth noting that fleas can be drowned in soapy water and the ACV rinse makes the skin too acidic for re-infestation."

Articles, Sources and References

Braggs
http://bragg.com/index.html
(you can find the pet info under the HEALTH INFO tab and choose HEALTHY PETS)

Creature Comfort Pet Emporium
for my own individual information/research on Urine Ph
http://www.acreaturecomfort.com/canineurineanalysis.htm

Dr. Mercola:
What the research really says about ACV
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/06/02/apple-cider-vinegar-hype.aspx

EARTHCLINIC
"Apple Cider Vinegar for Dogs"
http://www.earthclinic.com/pets/acvfordogs.html

Gerson Institute
8 Amazing Uses for Apple Cider Vinegar
https://gerson.org/gerpress/8-amazing-uses-for-apple-cider-vinegar/

Livestrong
http://www.livestrong.com/article/497150-what-is-the-difference-between-cider-vinegar-apple-cider-vinegar/by Janelle Commins
http://www.livestrong.com/article/368273-is-braggs-raw-apple-cider-vinegar-good-for-systemic-candida/
Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar Featured in Livestrong by Maura Shenker
http://bragg.com/blog/index.php/all-natural-organic-whole-live-foods/bragg-organic-apple-cider-vinegar-featured-in-livestrong-article/

My Itchy Dog
http://www.myitchydog.co.uk/blog/why-apple-cider-vinegar-is-good-for-your-dog.html

Natchez Trace Veterinary Services "Vinegar Dog Treatments"
http://franklintnvet.com/vinegar-dog-treatments/

National Canine Cancer Foundation
"Blog"
for cross references purposes, research sources and section on
The Amazing Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar for Dogs dated Friday, Aug. 14, 2015
cross referencing PetGuide.com article by Kate Barrington dated Aug. 10, 2015
http://www.wearethecure.org/blog/category/dogs-health/
http://www.petguide.com/health/dog/the-amazing-benefits-of-apple-cider-vinegar-for-dogs/

Natural Dog Health Remedies
http://www.natural-dog-health-remedies.com/dog-yeast-infections.html

OPD - Organic Pet Digest.com
"Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar - Mother Nature's Miracle Medicine"
site web page

CFAH (for accurate research sources)

Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine (for research sources)
The Ohio State University Veterinary Medical Center public online information (for research sources)

Below are some selected threads, quotes and links highlighted from the EBN forum to help aid your search on a specific issue

EBN THREADS

Posted by BullMama
Do you use Apple Cider Vinegar?
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/english-bulldog-faq/40599-faq-apple-cider-vinegar.html

Posted by Sarah Elizabeth
Possible reaction to ACV
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/35153-reaction-acv.html

Posted by Sherry
Benefits of Apple cider vinegar
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ition/11069-benefits-apple-cider-vinegar.html

QUOTES directly from EBN members regarding ACV.

Quote from GatorRay regarding sores in between toes
I have found from listening to others' stories and from personal experience that they can be caused by an allergy. Often, it is a food allergy. You may want to consider a change in food if they are re-occuring. A change in protein can be a good start. I used peroxide but I think, if I had known, I would have done epsom salt as well.
For yeast, you can do a 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegarand clean the area. That can often help as the acv kills the yeast. However, the yeast is a symptom, again, usually of an allergy.

Quote from Petra regarding coarse hair

Maybe his fur is a bit rough naturally? My bulldogs have very different fur, Boeboe is soft like velvet while Joey and Bennie has got rougher longer hairs that sticks to everything. They are still kind of soft but the hairs are totally different from Boeboe. It sounds like yours are still puppies? The hair might change over time. If he doesn't have any medical issues such as rashes or redness I wouldn't worry to much about it. I think someone here said that rinsing them with a mix of water and AppleCider Vinegar after bath keeps them soft... but I don't remember the ratio

Quote from elearn regarding itchy feet
i have used johnsons oatmeal baby wash just to wipe Herman down. but you might want to get a medicated shampoo to help with the itchy feet. or maybe if it is yeast, i believe rinsing his feet with Apple cider vinegar can help.
maybe stop putting that malacetic ultra in there, it could be too strong right now.

Quote from Vikinggirl regarding preventative use
"Yes we use Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar. I add 1 Tbsp. to their drinking water everyday, I have done this since they were 10 weeks old, so they are used to it. They don't know their water any way else. (For those who's dogs don't like the smell or the taste of the ACV, you can also add it to their kibble.). I give it to them for preventative reasons, there are so many positive health benefits to ACV, such as its a natural anti inflammatory, ( 99% of all diseases including Arthritis is caused by inflammation in the body), it kills the bad bacteria in the body so boosts the immune system, which is beneficial for fighting infections, parasites, and allergy symptoms ( allergies are caused by an abnormal response of the immune system), and it also balances the Ph levels of the blood. Blossom has so many allergies to chicken, salmon, and her new one beef, corn and grains, so I hope being proactive and giving her ACV, Probiotics, and good quality food will help her to boost her immune system and fight the allergy symptoms. A strong immune system will also help fight infections, parasites, and bladder infections from the Inside. I haven't had any negative reactions to them having ACV. I also like the fact that these supplements are natural instead of medications, and they are also cheap to use, ACV costs $9.99 a bottle,I buy it at Nutrition House, yogurt is about $5.00 at Costco, and Coconut Oil is about $20.00 for a big container at Costco as well."

