Stenotic Nare surgery- laser or scalpel? What's your opinion?

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
So, Penny's going under the knife in a few weeks. By the advice of 2 vets here in town to get her nose done- I reached out to a clinic about 1 1/2 hrs from me that specialize in Bulldogs. She agreed that Penny would greatly benefit from the surgery, and since I'm getting her spayed - it's a great way to get both done at once.

One of the vets here I saw does the surgery- but with a laser. The vet out of town said she prefers using the scalpel. Both sounded confident in their method and explained to me in detail what and how they would do the surgery.

While I did like both vets- the one out of town has just had more experience doing the surgery on Bulldogs- sounded a little more confident in actually performing the surgery on a bulldog (with photos to back her up) and she had no hesitation with any and ALL questions I had, and also spent about 45 minutes with me just talking/ answering questions.

Has anyone had good/bad experiences with either method?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We did laser with Cheli, our Frenchie.... Recovery was quicker but both procedures for us were done well

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Wally was done w/a scalpel, my vet said in her opinion she preferred using a scalpel. BELIEVE ME when I say this, IF you feel confident & comfortable w/the vet (and they have lots of experience w/bully's) then I wouldn't concern myself w/the method.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wally was done w/a scalpel, my vet said in her opinion she preferred using a scalpel. BELIEVE ME when I say this, IF you feel confident & comfortable w/the vet (and they have lots of experience w/bully's) then I wouldn't concern myself w/the method.

:goodpost:

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
English Bulldog News Forums - Brachycephalic Syndrome

there was an article published by [MENTION=7457]nycbullymama[/MENTION] - there was a video attachment of a bulldog undergoing nare surgery using laser. The vet is pointing out that she preferred the laser due to the absence of blood and their ability to do a more precise scuplture as oppose to the scalpel. Good Luck.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I don't have any experience with this surgery, but I would think the laser surgery would be safer, quicker and less invasive, plus it cauterizes the tissue after it cuts, so less blood and I would think quicker recovery. I hope Penny's surgery goes well, and she heals quickly. Sending love, hugs and prayers your way.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Both of my pups also had it done by a laser. But you need a vet who's been trained to use it.
If your vet is more proficient with a scalpel, that's fine too. At the end of the day, it's about the experience.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola's surgeon was recommended by our vet, and was the top surgeon in Toronto. He preferred the scalpel, so that's how that went :) Lola's recovery was fast, and her breathing improved immediately.

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Thank you everyone!! I work in the medical field so I do know that there are many different ways to do one procedure- just wanted to hear others opinion.

I think I would have rather the laser- BUT, the more experienced bulldog vet would rather the scalpel. I'd much rather go with the vet that has more experience with doing the surgery on Bulldogs than the vet that's more experienced with the laser. Her surgery is on the 18th. I'm sure I'll be a blubbery mess until it's all over with. Lol

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Wheezie had her Nares done with a scalpel and all was good until she licked her stitches to much and they dissolved and she had to have a local and restitched.The one side is more narrow again because of this.

BrianW

Feb 17, 2013
Brown Deer, Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brandi, Jackson, Ca$h, Daisey, Winford, Charlee, Darla, Mack, Babee, Ralphie & Stuart
Had a couple of fosters that had the surgery done and all were done with a Laser. Had no problems at all with none of them.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.