Bubba has an ACL tear!

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Bubba had a wild hair a week ago and was running around. He suddenly stopped and then started limping. Had ortho consult Tuesday and he said he more than likely has a complete tendon tear. Not good! Will probably have surgical repair in a couple weeks. Anyone had this done before?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
BUBBA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many of us have.... I will tag those that I can remember. I have been through it twice --- recovery is the tough part. 6 weeks down time, leashed walks, no stairs, no running or jumping, no furniture.

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
Bubba had a wild hair a week ago and was running around. He suddenly stopped and then started limping. Had ortho consult Tuesday and he said he more than likely has a complete tendon tear. Not good! Will probably have surgical repair in a couple weeks. Anyone had this done before?

Full tear? what leg? Have they taken an x-ray to confirm? We went through this with Radar all summer unfortunately Radar's leg was not strong enough and we had to amputate, but that is OK we are "better free on 3 then sore on 4". I have quit beating myself up about our outcome, but I do know that I would try a brace before surgery if I were to do it all over again.

We have a brace that Radar wore only maybe 8 hours if you would like to try that if it isn't a full tear -- I also have a couple of slings to help Bubba get around after if you would like I will be more then happy to send you or anyone else on this site that is going trough this the brace and instructions, I hate that this $900 brace just sits in our closet if another bulldog could use it, it seems very adjustable and I am sure would fit another bulldog

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Bummer, so sorry to hear that, poor Bubba. Please keep us posted and hope it goes well for him.

OP
bubbaisapig

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
That is sooo sweet! Thank You! It's his left hind leg. He didn't take xrays but the amount of play in his knee, he was pretty sure it is a complete tear. He didn't take xrays. He said that they have to do xrays right before sx anyway and he was trying to save me some money. If you have a sling, for after, that would be awesome if you could send it. I will send you a message with my address. Just let me know how much the shipping is and I will gladly reimburse you! Thank you again! I really appreciate it!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh I'm so sorry to hear about Bubba… I swear these dogs!!! Sending lots of hugs and prayers… keep us posted!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
That is sooo sweet! Thank You! It's his left hind leg. He didn't take xrays but the amount of play in his knee, he was pretty sure it is a complete tear. He didn't take xrays. He said that they have to do xrays right before sx anyway and he was trying to save me some money. If you have a sling, for after, that would be awesome if you could send it. I will send you a message with my address. Just let me know how much the shipping is and I will gladly reimburse you! Thank you again! I really appreciate it!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Hoping the surgery will go well! I'll always remember Bubba as the one who loves rain and puddles.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Any yay yay...sorry to hear about Bubba. Sending you both a hug.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Sorry I haven't been through this before but I hope Bubba is feeling better soon! He looks tough and I'm sure he'll get through this with flying colors. Sending good thoughts and prayers your way please keep us posted!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Hi Bubba, We got a tag from @2BullyMama. Just to let you know, Jewel has been through this. Here is a link to a thread where we discussed Jewel and her TPLO surgery. You may find it helpful: http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/39676-kids-surgery.html the link provides an overview of the procedure.

There are quite a few of us in this forum that have gone through this with our kids. Man is it a bummer but, our Jewel's quality of life is so much better. She runs and plays and has as good time. The only down side to this is the recovery period. For us, it was a 12 week ordeal. 24 hours post op was the worse for us. The vet staff brought her out and she was not using her one leg and they had this large cone on her that was so heavy, Jewel was using every little bit of energy to hold her head up. I asked what the cone was for and the vet staffer said so she can't get to her stiches. I said we don't need it because she can't reach her hind end. My girl was a pitiful sight to see just after that surgery...still drugged up and could barely walk. I told my wife to stay with here and I went and got the car so she did not have the walk to the parking lot.

At home and going to do her business outside was a task for the next week. We mad a make shift litter with a blanket to carry her outside so she could pee and poop. We assisted with her poop by taking a towel to support her belly so she could go.

We have a split level house and we all basically stayed down stairs to be with here because she could not jump, run, climb, etc. just sort of not breathing for the 12 weeks. We kept a harness on her as well as her leash to restrain her for wanting to get up and/or jump at the littlest noise that would provoke her to do so.

Now when Bubba goes in for surgery and since he will be under anesthesia, it is a good time to have other procedures done as well. We had Jewel's soft palate shortened as well as her cork-screw tail removed (much like what @2BullyMama did for Lambeau--sorry Denver beat the Pack Lewis).

If you need any other additional information, please don't hesitate to ask. Also, peruse the links from last year under "Bulldog's Health" and/or do a search for TPLO knee surgery.

I hope this helps [MENTION=2308]bubbaisapig[/MENTION].

OP
bubbaisapig

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Thank you everyone for the kind words and info! I REALLY appreciate it! Will keep you informed on how he is doing. I'm going back and forth about whether to have surgery or not because he really isn't limping much but has a hard time getting up on furniture,etc. That's probably not a bad thing though! haha. I would like him to be able to be more active again though.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thank you everyone for the kind words and info! I REALLY appreciate it! Will keep you informed on how he is doing. I'm going back and forth about whether to have surgery or not because he really isn't limping much but has a hard time getting up on furniture,etc. That's probably not a bad thing though! haha. I would like him to be able to be more active again though.

Good luck with everything! My Bella has a limp that comes and goes. I'm curious, did they notice the torn ACL on Xray? Bella's vet said her Xrays look normal, but she's still limping sometimes, so I'm probably going to end up taking her to an ortho dr eventually.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I am so sorry to hear about Bubba's ACL tear! Is there an option not to do surgery with a full tear? Is it possible that it's not a complete tear? I am terrified that Winnie will tear something because she runs all the time. She loves to play fetch and sometimes she jumps way high up to catch the ball. I hope Bubba heals well, surgery or not!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Sorry to hear about Bubba, hopefully the surgery is a succes.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.