Quote from RiiSi regarding new mom, sick bully. I'm also including the link for this as I think it's essential for one researching UTI info...
2) If the struvites are only being caused by the UTI and they clean up after antibiotics, wont using cranberry pills and apple cider vinegar actually harm her and make the oxalates worse? Yes they will.
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/27180-please-help-mom-sick-bully-2.html

Quote from cowsmom regarding home cooking, setbacks and questions
ok ive been doing the yeast thing with sarah for ever so long and the swollen red paws and the ears and all that. i think ive seen about every reaction a dog can have. yeast is allergies not carbs. you are feeding your dog some thing it is allergic to hence the swollen paws and the patch of hair loss and such. if you are home cooking then the best thing to do is start with a protein and a carb. chicken and brown rice for like 4 or 5 days or so. if thats ok then you should start to see these things go away. if so then after 4 or 5 days then add another thing such as perhaps green beans. same thing if ok or 4 or 5 days cool. all the while you should see improvement. if thing start to get worse or dont change then try some thing else. i think you get the idea. i had to do this with sarah as i had her on literally prolly 30 kibbles and freeze dried raw dehydrated you name it. now for the paws and coat. duoxo ps shampoo is awsome to shampoo and soak the paws while shampooing. duoxo pads can be used all over in between bathing. apple cidar vinegar can be used mixed with water 1/2 and 1/2 on the paws and as a rinse after shampooing and in the ears and such if you dont have duoxo yet as it will probably have to be ordered. get braggs with mother in it if you can. ok now for the immune system as yeast overgrowth is a low immune system as well. i would add these things in slowly also. probiotic-i just use one from the drug store or grocery store but they say use one that does not need refridgeration. i am also giving sarah a garlic pill once a day also from the drug store. you can get some coq10 50 mg
once a day from the drug store. if you want i can find a kibble with none of those things but i really thing a home cooking test for allergy foods will tell you more than a test did or at least it did for me as i had sarah tested to. good luck and if you need more help I'm around

Quote from Marine91 regarding "How much water and how much ACV do you use?"
We do 1 cup ACV to 1 gallon of water

Quote from RaRett regarding solution for yeasty paws
1 part AppleCiderVinegar
1 part Hydrogen Peroxide
2 parts water
I have Gizmo stand in the solution (On paw at a time)- and I work it into her paws, between her toes etc we call it 'PICKLING GIZMO's PAWS' and it works, and the solution is VERY VERY Inexpensive to make up.
With Yeast infestations (yes, INFESTATIONS because you need to kill the colony of the yeast) you need to clean their bedding, and you might want to change their food, if there isnt any improvement, we got Gizmo off of Chicken based and on to Salmon based food and now we 'occasionally' pickle her paws. we were doing it 2x a day for a week or 10 days.

Quote from Ashleym regarding "pinkish neck"
Oh that looks painful. Try to keep it dry it could lead to something worse. I try to wipe Fergus's chin and neck when ever I see him drink. Every night i wipe his chin and neck down with witch hazel pad. If I notice redness or bumps I will put some destin on the area helps to keep the area dry. You might also want to try Duoxo Pads (can buy thru Amazon) I dont use the duoxo pad every night only if I see a lot of pink or suspect yeast. I would also give him a bath and use a applevinegar rinse it sounds weird but it really works. Leave the vinegar on do not rinse off let it soak in then towel dry him off after a few minutes.
Also make sure you are using stainless steel bowls and wash them once a day.

Quote from RescueMe regarding Kidney Stones
What is the vet doing for her? Gracie has battled kidney stones all summer. Lots of antibiotics, applecider vinegar in her water.

Quote from flkjr2 regarding new puppy stinks!!!!BAD
So I just gave Z a bath and I used apple cider vinegar rinse that I saw posted on this site....Awesome!! Im impressed simply by how he smells after the rinse! No wet dog smell!

