Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Do you guys think it would help to put a cold pak on the knee for a bit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I'm not sure if this could be a benefit for your bullys condition but our Abbott has knee issues and he has been getting Adequan injections for a few months and cold laser therapy and he has improved 100% it's crazy how good it's worked.

Hey Christine - Question, is there a difference in cold vs warm? Don't mean to sound dumb here. We're dealing with some bad arthritis in Ty's back left leg. He's been on Adequan for the past couple of months or so, and we saw alot of improvement in those times.... but it seems that now, even though we've injected him twice in a week - he's still limping. So the vet suggested we add laser. She did say cold, but she mentioned its like a warm massage? We are definitely going to start it probably in a week... just curious in your personal experience - did you start both together or start one first then add the other. I noticed you said you saw 100% improvement, so I'm trying to be optimistic :) He's limping on the leg with the arthritis and it breaks my heart to see.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes.... 20 mins

Thanks. Last night I held him with his back on my chest and put an ice pack on the leg for a bit. I am going to continue to do it a bit. It's funny but I was just backtracking in my mind and I am baffled that it's only been four days since this happened. I keep worrying that it's not getting better but I know I have to be a bit patient. Today when I get home I am going to alternate with an ice pack and then a warm towel to help him. Matter of fact I need to go to the pharmacy and grab an ice bag.

I was reading snippets online last night and one of the sites said that with a grade 3 or grade 4 there isn't a 100% guarantee that you won't get slippage again after the surgery down the line.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Hey Christine - Question, is there a difference in cold vs warm? Don't mean to sound dumb here. We're dealing with some bad arthritis in Ty's back left leg. He's been on Adequan for the past couple of months or so, and we saw alot of improvement in those times.... but it seems that now, even though we've injected him twice in a week - he's still limping. So the vet suggested we add laser. She did say cold, but she mentioned its like a warm massage? We are definitely going to start it probably in a week... just curious in your personal experience - did you start both together or start one first then add the other. I noticed you said you saw 100% improvement, so I'm trying to be optimistic :) He's limping on the leg with the arthritis and it breaks my heart to see.
Yes we do the shots and laser together.We also started at twice a week then once a week then every other week and we are about to start once a month because he has done so well with this.And if I'm not mistaken cold just means it's cold to the touch but warm when it's actually working in the knee.He'll be 3 in February and he plays like crazy now verses limping around.We' very been so much we get a discount now.lol.Hope this helps your bully!!!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yes we do the shots and laser together.We also started at twice a week then once a week then every other week and we are about to start once a month because he has done so well with this.And if I'm not mistaken cold just means it's cold to the touch but warm when it's actually working in the knee.He'll be 3 in February and he plays like crazy now verses limping around.We' very been so much we get a discount now.lol.Hope this helps your bully!!!

Thanks Christine! I hope so too! Did you get to be with him during the treatments? Did he like them?

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Thanks Christine! I hope so too! Did you get to be with him during the treatments? Did he like them?
My husband takes him back to the room and helps the vet tech with the treatments because Abbott weighs 75 lbs and at first he'd roll around and wiggle half out of his harness because he had to wear tinted glasses and he didn't like that but now he's pretty calm about it.I actually was giving him his shots at home when it was twice a week and he did fine.With all bullies they will adjusts [emoji172] [emoji3] [emoji190]

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Here's the newest in this ongoing saga with Ty's leg: last night we started seeing some swelling in the hock on that back leg. So off to the vet we went this morning. The vet doesn't feel anything wonky with that hock and when it's manipulated it doesn't bother him at all. He thinks it could be one of two things. The first being that it's fluid collection from the stuff going on with his knee and the second is a possibility of Lymphadenopathy. He said he thinks that Ty's breeding lines are not very good ones and that is why so much is starting to go on now. We are still trying to give it a few more days to try and get the swelling down in the knee area and go from there. I have to drop off a urine sample Monday morning so they can rule out the Lymphadenopathy. For now he wrapped the leg a bit so that the compression can give him some support. The Rimadyl and Tremadol will go on until Monday and then he may swap him out to a steroid to help with the inflammation. I am resigned to the fact that he will need he ortho surgery and will move heaven and earth to take care of that for him. Just kind of scared to hear if maybe he has something else going on as well and that is why we are seeing so much inflammation. I just keep getting these thoughts that they are going to tell me he has some sort of cancer or something on top of everything else. My poor Ty. :pray2:

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I hope that Tyson feels better soon! I wish I had advice but I haven't been in a similar type of situation before. I will send positive thoughts and prayers your way! On the plus side though I will offer that having to carry Murray from time to time has really developed my upper body strength so there is something to be said for that!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Here's the newest in this ongoing saga with Ty's leg: last night we started seeing some swelling in the hock on that back leg. So off to the vet we went this morning. The vet doesn't feel anything wonky with that hock and when it's manipulated it doesn't bother him at all. He thinks it could be one of two things. The first being that it's fluid collection from the stuff going on with his knee and the second is a possibility of Lymphadenopathy. He said he thinks that Ty's breeding lines are not very good ones and that is why so much is starting to go on now. We are still trying to give it a few more days to try and get the swelling down in the knee area and go from there. I have to drop off a urine sample Monday morning so they can rule out the Lymphadenopathy. For now he wrapped the leg a bit so that the compression can give him some support. The Rimadyl and Tremadol will go on until Monday and then he may swap him out to a steroid to help with the inflammation. I am resigned to the fact that he will need he ortho surgery and will move heaven and earth to take care of that for him. Just kind of scared to hear if maybe he has something else going on as well and that is why we are seeing so much inflammation. I just keep getting these thoughts that they are going to tell me he has some sort of cancer or something on top of everything else. My poor Ty. :pray2:

So sorry you and Ty are going through all this... Try not to think the worst... Hard i know, as i would be probably doing the same.

Good luck on Monday... Keep us posted. Lots of positive thoughts

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks guys. The kind words and advice mean a lot. I am going to have arms to die for from carrying his big butt around. Thank God he is only 44 lbs, not sure what I would have done if he was 60 lbs or more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.