Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Few questions

Default Few questions

Hi to all the English Bulldogs and the Master's they own!

Can anyone help me, I have a 15week old English Bulldog that doesn't exactly like going for a walk. I tried treats but he doesn't get the leash thing.

15 weeks and will do his business where I bring him but can't or won't hold his pee overnight. I took them out at 10pm last night and at 6:30am bed pretty wet.

(Doc says he only needs a certain amount of water ( I forget how much she said at this time). Pup's wt is 25.5lbs. I stop water by 6pm but he looks for it and then just stares at me in misbelief! What am I doing wrong? He thinks he needs so much water but Doc says he doesn't.)

Frustrated...

Karina

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chester
    Likes (Received)

Chester - he's just over 5 months old.. STILL will not walk without alot.. alot of encouragement I've practically given up that he is not a "walker" .. though the little stinker will walk right beside you the whole way WITHOUT his leash :p Even through puppy training.. he puts the brakes on and won't budge. I've tried neck collar, harness.. doesn't matter.. my bully is bullheaded

As for holding his bladder.. Chester does good, and has for well over a month.. we don't limit him at all on water - but as soon as I open his crate door he bee-lines for the door to go outside

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chip
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Is he crate trained? This always helps us in training. They will hold it because they certainly don't want to soil their own beds.

Also, have them in a room where you are ---so if they do it you will be there to see. If they go unnoticed, then you cannot catch them in the act. Telling them "no" 10 minutes later still teaches them, but not nearly as well. Catching them in the act and reinforcing "no" each time, then taking them straight outside.... it is a lot of work, but they will definately get it. And quite fast! If you are not going to be in the room with them at the time, then you can put them in their "bed" aka crate....(I prefer to call it a bed ). Little puppies are like crawling children, you must keep one eye on them and one eye on your chores, every second. Once you get them house trained, it is so rewarding that you can relax knowing they won't soil on your beautiful carpet...
    aka "Bullpapa DeLano" on facebook

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

We did the clicker training. First we were told that you take them out every hour or so. As they get older, you reduce it to 1)every time they wake up 2)every time they drink water 3)after eating and of course 4)before bed and whenever the need may arise. Clicker training worked so well with us. As soon as they are done peeing (you should wait until they are done, if you click during, they will stop peeing to get the reward) So, once they are done, click the clicker and say "yes" with a high pitched excited voice. Make sure to have the reward waiting. Vegas is almost 3 and after doing his outside business, he comes in and sits and waits for his booty wipe (if need be) and his treat. Without fail. Also, don't forget to ignore the bad and reward the good. If puppy knows punishment is coming for peeing or pooing in the house, it will only make them hide what they are doing. Hope some of this helps.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Please tell me more about this clicker! I have never heard of it! Thanks Libra!

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

They sell the clickers at Petco/Petsmart. It fits in the palm of your hand and your thumb pushing on a tab creates a "click". They use it to "mark" a good behavior. Using the clicker, I was able to train Vegas to put his nose in a corner within 5 minutes. It is such a good training tool, but using words like "yes" or "good" with increased tone works just as well. You have to be precise when you are marking the appropriate behavior. If the click comes too soon or too late, the pups have a difficult time understanding what behavior is being rewarded.

http://www.petco.com/Shop/SearchResu...=0&Ntt=clicker

He was crate trained but now he's peeing in the crate. It's a medium crate so he's just standing in his pee. I take him out in the night 10:30pm but at 7am he isn't holding his pee. I'm frustrated as I think this is him being lazy. I read up on the clicker and went to petsmart last year to check it out. Many clickers and each one clicked differently. What if the pup doesn't like the sound of the clicker? Then you go to the store and buy another one? It would be my luck to get a fuzzy pup that has a certain clicker disorder going on. For now I am dealing with him being a wateroholic. Not real worried about the leash deal. I use treats and practice with him 2-3 times per day. Thanks so much for all your thoughts!!

Real Name
    Lisa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chester
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by karina View Post
    He was crate trained but now he's peeing in the crate. It's a medium crate so he's just standing in his pee. I take him out in the night 10:30pm but at 7am he isn't holding his pee. I'm frustrated as I think this is him being lazy. I read up on the clicker and went to petsmart last year to check it out. Many clickers and each one clicked differently. What if the pup doesn't like the sound of the clicker? Then you go to the store and buy another one? It would be my luck to get a fuzzy pup that has a certain clicker disorder going on. For now I am dealing with him being a wateroholic. Not real worried about the leash deal. I use treats and practice with him 2-3 times per day. Thanks so much for all your thoughts!!
    I wonder if he has a bladder infection??

I don't think that is the problem. There would be signs indicating. Frankly, I know what it is and it's the amount of water he thinks he needs each day. I've only had him now for 2 weeks so I'm trying to give him only what he and his weight is supposed to have. I think the vet said 3 1/2 cups is what he requires but he thinks he needs more she said. I brought him out at midnight last night and well I woke to a dry crate. Go figure. I think I am the problem and I have to learn how to dictate the amount of water and stop at a certain point in his day. Thank you for your thoughts!

Real Name
    Lisa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chester
    Likes (Received)

hmmm.. I never heard you had to limit water.. food yes.. water no. I just leave a bowl out for Chester and he goes to it when he wants. He LOVES ice cubes.. I do the crushed ice thing from the freezer and he eats that..maybe that would be a better way to limit water but keep his mouth wet?? In any event.. hope he is dry again in the morning for you!

Oh I like the crushed ice idea thanks! It's hot today here so no way am I limiting his water but I did take them out very late last night yet Dexter was wet this morning. I said 2 stern No's and only hope it sunk in what I meant.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chip
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Karina do you put a blanket or bed in his crate?

2 out of 5 of my bullies will pee in their crate if the have a bedding, towel or something. They do not go pee in there if I leave it with no bedding. So I don't

Truthfully, they prefer sleeping on a hard surface because it stays cooler for them, especially in the summer.
    aka "Bullpapa DeLano" on facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads