Looking to buy, but doing my homework first!

Dissident

Feb 21, 2011
Hey all,

I have been considering buying a EBdog for over a year now. I have been researching off and on during this time, and have finally decided that I am financially sound enough to afford to care for one.

I am in no rush and am probably looking at the actual purchase to be around September of this year, give or take a couple of months.

I am in the Central Florida area and would def prefer to find a reputable breeder fairly close to my location. So my first question would be if anyone had any suggestions.

I have read a lot about breathing, skin, and eye problems, and was hoping for some advice on what to look for and how to do my best to avoid buying a dog with these problems?

I also was curious about their looks. I am def partial to the very full bodied stocky ones with the full face/head. Not sure if that makes since so I'll find a photo and add it shortly.

My final question for now would be male or female and why?

Thank you all in advance and I look forward to reading your responses.

Last edited:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Another Floridian here. Welcome to the site, you found the perfect place. I personally do not know of a breeder to recommend to you. I am sure there are some. My focus lately is on the rescues. What ever though, you found the right site to get all bully questions answered.

OP
D

Dissident

Feb 21, 2011
princess Gracie is a perfect example of the look I love.
DSC_0020.jpg

OP
D

Dissident

Feb 21, 2011
:).

There are quite a few breeders in Florida so trying to pick one over the other is a daunting task. Hopefully someone can help with a referral or things to look for when trying to choose one over the other.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes Princess Gracie has big shoes to fill. But that just may be because she is so spoiled by her mommie and daddie!!! :heart::heart::heart:

Make sure you read our puppy buying tips here on the site. It has a list of questions you can ask a breeder, and what to look for- and most importantly what to watch out for!

I am all the way in Tucson AZ so I cannot help too much. But there is going to be an IMMENSE amount of Backyard breeders and even worse- importers-brokers- in Florida. Perhaps you can look at the breeder referral from the BCA. Officers, Divisions and Member Clubs of The BCA

You will probably pay more for your puppy, and it will be more show quality than others if that is what you are seeking.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your journey to your future fur-mate!!!!! And we will want LOADS of pictures!!!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Not much help here either being in California. You are so smart to do your research now and plan for your pup! I agree if you want to make sure you have a good breeder go thru the bca website. Yes princess Gracie is a beautiful bully by far! More spoiled than any pup I know! :D Good luck on your search and I hope you stay here, posting and learning all you can in the meantime.

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
welcome, i too searched for months (just under a year) for my first bully. my Bullet found me and i'm thankful every day! i hope you gain more insight on the right breeders local to you. in the short time i've been here i have gained so much more information on this breed then i could have by just searching online. glad you are here! :D

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Now you all know that Princess Gracie is NOT spoiled..... she is Entitled!!... LOL Thank you all for the compliments. I'll pass them on to her once she quits snoring at my feet. lol
[MENTION=1883]Dissident[/MENTION]..... You are going about it the right way. There are so many EBs in rescues because they were a spur of the moment purchase. You already know they are neither cheap to buy nor cheap to maintain. One thing you can do is look for a retired breeder if you are not set on a puppy. That is what Gracie is, a retired breeder. If it is a reputable breeder they will use a pretty good quality dog for a breeder. We saved a lot of money that way. They need a forever home too. We did not want a puppy. We love her to death and she has totally taken over our lives since she came here to rule in August last year. ;)

