anxiety ...maybe ?

Sep 20, 2012
Los Angeles, California, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BUDDHA JANAVARA (AWAKEN THE BEAST)
hello so Im not sure why but buddha growls when my sister pets him or gives him attention. i know its not signs of aggression his tail wiggles and there is no indication that hes angry. Im thinking its anxiety. my sister is allergic to dogs so she wont pet him as often and when she does its just quick taps on the head or real fast kisses. but it never fails buddha just growls the whole time. how do i help him relax ?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He may sense her anxiety (if she has any) and that will make him nervous..... does she let Buddha come to her or does she do a quick movement to get he pet/kiss in?

Chubby

Feb 20, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubby
hello so Im not sure why but buddha growls when my sister pets him or gives him attention. i know its not signs of aggression his tail wiggles and there is no indication that hes angry. Im thinking its anxiety. my sister is allergic to dogs so she wont pet him as often and when she does its just quick taps on the head or real fast kisses. but it never fails buddha just growls the whole time. how do i help him relax ?
Chubby growls when he wants to play...seems aggressive if you don't know him but it's how he plays...FYI[emoji844]

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I don't think it's aggression either. It could be a mix of competition/jealousy and playfulness..It reminds me of the way Bass acts toward my 7 year old…it's a sibling rivalry situation w/the two of them and he only acts that way w/her, not my twins or my teenager. He has a different relationship w/each of us and he competes for my attention at times. Maybe he's putting her in her place?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I agree, My two growl or "talk" when they are playing also. You can usually tell the difference. I think I would have her try to throw a toy or something and play with him.

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
My guys both growl when they want my attention. Then one of them "huffs" then the "huffs" turn into a symphony of barking between the two, which is pretty hard to ignore.

OP
Brenda Janeth Solano
Sep 20, 2012
Los Angeles, California, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BUDDHA JANAVARA (AWAKEN THE BEAST)
she lets him come to her and she will pet him as long as she can. until she starts getting her allergies and then she walks away. and buddha is the type of dog who enjoys being cuddled which she has never done i always just assumed hes telling her "stop tapping my head and hug me" lol

He may sense her anxiety (if she has any) and that will make him nervous..... does she let Buddha come to her or does she do a quick movement to get he pet/kiss in?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
she lets him come to her and she will pet him as long as she can. until she starts getting her allergies and then she walks away. and buddha is the type of dog who enjoys being cuddled which she has never done i always just assumed hes telling her "stop tapping my head and hug me" lol

lol.... if she is 'tapping'/ petting his head, most dogs do not like that.... tell her to try petting the side of his face or scratching the 'butt'.... see if it helps

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Both of my EBD's don't like their head petted, and it bugs me! They don't growl or anything,but turn their butt for it to be scratched!

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
When my daughters friend first started coming over she wouldn't pet the dogs because she's allergic. The first time she came over and I had a shirt on Henry she got so excited because she could pet him without actually touching him. After that she would ask if I would put clothes on him so she could pet him. We then figured out that she's not allergic to all dogs. She's fine at our house. Fuzzier breeds send her in a asthma attack. Maybe that would work for you too.

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
Both of my EBD's don't like their head petted, and it bugs me! They don't growl or anything,but turn their butt for it to be scratched!

I thought this was all bulldogs. I always rub dogs ears, it's the quickest way to make dog friends, and my bulldogs love the extra attention to one of the many spots they wish they could reach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online