7 month old puppy in heat?!

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Hi everyone! First, I've missed you all over the last month that I haven't been very active. I was about to post some updates of the dogs and tell you all about our move, but first....HELP ME! Regina (she is 6 months 3 weeks old) went into HEAT!

I was supposed to have her spayed closer to one year old like the vet recommended. She told me that she had never seen a dog have their first cycle earlier than 8 months, but she thought Regina would be closer to 14 months when it happened. So that was back in DC, now we're in Florida and I have no vet here that I trust yet. The search begins now.....

Any advice or tips? I'm headed to The pet store now for diapers.... I had to make her sleep in the crate last night and she was not pleased. She likes to snuggle with us and Ruckus and I rarely crate her anyway.... So, also, Ruckus isn't neutered. He had pneumonia as a puppy and then I decided to let him grow to full maturity before deciding and once he got there he was so sweet and kind natured with no marking issues that a few vets recommended just not neutering him. He doesn't hump Regina, but in he last few weeks she has started humping him. He has been tying to lick and sniff her lady parts nonstop over the past few days. Looking back all the signs were there.....she peed in the house a few times, swollen vulva yesterday, the humping....

Does anyone think Ruckus could actually get his penis inserted given their stocky anatomy? I guess I should crate her to separate her and Ruckus when I'm not home. How long do you guys think her first cycle will last? Any cleanliness tips? And 7 months?!?! Isn't this insanely early? Has anyone else had this happen?!

Do you guys think I need to take her to a bet down here now or not necessary?

Thanks in advance. I'm mildly panicked....

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh MAN… I haven't heard of a cycle that early, but I guess it's obviously possible. You need to keep them separated the ENTIRE time of her cycle, or supervise them constantly… I honestly think that Bella's heat went on for about 3 weeks. I will tag the experts on this one…

I went to Petco and got Bella a panty cover and just put a large pad in it. She absolutely HATED it, and sometimes in her crate I would just put down a blanket & let her diaper stay off. It was a total nightmare… Ugh!!!

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
[MENTION=7373]g8erjackie[/MENTION], you're in for a fun time! :fie: I had a bully previously that went into heat before 7 months. Going thru heat is in no way fun, especially when you have an intact male! I would recommend tinkle trousers, which you can find on line, as the best thing to avoid a mess. But if you don't have time to wait for them to be shipped, then I would recommend those cloth panties with a pad inside. I found it impossible to keep those disposable diapers on a bully. I made a big fuss over how cute my bully looked in her panties and she liked them because she got lots of compliments, so it wasn't hard to get her to wear them, but it was a pain to take them off every time she went to potty and on when she came back in. The pads help, but I remember cleaning lots of spots off of the carpet with rubbing alcohol. It's just a mess.

I don't know what to tell you about Ruckus. The ideal thing would be for him to go stay with a friend, because he will drive everyone crazy--not exaggerating! And I'm thinking 3 weeks is about right too. No reason to take her to a vet now. Tracey is right. If they aren't crated, watch them every single second. Good luck!

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Oh man, I'm sorry Jackie! When I took Bella to get spayed, they told me there was another bully there that was set to get spayed...BUT, her heat cycle started and they couldn't do it. Once it starts, you must wait it out.

Good luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Definitely keep them separated and don't let her out of your site for a second. You are in for about 3 to 4 weeks of fun. :) jkg. Wait about a month or two after her heat cycle before you spay her.

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I promise no emoticons in this post. You are seeing every one of them and more on Regina's and Ruckus's faces.

It is not too early for a 7 month puppy to go into 1st heat. Remember it is a function of body weight, not time.
If Regina is slightly on the heavier side (say 35 lbs) her body decided to say "what the heck bring it on"
No reason to panic. My EB had her first heat 8+ months when she was about 35 lbs.

How events will unfold:
- the cycle is 21 days give or take a couple of days; since it her 1st heat prepare for it to be longer than 21 days
- she will start peeing in the house; already has
- she will start bleeding; probably has; starts around the 3rd day
- bleed/spotting will go on for another 10-15 days
- enlarged vulva and teat enlargement will be seen
- Ruckus will be mental; Regina may be tempermental
- don't be shocked if she snaps at Ruckus or at you for the first 10 days
- appetite changes are normal; mine got a bit more hungry and thirsty
- Ruckus may lose appetite; something exciting on his mind
- separation is a must for your sanity's sake and for the dogs health
- after about 10-12 days, seduction scenes begin
- Regina will be more receptive to Ruckus's attention driving the guy nuts cause he isn't getting any
- she will actually advertise herself to Ruckus leaving you in splits of laughter or in a state of panic
- Ruckus will definitely try to hump her or your leg or the sofa
- if she has just got the hang of crate training she may unlearn it and you may have to retrain her