Mike Blaylock

Dec 27, 2010
Forest Park, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
SgtMjr. Duketavius (Duke) Bruiser USMC Ret.
Here's an article I wrote for our club in Cincinnati, Ohio. ALWAYS BUY FROM AN AKC KENNEL BREEDER!!!! You can browse the internet and find several in Florida...................
English Bulldog Care & Characteristics
Almost seven years ago I became the proud owner of an English Bulldog. I love that dog more than most people I meet. Anyway, living with Duke has been an on-going learning affair. I never had anyone so depending on me. He has taught me patience and endurance. I think I’ve taught him the same. I’m not a vet or anybody of importance (except to Duke), This is my knowledge I share with you............
So, to get on with the subject of this article, English Bulldogs give all their love and affection to family members. They will protect their family with all their power and tenacity. This is a territorial thing. When out in public, taking walks that territory disappears and they are happy to meet everyone and every dog. This becomes a problem because they know no enemies. Some dogs aren’t always friendly. So, If another dog starts aggression, an English Bulldog will end the problem. My dog took on three beagles, he was holding one down with his paw, chewing on him, a second one he kept biting when he got close, and the third one went a running after Duke gnawed on his tail. It took all my effort and the neighbor’s effort to
break that fight up. Needless to say the beagle’s keep their distance from Duke.
Like most puppies, English Bulldogs love to chew. So, your furniture will take the toll.The problem is it usually takes about a year and a half for them to grow out of this phase. So buy them lots of hard rubber toys, or extremely soft rubber toys. Anything in between they will destroy in seconds. Also Bulldogs crave attention and contact with people. They will suffer depression when left alone for long periods of time.
So if your single and working away from home, English Bulldogs are not for you. However, if someone is always at home, and want a truly loyal companion…….
They will give you 110% of devoted love back to you. They are extremely intelligent when it comes to getting what they want. Tenacious (stubborn) when they don’t get it their way. So you have got to be a pack leader all the time to give these dogs what they want. (They want attention with authority from you) You have to assume the Alpha pack leader role.
These dogs need a running space for exercise. They love big balls. Like a basketball or bigger to chase all over the yard. They love playing soccer.
So what are some other peculiar traits? Well, English Bulldogs have a lot of medical issues starting from the day they are born. You see most female English Bulldogs must give birth by a C-section because their canals are to small. That is why the cost of an English Bulldog puppy, which is AKC registered, is so high. They often cost between $1000.00 USD to $3000.00 USD if they are AKC registered.. So you really need to know what to ask about when purchasing an English Bulldog. The character features that makes English Bulldogs short and stout, is dwarfism. So ask the following questions:
Did his parents have breathing or choking problems? A lot of English Bulldogs have narrow sinuses and throats. This can be corrected with surgery. But can be avoided if first asked. Did his parents have eye socket problems? They sometimes have problems, whichagain surgery can repair. Also again it can be avoided if asked.
Did his parents have hip and bone joint problems? This is a serious problem with English Bulldogs. Those that develop it can be fixed but the condition will come back. Only exercise and therapy can slow down the degeneration. Again avoided if asked. The number one problem 98% of English Bulldogs have is allergies. This will cause skin rash problems in the ears, eyes, chest and behind, along with hair loss. Changing dog food, to a non-allergenic mixture will help along with using stainless steel food and water dishes. Yes, English Bulldogs have been known to be allergic to plastic. Most hair loss will be during winter months and is caused by the lack of vitamin D. Melatonin will help but be advised that it will make your bulldog drowsy and docile. So I recommend a vitamin D shot or vitamin D tablets. I also give Duke a monthly bath of non-allergenic oatmeal liquid soap. The wrinkles in the face and ears need cleaned often due to allergies. The more wrinkles and tilted nose, the better the judges will like them. But the more maintenance you will have. So the more you monitor their diet to adjust to their allergies, The less cleaning of wrinkles and ears you’ll have to do.
Okay one more thing to look at when buying an English Bulldog………..
First check out his tail. A cork screw tail, although prized for in AKC competition, you need to avoid. But if you have your heart set on a cork screw
tail be advised that cork screw tails sometimes cover up their poop shoot. So, unless you wipe the dogs butt after every yard muffin making session, he will get impacted anal glands. This is extremely painful to the dog. My dog Duke has a cork screw tail. So yeah, I wipe his behind after every completed mission.
(That’s REAL love folks)
English Bulldogs are expensive to purchase and can be to maintain their health. But cost can be kept low by choosing wisely and maintaining their diet needs.Knowing this, choose wisely before adopting. I recommend you buy only from an AKC kennel in the USA. Still wanting one? Can’t afford the price? Keep in mind A lot of English Bulldogs end up at the ASPCA free to loving homes because the original owners didn’t know what they where getting into. So if you still want one but can’t afford the price, keep checking out English Bulldog rescue adoption agencies on the internet, and your local SPCA. But make sure it is AKC registered.
That’s about it for now.
Have a great day!
Mike Blaylock

OP
D

Dissident

Feb 21, 2011
I am all the way in Tucson AZ so I cannot help too much. But there is going to be an IMMENSE amount of Backyard breeders and even worse- importers-brokers- in Florida. Perhaps you can look at the breeder referral from the BCA. Officers, Divisions and Member Clubs of The BCA

You will probably pay more for your puppy, and it will be more show quality than others if that is what you are seeking.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your journey to your future fur-mate!!!!! And we will want LOADS of pictures!!!

That link helped a lot. Listed several breeders with one in particular that is in the hall of fame. Showtime over in Davie, Florida, which is only a few hours away. Not sure if anyone has experience with them?

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
first welcome to the site, you found the BEST place on the world wide web for info about bullies....RESEARCH, RESEARCH and RESEARCH different breeders, go to see the grounds, see where they keep the dogs, what kind of condition the dogs are in, see the parents, grandparents if possible. Commend you for waiting and not jumping and splurging and being financially sound before buying as people say and it is true that the price of the dog is the cheapest thing about owning one. We researched for about a year before we finally decided on Guinness and are SOOOOO happy we waited and did our due diligence. and I agree HRH is extremely cute :) , Good luck with everything and do not be afraid to ask your questions on here. I asked many and everytime I did I was greeted with warm remarks and honest and intelligent comments

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
:).

There are quite a few breeders in Florida so trying to pick one over the other is a daunting task. Hopefully someone can help with a referral or things to look for when trying to choose one over the other.

I could tell you who NOT to go to. Just be careful and research the breeder. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] it correct, a lot of backyard breeders and imports here.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Welcome to EBN and glad to hear you are doing your research! Thats VERY VERY important! I wouldn't blame you for singling out Princess Gracie, she is the perfect bully standard if you ask me!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hello and welcome ... being in Ohio I am also not going to be of too much help finding a good breeder in Florida. However, it looks as if you've found a couple of links to some good ones on the bulldog website. I would say that when you are ready that you go and visit the breeder, see Mum and Dad if possible. See where your new fur-baby will be brought up and under what conditions ....

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online