Weight?

Miss Molly

Feb 18, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Molly was at the vet yesterday, and weighed 33 lbs at 6 months of age. I am wondering, is there anything out there that estimates what thier weight will be at maturity, based on present weight?

I was also looking for "ideal" bulldog weight, but everything I found said she should weigh less than 33 right now.

She's not even eating 3 cups a day of food right now, I don't feed her table scraps, and not too many treats. The treats I give her are natural and grain-free.

I am also a little confused on how much she should be eating. Some say I should feed less than what the bag recommends. But it says puppies should be eating MORE than adults, due to being more active. I know it depends on the quality of the food sometimes too. She's on Blue Buffalo, but I am going to switch to Natural Balance.

Thanks! I feel like this is my first bullie pup, I just don't remember all of this stuff from General being a pup, plus I wasn't experienced with bulldogs then, so maybe now I am a little more worried about everything.

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
I hope this helps...don't know how accurate it is, though. Especially with Bull-dogs. They seem to be different in everything. And my first thought about the food and weight is that she may be on her way to becoming overweight. Just limit treats to green beans, carrots and ice cubes. They are good for your bully and low in calories. It seems to me that bullys are prone to easily becoming overweight, but there is alot of people on here with the experience of succefully getting and maintaining their bullys weight to a healthy size. They too will probobly be better to tell you if Molly's weight is normal at her age. Good luck.

1. Your Puppy's Size, Age, and Weight
  2. 1
    Dogs are categorized as small, medium, and large. Based on your dog's breed, identify its size.
  3. 2
    Calculate your puppy's age in weeks. Below is the general time frame when each size grows the fastest:
    Toy and small: birth to 3 months (12 weeks)
    Medium: birth to 4 months (16 weeks)
    Large: birth to 5 months (20 weeks)
  4. 3
    Weigh your puppy on the scale.
    Calculate Projected Adult Weight
  5. 1
    Below is an equation to give you a general idea of your puppy's adult weight. Remember that males are often larger than females and depending on your puppy's age, he may be past his stage of rapid growth.
    Growth = Current weight / Age in weeks
    Estimated adult weight = Growth x 52
  6. 2
    Example: A toy poodle is 3 pounds at 14 weeks. His projected adult weight is less than 9.75 pounds.
    Growth = 3 lbs / 14 weeks = 0.214 lbs/week
    Estimated adult weight = 0.214 lbs/week x 52 weeks = 9.75 lbs
    The toy poodle has passed his rapid growth stage, so he should grow to less than the estimated adult weight.
  7. 3
    Example: A beagle weighs 10 pounds at 4 months. His projected adult weight is 32.5 pounds.
    Growth = 10 lbs / 16 weeks = 0.625 lbs/week
    Estimated adult weight = 0.625 lbs/week x 52 weeks = 32.5 lbs
    The beagle is at the end of his growth spurt, so the estimated adult weight can be considered fairly accurate.

Read more: How to Calculate Adult Dog Weight During Puppyhood | eHow.com How to Calculate Adult Dog Weight During Puppyhood | eHow.com

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
Sorry, I just realized that in my morning stuper, I thought I read 43 lbs at 6 months :eek:. 33 lbs. sounds alot better :up:. And honestly I am not sure if that is a good weight at 6 months or not. I would judge by feeling your bully. Does she have a nice waist line and can you easily feel her ribs or is there alot of flubber between her skin and ribs?

OP
Miss Molly

Miss Molly

Feb 18, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Thanks for the info. Using those calculations, she would be 71.50 at adult weight. I think she has a little flubber, but I don't feed her table scraps and not even many treats (her previous owners didn't feed her any). They also free fed her, I am measuring her food and she is not even eating the full 3 cups a day. I just want to make sure I keep her weight at a healthy number. :) My last bullie got a little chunky when he got older and less active, but by then he was used to all the treats and it was really difficult to try and keep his weight down.

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
Bella went from "a little flubber" to "oh my flubber" fast. Lol. She's 8 months old and 45lbs. We are feeding her 1 1/4 cup Fromm twice a day and she only gets ice cubes for treats. She gobbles like 3 of them down in 30 seconds. They're her fav.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Feeding her that much was fine..but now she is 6 months old and it's time to back off a little. Once you get her on a good quality food, you should wean her down to 2 cups daily. Or even less. Orion is almost 2 and she weighs 36 pounds. We are actually trying to get the chub to slim down. It really depends on how they look. Bulldogs are cute when they are fat, but the problems start. Breathing and walking are the two big ones. All that extra weight can make it harder for these squishy nosed babies to breathe...and they already have a hard time. And all that weight on those little legs will end up making them struggle. We thought Vegas might have a torn ACL, but since he dropped over 10 pounds..he hasn't favored his leg once.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Princess Gracie is 4 yrs old and 40 pounds but I think she is considered small for a full blooded EB. She gained 2.5#s a few weeks ago and her vet said to take it off. That is how critical weight is with these dogs. Excellent food quality is also important in that they need to utilize the food intake and not have a lot of 'leftovers' in their system. In other words,, the better the food the less they poo ;) Good confirmation should show a waistline behind the ribcage. That is one way to tell if they are overweight.

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
i'm definately not an expert. i have had my boy, Bullet, for a couple months now and when i got him he was 7.5 months old @ 37 lbs. the previous owner had just had him to his check up and the vet said he was good. he looks and feels lean to me. no chubby belly, i can feel his ribs but they don't show other than from the end where they meet his stomach then he curves in a bit. i feed him 1 cup food with a few frozen veggies tossed in in the morning and the same at evening time. a few other times during the day i will give him a frozen veggie or grain free treat.

as far as normal adult weight...i can only guess that bullies vary. i wonder if there can really be a determined weight. :confused:

OP
Miss Molly

Miss Molly

Feb 18, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
OK, so two cups a day of good quality food? That's about how much she is eating right now. She doesn't get treats every day, she doesn't even want them because the previous owners didn't give her any.

I just worry, because I do want to make sure her weight stays at a healthy number for a bullie so she doesn't have any issue due to the extra weight. Thanks!

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Silva is full grown and has weighed about the same for a year or so. She just turned 2 and weighs 57 lbs. She was the runt of her litter and is bigger then most of her littermates that we have met. Our Vet is happy with her weight and since she stays around the same weight I think it is what she should be. We feed her 2 cups of Fromm grain free food and yogurt and pumpkin for snacks along with whatever my children give her! :lol:

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
lex is a yr old and weighs 63 lbs not over weight at all and has those sexy curves :luv:... he eats 2 cups once a day along w veggie treats

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
As everyone already stated above, it really varies by the bulldog.

In the US- the BCA standard weight of female bulldog is 45lbs, and 55lbs on males. In the UK, it is 10lbs heavier on both- but they are much more big boned and broad in the UK than in the USA.

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
Chester is a boy obviously..and he has weighed between 53 and 55 lbs for quite a while now - he is just over 14 months old. But, he's not "fat".. he has an nice waistline and big, broad shoulders. I think different dogs carry the weight differently. So a lot would depend on her build..etc.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online