How to get through this period
- keep the dogs separated when you are not at home or they are not in front of you
- diapers; at least 4 a day
- get the doggie kind if they are cheap and readily available
- kiddie pull-up-pants work just fine too (EBs have very small tails)
- kids' briefs with human sanitary napkins for the first day (my lack of preparation and my wife was out of town)
- then went and got a 12 pack of doggie diapers; lasted exactly 1.5 days because my 5 year old male virile Boxer would yank them away the first chance he got
- sure shot solution; kiddie pull-ups with briefs and a safely pin
- when changing diapers gently clean the genitals with an unscented non-medicated wet wipe
- ask the vet if iron and vitamin supplements will help; I feed raw so there was no change in diet
- rest your pup well and pamper her; she is very confused
- rest your older boy and pamper him too; he is dazed & confused
- keep fresh water (if necessary change 2 times a day); the boy will really need a lot of water from the excitement without fulfillment
- feed normally; avoid foods you know that cause gas to your dogs (male and female)

Here are some pics from my experience. I can now laugh at it.
Good luck and cheers!

IMG_20150628_222112076.jpgIMG_20150628_223820045.jpgIMG_20150629_115451707.jpgIMG_20150629_115505043.jpgIMG_20150629_115521187.jpgIMG_20150630_095714079.jpgIMG_20150703_115949887.jpgIMG_20150703_120050836.jpgIMG_20150703_120106189.jpgIMG_20150703_120040262.jpgIMG_20150703_115847432.jpgIMG_20150703_115854140.jpgIMG_20150703_115952487.jpg

OP
g8erjackie

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
So I got one of those reusable/washable doggie briefs that use liners and those were a rip off so I bought maxi pads at cvs. It's not perfect, but at least now she isn't getting blood everywhere and she can sleep on the bed at night. I tried to use pull ups because there were some readily available because I'm staying with my best friend and she has small kids, but those weren't even close to fitting. Ruckus has continued to be very intense trying to sniff and lick her, but he hasn't tried to hump her...yet.

Everything has been rather normal except for the whole diapering thing. Ruckus and Regina are still best friends and she has always been kind of bossy so I think Ruckus is like eh whatever.

It was s little upsetting that Ruckus and Regina didn't get along with my friend's mom's bully who she brought over last night to stay over and watch re kids so we could have an adult Halloween. Ruckus and The other bulldog (Gator) probably would have been best of friends, but I think he was being protective of Regina and he growled and lunged...so out of character. Then Regina barked and growled at him! No one was hurt though.

The diaper is so ugly, but Regina doesn't seem to mind so much.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446412546.749114.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446412558.714820.jpg

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So I got one of those reusable/washable doggie briefs that use liners and those were a rip off so I bought maxi pads at cvs. It's not perfect, but at least now she isn't getting blood everywhere and she can sleep on the bed at night. I tried to use pull ups because there were some readily available because I'm staying with my best friend and she has small kids, but those weren't even close to fitting. Ruckus has continued to be very intense trying to sniff and lick her, but he hasn't tried to hump her...yet.

Everything has been rather normal except for the whole diapering thing. Ruckus and Regina are still best friends and she has always been kind of bossy so I think Ruckus is like eh whatever.

It was s little upsetting that Ruckus and Regina didn't get along with my friend's mom's bully who she brought over last night to stay over and watch re kids so we could have an adult Halloween. Ruckus and The other bulldog (Gator) probably would have been best of friends, but I think he was being protective of Regina and he growled and lunged...so out of character. Then Regina barked and growled at him! No one was hurt though.

The diaper is so ugly, but Regina doesn't seem to mind so much.

View attachment 92800

View attachment 92801

Teal is her signature color :giggle: Good luck -- going to be a interesting few weeks for you all

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Actually first I want to say your little lady looks cute as a button in her lady panties!!!!

Okay seriously now, the first heat cycle usually occurs from 6-9 months. Many times the first cycle is a "silent heat" which is little to no blood- there fore owners never notice it until their pup is over a year old and hasn't had a heat yet and wonder why not. So your girl is perfectly on track in fact!

:up:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Its good to see you Jackie, she looks adorabull in those pics! Size 1 diapers might help out too.

OP
g8erjackie

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
So she jumped on the bed last night and when I woke up she had wiggled out of he diaper. Laundry time.... The diaper is an awkward fit but good enough I guess. Regina is taking it all in stride, relaxing by the pool today!

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm no longer panicking.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446480003.877502.jpg

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
So she jumped on the bed last night and when I woke up she had wiggled out of he diaper. Laundry time.... The diaper is an awkward fit but good enough I guess. Regina is taking it all in stride, relaxing by the pool today!

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm no longer panicking.

View attachment 92830

she is sooooooooo not happy!

OP
g8erjackie

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
she is sooooooooo not happy!

Poor thing is a little moody. She cheered up today because we took them to the beach and to eat outside with us. The restaurant had a bag of dog treats and the dogs got tons of attention -- always their favorite!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.