Quote from Noyes27 regarding ACV (at Walmart)
Not sure of it is just my location, but I could never find apple cider vinegar at walmart
before and the staff always thought I was crazy. I found it today! There was only one with the mother which suprisingly enough was Heinz brand, but a big bottle was way cheaper then the little bottle I bought at GNC. Just thought id share!
Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Quote from bulliemama regarding Switching to Fromm...
thank you. You're right about the Fromm, it's a great food. Franklin's stool has improved greatly and he absolutely loves it. I just hope he doesn't have any yeast issues in the future. I've been adding a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to his water once a day to help prevent this. Poor guy already had yeast infection in his ears and with daily cleaning and medication it's finally better. Just hope the potatoes don't cause any problems. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Quote from xsubsailor regarding Flea and Tick Treatment
I have read that adding apple cider vinegar (ACV) helps keeps bugs off the pooches. In another post, Angelgirl explained that she has had success with the ACV keeping the bugs off because it's supposed to make their skin acidic which fleas are not supposed to like.

Quote from Angelgirl regarding Raw Diet
On a subject like raw feeding, everyone has an opinion. It's best to do a lot of research and figure out what will work best for you and your dog. I started out with premade raw frozen but it was sooo expensive. Then we tried grinding our own with 40 lbs of chicken necks. That failed so I looked in yahoo groups for local co-ops to buy raw food. I found an awesome place that has a pick up 15 minutes from my house. The mix comes with everything in it including organic whole eggs and applecider vinegar .i'm so glad to have this board to get ideas from all the seasoned pro's no matter how you decide you want to feed raw.

Quote from Vikinggirl regarding Ways to raise immune system
Hi, the plain yogurt is a good supplement to give her to boost her immunities, plus you can add a Tbsp of apple cider vinegar either to her drinking water or to her kibble everyday, there are a lot of benefits to ACV, it is a natural anti inflammatory, it kills bad bacteria in the body, so this boosts the immune system, it helps with bad breath, and it balances the Ph levels in the blood.
Benefits of Applecidervinegar
Current Article
By Singing The Praises Of Apple Cider Vinegar on Jul 6, 2008 in Dr.Jeannie, Dog Health - Immune System, Dog Breeders Corner, Dog Heart Health, Dog Nutrition, Doggone Home & Garden
Stuff
AppleCiderVinegar
Apple cider is known around the world as Mother Nature’s miracle medicine, a powerful weapon in the war against aging and disease that is more effective than many high-priced prescription drugs. When God created this fruit He designed it be a food and a medicine!
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is golden liquid concentrated with the healthy goodness of apples. It contains more than 30 important nutrients, 12 minerals, over 6 vitamins, essential acids and several enzymes. Moreover, it has a large dose of pectin for a healthy heart, and thus, healthy as a whole.
Many vitamins, minerals and other nutrients and substances are available in ACV to improve the health of your dog. ACV can provide them with enzymes and important minerals, such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, chlorine,
phosphorus, iron, silicon and other trace minerals. The vitamins contained in ACV are bioflavonoids (vitamin P), beta-carotene (precursor to vitamin A), vitamin C, E, B1, B2, and B6. Tannins from the crushed cell walls of fresh apples as well as malic acid, tartaric acid, propionic acid, acetic acid and pectin (fiber) are also contained in ACV.
ACV is cheap, easy to use and it really benefits our health in numerous ways. ACV can benefit both people and their pets. It is antibacterial and anti-fungal and gives the immune system a good boost. As a high potassium electrolyte balancer, it remineralizes the body and helps normalizethe blood’s alkaline acid balance.ACV is the natural king of skin remedies. It is wonderful for itching and scratching pets as well as a superb skin and hair conditioner. Good old apple cider vinegar either straight or diluted 50/50 with water can be applied directly to the affected area and allowed to dry. It will kill bacteria on hot spots, eliminate dandruff, rejuvenate hair, skin and help sweeten and balance the pH levels in the body. When giving your dpg a bath, shampoo, rinse, then apply ACV either straight or diluted, followed by rinsing with water. Notice, any residue shampoo will be washed out and you will feel and see an increased softness and sheen to the coat.
Apple cider vinegar is a powerful detoxifying and purifying agent. It breaks down fatty, mucous and phlegm deposits within the body. By breaking down these substances it improves the health and function of the vital organs, such as the kidneys, bladder and liver, by preventing excessively alkaline urine. Put a tablespoon of ACV in your dog’s drinking water every day and you will no longer have those brown spots in your lawn from the dog’s urine.
This powerful potion also promotes digestion, assimilation and elimination, all the while neutralizing any toxic substances that enter the body. Cider vinegar has been found to ..neutralize any harmful bacteria that may be found in certain foods. While dogs and cats do not have to worry too much about the bacteria in raw meat, if YOU are in doubt, you can pour a little Apple Cider Vinegar over thier raw meal.
Cider vinegar can also be beneficial for symptoms such as tooth decay and splitting of your dog’s toenails, which can be symptoms of potassium deficiency. Potassium is essential for the replacement of worn-out tissues within the body. This mineral is also important to soft tissue repair, as calcium is to the bones and teeth which makes it a wonderful supplement for senior dogs.
Tests have proven that when potassium, in the form of cider vinegar is fed to livestock their appearance improves and their stamina increases.
Cider vinegar is thought to be beneficial in the treatment of arthritis, as a supplement added to your pet’s daily water supply (or poured over the food) or with compresses soaked in hot vinegar applied directly to the joints. It is also thought to be helpful when used to treat allergies, osteoporosis, cancer, candida, high cholesterol, constipation, muscle cramps, colitis, diabetes, diarrhea, depression, dizziness, ear discharge, eczema, fatigue, kidney stones, kidney and bladder problems, metabolism, and stiff joints.
The supplementation of ACV has been known to naturally remove red tear stains from the inside out. It is also used by many to prevent fleas when used in a rinse for the dog’s coat.
Recently, Dr. Louis Ducarre of Geneva, Switzerland, author of the fairly new book,Natural Cures, Natural Life states that when mixed with honey, apple cider becomes potent enough to cure cancer, heart disease and other deadly ailments .
Natural apple cider vinegar is found in health food stores. It should be a rich amber color with the “mother” quite visible as sentiment on the bottom. The strength of vinegar is important. All varieties of vinegar contain about 4 to 7 percent acetic acid, with 5 percent being the most common amount. Acetic acid is what gives vinegar its tart and sour taste.
There is nothing beneficial about commercial distilled vinegars except for pickling, cleaning and disinfection —they have no health value!
Bragg, Paul and Linda, N.D., Ph.D., “Apple Cider Vinegar, Miracle Health System”, Published Health Science, Santa Barbara, California
Jarvis, D.C, M.D., D.C. “Folk Medicine”, and“Arthritis and Folk Medicine”, Published Fawcett Publications, Inc., Greenwich, Connecticut
Puotinen, C.J., “

