Weighted Vests?

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
So I know you're surprised to see this posted in a bulldog forum, of all places, but hear me out.

My fairly new adopted "English Bulldog" Thor has in my belief, a bit of Boxer in him, as well as some EBD also. His paperwork claims him as a full EBD, but I think the rescue just labels whatever they like.

Back to the point. He's got energy for days. We at least do x2 miles a day, but usually shoot for 4, and he's still got energy when we get back. He can run for hours, and still has energy when we get home. He's also only 18 months, so he's still puppy'ish. A friend suggested a weighted vest the other day, and I'd never heard about it, but I've started looking around, and it's a real thing. It apparently really helps wear the dog out quicker, and most dogs who want to go go go seem to love putting it on.

Does anybody have any experience with something like this? It's either I get one of these vests, or I get the add on carrier packs for the Julius harnesses, and use sand bags or something, which would be cheaper...

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I've never tried one, haven't heard of them…but I have the opposite issue at times lol. Bass won't even budge some mornings if it's still too early for him to get up.
You shoot for four miles? Holy Moly, that is one energetic pup! Curious to find out how well they work!! Good luck.

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
do you have a picture... i bought a bulldog from a pet store( i know).. and she looks like she has either boxer or olde english in her.. i always questioned her but again it don't matter to me.. she has the sweetness trait of a bulldog... but i have offended wondered about her because her body is longer and she isn't as wide chested as my others.. but i love her just the same..
11174769_10205122658565120_3986346492982407161_n.jpg

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
I've never tried one, haven't heard of them…but I have the opposite issue at times lol. Bass won't even budge some mornings if it's still too early for him to get up.
You shoot for four miles? Holy Moly, that is one energetic pup! Curious to find out how well they work!! Good luck.

Yeah, don't I know it, AND he still wants to play when we get home. He needs a lot of energy expelled. He likes to wake up at 4:30am and bark until we start moving.

do you have a picture... i bought a bulldog from a pet store( i know).. and she looks like she has either boxer or olde english in her.. i always questioned her but again it don't matter to me.. she has the sweetness trait of a bulldog... but i have offended wondered about her because her body is longer and she isn't as wide chested as my others.. but i love her just the same..
View attachment 93192

She looks very Olde English. The reason I expect boxer in my dude is because he uses his paws like one. He played with a boxer the other day in the dogpark and they were all "boxerish" together, using their paws to ninja fight. But he also looks like a bulldog sometimes, I can see how they would get confused.

This is more the speed I'm used to, Taco time:

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
he is very handsome.. my porkchop looked like a bulldog as a puppy but as she got older her looks changed.. she is going on 8 and has arthritis in her front leg due to surgery she had when she was a puppy. but she still has the energy when she sees someone in the yard or if we go on walks she is always the one in front.. my rocky and gucci are a different story.. we have to stop a couple times for them.. unless we do one of those dna test we may never know.. it wont change anything but still it would settle a few questions.. huh..love his color too.. porkchop had a litter of pups, 7 of them and all were different colors.. one looked alot like him..

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
he is very handsome.. my porkchop looked like a bulldog as a puppy but as she got older her looks changed.. she is going on 8 and has arthritis in her front leg due to surgery she had when she was a puppy. but she still has the energy when she sees someone in the yard or if we go on walks she is always the one in front.. my rocky and gucci are a different story.. we have to stop a couple times for them.. unless we do one of those dna test we may never know.. it wont change anything but still it would settle a few questions.. huh..love his color too.. porkchop had a litter of pups, 7 of them and all were different colors.. one looked alot like him..

Thanks! There is no slowing him down. The vests are used with German Shepherds and Pitbulls for training, I've read reviews that people with Huskies use them to wear them out. I think it will be a good investment for Thor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I think they sell cooling vests too (with pockets) so when the weather turns hot you won't have to worry too much about the extra weight/over heating. I thought I saw one at one of the pet stores…I'll have to google because I can't remember.

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
I think they sell cooling vests too (with pockets) so when the weather turns hot you won't have to worry too much about the extra weight/over heating. I thought I saw one at one of the pet stores…I'll have to google because I can't remember.

Thanks! The one I found online is pretty good, it can step up to 50 lbs (not that you would ever get there) but the reviewers said the only problem is it's really hot for the dog, so in the winter it's fine, but long workouts in the summer could be hazardous. It came down to almost $120 including shipping, which is a lot of money for a dog vest, but I guess if it wears him out on our walks, it will be well worth it.

7fc72206dcaf0d05216a316a16987728.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
I'm wondering if I should just get the side pouches for my Julius harness and put weights in there. $30 and a couple of weights would be cheaper than $120, plus it could double with the harness I already have.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I hope it works out for you. Sorry that I have no input on the matter…my main concerns while researching before purchasing would be 1. overheating and 2. extra stress on body…Let me know if you want help w/research or reviews.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I was going to suggest a doogie back -pack..... why not do the Julius add on, you have more control with how much you place in it and would not have to be overly concerned with extra heat or too much weight

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
I hope it works out for you. Sorry that I have no input on the matter…my main concerns while researching before purchasing would be 1. overheating and 2. extra stress on body…Let me know if you want help w/research or reviews.

No problem! Thanks for chiming in and offering to help! I think I'll go the Julius route, I'm happy with all their stuff.

I was going to suggest a doogie back -pack..... why not do the Julius add on, you have more control with how much you place in it and would not have to be overly concerned with extra heat or too much weight

I think that is the best idea. I'm just concerned about finding the appropriate weights for the side bags, and I'm wondering if there are some mobility or medical reasons the way the weighted vests are designed? Ie. I don't want to put uneeded pressure on his spine because of the distribution will be funny in pack add on vs. the designed vest. I suppose that the Julius gear was designed to hold weight, so at even 2-5lbs it's probably alright.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No problem! Thanks for chiming in and offering to help! I think I'll go the Julius route, I'm happy with all their stuff.

I think that is the best idea. I'm just concerned about finding the appropriate weights for the side bags, and I'm wondering if there are some mobility or medical reasons the way the weighted vests are designed? Ie. I don't want to put uneeded pressure on his spine because of the distribution will be funny in pack add on vs. the designed vest. I suppose that the Julius gear was designed to hold weight, so at even 2-5lbs it's probably alright.

try water bottles... one on each side at first

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
try water bottles... one on each side at first

That's a good idea,, and was the plan. I just ordered them, so I should have it all here around Thanksgiving. My front door hooks are slowly piling up with leashes, harnesses, dog accessories, and backpacks filled with tennis balls and doo doo bags, you might have two bulldogs if...

I checked out a video on the harnesses:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ172EIPRfA#t=197

They look like they are going to be pretty big. One review I read said they were actually super bulky, which is OK, I'm looking for more space!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That's a good idea,, and was the plan. I just ordered them, so I should have it all here around Thanksgiving. My front door hooks are slowly piling up with leashes, harnesses, dog accessories, and backpacks filled with tennis balls and doo doo bags, you might have two bulldogs if...

I checked out a video on the harnesses:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ172EIPRfA#t=197

They look like they are going to be pretty big. One review I read said they were actually super bulky, which is OK, I'm looking for more space!

I watched the second video after the one you posted... looks like the bags come in different sizes

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.