Weight?

OP
Miss Molly

Miss Molly

Feb 18, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], I cannot see your pictures on that thread you posted. I tried at home and here at work.

Well, last night I gave Molly just one cup of food at night. And towards the end of the night she started dragging her bowl around asking for more. But I think I need to supplement for food with the green beans, yogurt, and eggs like I see others doing before I cut her food down. She doesn't get many treats. But also, 2 cups a day may be enough when we get the Fromm.

OP
Miss Molly

Miss Molly

Feb 18, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Wow, what a difference in Mandy! Unfortunately, I can definitely see now, when I look at her before and after, that my previous boy General was overweight. I didn't mean to let him get that way, when he was younger was was in good shape but as he got older and didn't play as much he packed the pounds on and I should have reduced his food.

But I am going to make sure I don't let Molly get that way. I guess I had to learn, he was my first bullie. But he was very much loved and taken good care of, just a few too many treats ;)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
That weight calculation was interesting ... it means that Daddy would grow to about 71lbs if it is correct! Daddy is 6 months old - soon to be 7 months - and he weighs 41lb. We're feeding him 1 3/4 cups of Fromm twice a day, and I'm thinking I need to start cutting that down soon although he isn't fat at all and has a nice tapered waistline. I was considering bringing it down to 1 1/2 cups a meal at the beginning of March when he will be 7 months. Daddy seems to be very long-legged and long bodied ... we stil wonder if he has some american bulldog in there too??? :confused: We won't really know until he finished filling out which he looks as if he could be starting to do now because his legs and shoulders appear to be getting more muscular.

Maggie is tiny ... she weighs 35-36lb and has stayed around there for a while. She was at the 37-38lb mark and I noticed that her waist wasn't quite as obvious as it should be so we cut her food down to 3/4cup Fromm twice a day and she is looking good.

For all our dogs we try to give them shredded carrot, frozen green beans and frozen blueberries on top of their food with some natural yogurt so that kinda bulks up the bowl a bit too.

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
I think if your dog has any extra weight at all then the calculations are going to be off. When Bella was 4 months old and not at all over weight, I did it and it said that she should be 45 lbs. full grown. She's that weight right now :eek:. Maybe it only works when calculated young?

L

Lucy-licious

Just weighed lucy shes 7months now and weighs in at 19kg/41 pounds for her age thats an ideal weight she's a good size and all muscle but as [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] says uk bulldogs are generally bigger, something I hadnt realised until recently myself :)

[MENTION=1871]Miss Molly[/MENTION] I notice in your sig your soon to be rescuing a bassetthound hope you will share photos i have a big soft spot for bassetts adopted 1 myself in my youth :D

Last edited:

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
Brodie is 4 months now and was 33 lbs two weeks ago. Vet did not say anything about it but did say he was going to be stocky. Not sure if that is a nice way to say BIG. He definately has some big ole paws! I do think it is time to cut his food back. Right now he gets 1 1/2 am and same for dinner. I think I saw someone above say to cut back to two cups a day. Poor thing he is not going to know what hit him! I will say I don't think he looks fat and you can see his waist line. I heard somewhere that if they look like a twinkie they are overweight.

OP
Miss Molly

Miss Molly

Feb 18, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
[MENTION=1505]2bulliefamily[/MENTION] I was also giving 1 1/2 cups, twice a day, and got advice to cut my bullie back to 2 cups daily. I am going to supplement with healthy treats, like green beans, fruits, other veggies, some yogurt, maybe an occasional egg. A lot of people add salmon oil to the food, and that should keep your bullie feeling fuller too. I know that my personal trainer told me that good fats will help me feel fuller, so I assume it's the same for dogs. :)

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
Thanks [MENTION=1871]Miss Molly[/MENTION] for the tips! I keep forgetting about green beans! Did not know that about the salmon oil. I had heard about it from other posters but did not know it would help make them feel fuller! Poor Brodie he is not going to know what to do. That boy knows when it is time for him to eat! Hopefully the beans and treats will help!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.