Last edited:
OP
NewEnglandBully

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
This is a great post. Another Member Sherry also has an article that she posted on EBN regarding ACV. Here is the link to her article.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...s-apple-cider-vinegar.html?highlight=Benefits

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I will be sure to edit my post and add it to the thread/quote section.
I greatly enjoyed the article and the comments, especially enjoyed learning about Dr. Louis Ducarre. My favorite was a quote from Jack Daniels
"I was at a local Mom & Pop Pet Supply store today buying a small bag of
a new kibble im going to try . And I remembered this thread.
I asked the owner about using Apple Cider and she totally agreed with all the benefits we are describing here. However, she said to only buy the Organic type found at Whole Food stores. She said the correct apple cider vinegar to use will appear cloudy , and Do not use the one that is readily available at your local grocers."

chopkins

Nov 15, 2013
Chicago, IL
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ernie
Great post Laura, thank you! I purchased this today to combat Ernie's yeast infection. He's 5 yr old and this is the first time I've had to battle this infection. Before I think to switch food from Natural Balance to Fromm, I bathed him today in the tub with about 1 cup of ACV and tonight added a teaspoon to his food. I am hoping this works before switching dog foods. Do you all think this is a good idea? Here is a picture of the bottle of ACV Bragg: ACV Bragg.jpg

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Great post Laura, thank you! I purchased this today to combat Ernie's yeast infection. He's 5 yr old and this is the first time I've had to battle this infection. Before I think to switch food from Natural Balance to Fromm, I bathed him today in the tub with about 1 cup of ACV and tonight added a teaspoon to his food. I am hoping this works before switching dog foods. Do you all think this is a good idea? Here is a picture of the bottle of ACV Bragg:View attachment 93400

Hi, I also use ACV for my guys and also for myself. I make a drink every morning with a mug of warm water, I add 2 Tbsps of ACV, 1/2 a squeezed lemon, and a little bit of honey. It's tastes like warm lemonade, it helps to detoxify the liver, and the ACV has all the health benefits of being a natural anti inflammatory, ( 99% of all diseases including arthritis are caused by inflammation in the body), it is a natural anti fungal, and anti bacterial, so kills all the bad bacteria in your body, and also balances the Ph of your blood. I think it is an excellent idea to give to your dog, for all the same health benefits for them. I also like it because it gives you these benefits naturally and with no medications or side effects, and it is also in expensive. My guys also get Plain yogurt every morning for the Probiotics, which is good for the immune system, and for digestion, and they get Coconut Oil for the Omega fatty acids which are good for the skin and coat, the bones and joints and also for the brain. All these things are natural and inexpensive, so can't hurt. If you decide to use any or all of these supplements, just make sure to add one at a time, and for a week before adding the next new one, that way you will know which one they tolerate or don't, and you will know which one caused an allergic reaction.

OP
NewEnglandBully

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Thank you [MENTION=10327]chopkins[/MENTION]…
How cute is ERNIE <--:laugh:still love the name Chopkins though...(that was funny)
Keep me posted on how this works for you!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.