I wish I wasn't logging in this way, send Bentley prayers please!

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Hi guys! I was just thinking of you all the other day driving, super busy. Then this happened......

Backstory, Bentley has his neuter surgery and everything went great. They did notice that his tonsils were a little swollen and they blamed it on his allergies we are trying to narrow down. He has not been allergy tested. His doctor wanted to wait to see if we could just process it down to food or environment. I trust his judgement. Anyway, we had our two week check up to see if his tonsils were healing and they were not. (He's in good health and normal personality otherwise) Well, on our at home instructions I missed the line about how I needed to give him Zyrtec everyday. So here's the bad part.

The tech who checked us out after the Dr. visited us made me feel pretty little. Like I was an idiot or something for not giving him the allergy meds the last two weeks. I read everything and for some reason forgot that step. I even said that. Her answers were really short and she just kept saying, "give him Zyrtec, he's not going to get rid of his allergy symptoms without the Zyrtec"..... Feeling frustrated I went into Walgreens very fast on our way home, I know I was thinking, let's get you home, get your antibiotics, give you your medicine and follow with your nightly cleaning routines. Feeling like if I did that I would have done everything my dog needed. I even asked the pharmacy tech, "Is this Zyrtec?" got my answer and out the door.

I bought the wrong one. I gave Bentley the Zyrtec with the extra ingredients that are dangerous to dogs. :(:(:( I noticed that he was not getting comfortable around 9 P.M. By 11 we rushed to the ER. Good thing maybe was that he was only spaced out. But I called the animal poison control phone number. I brought him in. I hope we caught it in time. He was given active charcoal and fluids to get it out of his system. His vitals were stable throughout the time I was there and over night. The only time his heart raced was when the medicine they were treating him wore off. They said it wasn't a scary moment. It's 1:00 P.M here now. They told me that they would call again around 4, or 5 for another update. If he's heart doesn't race he can come home, if it does they want to monitor him another night.

Please wish him well. He is my life, my fur child. I made a mistake. We take a walk every night, play on and off all day, He's spoiled. I ask questions, read about the breed, and give him only the very best. I don't want to loose him this way. I'm a mess. I told you guys about the vet tech part because I think that was important. I called his regular vet and told him everything that was going on. I didn't raise my voice. I told them that they didn't need to apologize, and that I wasn't blaming them. But If I didn't communicate with them I wouldn't feel finished. I just had to wonder if the vet tech would have just slowed down on her big Zyrtec speech maybe I wouldn't have bought the first darn box off the shelf.

It was a mistake, I know, but still? Right? Talk about that part if you like. But, I just want Bentley home and better. :(

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Oh, so sorry Krista! Everybody makes mistakes, just put it behind you. When I brought my last little rescue Gus home, I thought I had read all the papers carefully. A few days later, I looked at them again and read that he had just been neutered and he was supposed to rest quietly in his crate and be walked on a leash to potty for a week. We'd been letting him jump all over the place and throwing toys for him to chase. I felt terrible.

I think the vet tech should definitely have written down the type of Zyrtec to give Bentley and told you specifically. She could have done that in the time it took her to fuss at you for not giving it to him in the first place. I'm sure Bentley will be fine with his treatment. I'll send lots of positive vibes his way and yours and hope he gets to come home tonight. Please keep us updated!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Oh Krista, I am so sorry to hear about this. Do not blame yourself, you did what you thought was best for him. I know he will pull through, he is a strong boy. I will be saying prayers for sweet Bentley, please keep us posted on him! I can't tell you the number of times I tried something I thought was good, and had an adverse reaction with Tyson. It happens. Prayers, and hugs!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Don't blame yourself, when were upset and worried we all do things wrongs to be honest I thought there was only one type of Zyrtec so I would have been wrong too.
Sending many prayers your way for Bently to get better and you to forgive yourself.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=14519]KristaB026[/MENTION] no blame!!! it is so hard to focus when our babies are sick, it happens to all of us. Give him hugs form us, we are sending lots and lots of prayers to you and your baby Bentley.

Please keep us posted.

:hug:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm so sorry this happened and I would just forget about buying the wrong box, bottom line is he is at the best place he could be right now other then home and I'm sure everything will work out for the best. These vet techs play high and mighty so much of the time and it's frustrating I know. My prayers and thoughts are with you and the Bent boy.

OP
KristaB026

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Bentley's coming home! Oh my goodness! I just got off the phone with the E.R. Doctor. She said he hasn't had any medicine since we last talked this morning. They also said that he has been acting like a normal dog, active and barking. The barking makes me giggle, because he is not very vocal. He must miss me. :drawheart: I'll be nervous having him home. So we will see what discharge papers say!

OP
KristaB026

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
I'm so sorry this happened and I would just forget about buying the wrong box, bottom line is he is at the best place he could be right now other then home and I'm sure everything will work out for the best. These vet techs play high and mighty so much of the time and it's frustrating I know. My prayers and thoughts are with you and the Bent boy.

Thank you Phil. I didn't want to sound like I was blaming someone for doing there job. I just felt like she was saying, "Wait, we told you to have him on Zyrtec, how could you not have him in the medicine....." I wanted to say right there look, "I give Bentley everything I know is right and can. I wouldn't have just ignored your first directions." I know it's not the same but I've worked customer service jobs before, some people only argue to argue during services. I didn't want to look like that, so I left all in a hurry. I'm just so thankful he is going to be ok.

OP
KristaB026

KristaB026

Jul 13, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=4573]Ftse 100[/MENTION] [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=13140]Donnam[/MENTION] I think I tagged everyone. He's coming home. Thank goodness. I can relax.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you Phil. I didn't want to sound like I was blaming someone for doing there job. I just felt like she was saying, "Wait, we told you to have him on Zyrtec, how could you not have him in the medicine....." I wanted to say right there look, "I give Bentley everything I know is right and can. I wouldn't have just ignored your first directions." I know it's not the same but I've worked customer service jobs before, some people only argue to argue during services. I didn't want to look like that, so I left all in a hurry. I'm just so thankful he is going to be ok.

I know what you mean. His butt will wiggle right off when he sees you!! lol

you're a good mom.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thank goodness! Please be sure to over spoil :) and give him lots of hugs and kisses from me!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Aww sweetie. I'm so sorry you are going through this. You are a loving mother who made a mistake. I'm praying for Bentley, and I'm praying for you. I feel very confident that sweet Bentley will be just fine.

I love you!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Bentley's coming home! Oh my goodness! I just got off the phone with the E.R. Doctor. She said he hasn't had any medicine since we last talked this morning. They also said that he has been acting like a normal dog, active and barking. The barking makes me giggle, because he is not very vocal. He must miss me. :drawheart: I'll be nervous having him home. So we will see what discharge papers say!
I am just reading this now. I am so happy Bentley is coming home. Accidents happen, and thank goodness, this was a minor one. Balming yourself is useless. Use this as a learning tool. First off, never let anyone rush or intimidate you. When you go to pick up your baby, take your time, listen to everything the doctor says and take notes right on the discharge papers, in your own words and handwritting so you will easily understand them. When we are panicked about our babies not being well, it is really hard to pay attention to everything they are saying. please update later to see how Bentley does at home.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I wish you and Bentley well and send loving prayers. No one deserves to be rude or belittle anyone ever, and if you ever have any questions or need support know we will be there to help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.