Dog Food Storage

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I am having a reoccurring issue with my dog food.

I buy Nature's Variety Instinct in the 23.5 pound bag. We usually go through a bag in around a month or so, maybe a little longer.

I put the food, right after I buy it, in airtight plastic containers. I am strict about keeping the containers closed and I clean them in between every bag. I keep the plastic containers off the ground, on a shelf.

Despite this, I am STILL getting these yucky inch worm looking bugs in the bottom of the food!

How does everyone else store their food? Do you think the food is coming to me with bugs (or bug's eggs) in it? I have been trying to check the bag better for any kind of pinholes or anything but I'm wondering if anyone has a similar problem or any tips on food storage.

Thank you!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I keep our dog food (as you know same kind) in an airtight container as well and I have never had a problem. Sorry I don't have nything to suggest because it sounds like you are doing everything right.

Mike Blaylock

Dec 27, 2010
Forest Park, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
SgtMjr. Duketavius (Duke) Bruiser USMC Ret.
Are you storing it in the house or on the back porch? I have a 30 gallon trash can that is PVC and has a screw tight lid on the top. I store it in the basement. I never have had that issue and it usually takes Duke about three weeks to eat 30 lbs. He eats Nature's Receipe no grain. I'm wondering where you buy it at also along with your local climate. Some stores don't move dog food as well as others. They maybe cheaper buying the food there........but the question is........is it fresh? In dry arrid areas it is possible for flys to find their way into storage bags faster than in other climates.
So I'd check expiration dates if possible, and try another vendor source.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Hmmm, I buy the same food as you and store it the same way as you, I have never had worms/bugs, I do look every time I get him a scoop.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Could be that the containers have (microscopic) eggs in them too- and add a bit of moisture (from the food) that causes them to hatch. Do you have this problem with anything else in your home, like flour, rice, pasta, ect? Try storing the food in a different room than you are storing it now, and clean the heck out of it and dry it well before your next bag. I would also contact your food provider and let them know of the issue. It could have to do with your distributor.

I tried 4 bags of NVI and never had an issue.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
i dont store, actually need to though, just keep ours in a bag in the laundry room never had any problems

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I was thinking the same as desertsky make sure you do a BIG clean on your container. I would wash it out and even use bleach to sterilize it all then wash it again after to make sure the bleach is gone. I also store my food in big plastic screw top containers in my garage and have never had a problem. Maybe you got 1 bag that was bad and it left the residue of the bugs in the container for the next bag?

crystalmcr

Nov 8, 2010
Minnesota
Bulldog(s) Names
Frany Stein and Boris Karloff
I store my foods ( I have 2 different kinds) 40lb bags, in air tight containers and not had a problem, butI do know some people who have.... they have to store it in their freezer.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
How interesting. Yesterday as I was emptying a bag of food into the container..I was thinking "I wonder how everyone else stores their dog food"? I store unopened bags in the garage on a shelf. The opened bag I put into one of those dog food containers. I keep about a weeks rations in an airtight container on top of the fridge. I don't know if the storage container in the garage is air tight or not. They are marketed for dog food storage.

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
i store but's food in its original bag inside of a big storage container. i'm in the same climate as you so i will be sure to keep a closer eye on it. as of yet we have had no wormies though.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I pour the bag of fromm straight into a plastic storage container. I do make sure that I thoroughly wash out the container in between bags, and I actually sterilise it too with a spray that is safe to use in kitchens and on work surfaces.

I'm wondering the same as a lot of the others who have posted before me. Maybe there are still eggs in the container from the previous bag. You might want to really sterilise the container the lid and whatever you use to scoop it out with.

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
didn't know this was even possible, before I even posted this I ran downstairs and looked in the bag....luckily nothin there...creeped me out reading this

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks for the advice everyone!

I have done a good job of cleaning the containers with a anti-bacterial kitchen spray but, just to be safe, since I just opened another bag, I am going to clean them up really well again and if that doesn't work, I am going to call the place I get the food since it's been a reoccurring problems and I'm not sure where they are storing them or if they are rotating them properly. I did check the expiration date on this bag and it's still fresh and I inspected the bag carefully so it should be good.

If I continue to have my problems, I think I am going to try what Libra does and see if I can split it up and put it in the fridge or freezer.

Also, just a reminder to everyone that it's wise to save your dog food bag for a couple days after open it just in case there's a problem - the place I buy food has a policy that you must have the bag to make a return!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online