Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Weight?

As everyone already stated above, it really varies by the bulldog.

In the US- the BCA standard weight of female bulldog is 45lbs, and 55lbs on males. In the UK, it is 10lbs heavier on both- but they are much more big boned and broad in the UK than in the USA.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Here is pics of Mandy, who was very overweight- so you can see the difference in what she looked like before (fat) to now (athletic)
    \
    http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...-months-2.html

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chester
    Likes (Received)

Chester is a boy obviously..and he has weighed between 53 and 55 lbs for quite a while now - he is just over 14 months old. But, he's not "fat".. he has an nice waistline and big, broad shoulders. I think different dogs carry the weight differently. So a lot would depend on her build..etc.
    It's a Bully thing <3

When the bully was created, it licked the hand of God and God stroked its head, saying, "What do you want, baby bully?" It replied, "My Lord, I want to stay with you, in heaven, on a mat in front of the gate."

Real Name
    Shelly
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Molly
    Likes (Received)

@desertskybulldogs, I cannot see your pictures on that thread you posted. I tried at home and here at work.

Well, last night I gave Molly just one cup of food at night. And towards the end of the night she started dragging her bowl around asking for more. But I think I need to supplement for food with the green beans, yogurt, and eggs like I see others doing before I cut her food down. She doesn't get many treats. But also, 2 cups a day may be enough when we get the Fromm.
    Shelly, owned by:
    Molly (English Bulldog), and Stretch (rescue Basset Hound/honorary bulldog)

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Oooops it is on page one of the thread. I sent you to page two!

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...-3-months.html

Real Name
    Shelly
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Molly
    Likes (Received)

Thanks!
    Shelly, owned by:

Real Name
    Shelly
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Molly
    Likes (Received)

Wow, what a difference in Mandy! Unfortunately, I can definitely see now, when I look at her before and after, that my previous boy General was overweight. I didn't mean to let him get that way, when he was younger was was in good shape but as he got older and didn't play as much he packed the pounds on and I should have reduced his food.

But I am going to make sure I don't let Molly get that way. I guess I had to learn, he was my first bullie. But he was very much loved and taken good care of, just a few too many treats
    Shelly, owned by:

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

That weight calculation was interesting ... it means that Daddy would grow to about 71lbs if it is correct! Daddy is 6 months old - soon to be 7 months - and he weighs 41lb. We're feeding him 1 3/4 cups of Fromm twice a day, and I'm thinking I need to start cutting that down soon although he isn't fat at all and has a nice tapered waistline. I was considering bringing it down to 1 1/2 cups a meal at the beginning of March when he will be 7 months. Daddy seems to be very long-legged and long bodied ... we stil wonder if he has some american bulldog in there too??? We won't really know until he finished filling out which he looks as if he could be starting to do now because his legs and shoulders appear to be getting more muscular.

Maggie is tiny ... she weighs 35-36lb and has stayed around there for a while. She was at the 37-38lb mark and I noticed that her waist wasn't quite as obvious as it should be so we cut her food down to 3/4cup Fromm twice a day and she is looking good.

For all our dogs we try to give them shredded carrot, frozen green beans and frozen blueberries on top of their food with some natural yogurt so that kinda bulks up the bowl a bit too.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella Cow
    Likes (Received)

I think if your dog has any extra weight at all then the calculations are going to be off. When Bella was 4 months old and not at all over weight, I did it and it said that she should be 45 lbs. full grown. She's that weight right now . Maybe it only works when calculated young?

Lucy-licious

Just weighed lucy shes 7months now and weighs in at 19kg/41 pounds for her age thats an ideal weight she's a good size and all muscle but as @desertskybulldogs says uk bulldogs are generally bigger, something I hadnt realised until recently myself

@Miss Molly I notice in your sig your soon to be rescuing a bassetthound hope you will share photos i have a big soft spot for bassetts adopted 1 myself in my youth
    Last edited by Lucy-licious; 02-23-2011 at 02:26 PM.

Real Name
    Shelly
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Molly
    Likes (Received)

@Lucylambchop Yes, I am getting Stretch on 3/5. There is a pic of him in this thread:

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...-hello-ia.html

He is a sweetie, he was found as a stray and they think he is about 8 years old, but could be younger since it appeared he lived outside his whole life.
    Shelly, owned by:

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Brodie
    Likes (Received)

Brodie is 4 months now and was 33 lbs two weeks ago. Vet did not say anything about it but did say he was going to be stocky. Not sure if that is a nice way to say BIG. He definately has some big ole paws! I do think it is time to cut his food back. Right now he gets 1 1/2 am and same for dinner. I think I saw someone above say to cut back to two cups a day. Poor thing he is not going to know what hit him! I will say I don't think he looks fat and you can see his waist line. I heard somewhere that if they look like a twinkie they are overweight.
    I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. ~Gilda Radner

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads