Anyone here experienced or heard of anal gland removal?

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
I was researching anal glands and I ran across about anal gland removal is this type of surgery safe?

I am just thinking the worse situation that can happen. I am taking my girl Pork Chop back to the vet for follow-up. She still wants to bite her bum she goes around in a circle. I will talk to the vet about this even though he expressed the anal glands. I am still a newbie and she's my first dog.

Wish us well on our vet visit next week, thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Removal of the anal sacs is a delicate and specialized surgery. Some veterinarians perform this procedure routinely; however, in severe cases, your veterinarian may recommend referral to a board-certified veterinary surgeon. Some dogs will experience loose stools or lack of bowel control for one to three weeks following surgery. This occurs because the nerves controlling the anal sphincters (muscles that close the rectum) run through the soft tissues near the anal sacs. If the infection is deep and extensive it can be impossible to avoid damaging the nerves during the surgery. This damage resolves without further treatment in the majority of pets. In rare cases, the nerve damage is permanent, and e, it can result in fecal incontinence or the inability to control bowel movements, with constant leakage of feces from your dog's anus. As with any surgery, general anesthesia is required, this always carries some degree of risk. Advances in anesthesia drugs and monitoring continue to decrease these risks. For dogs suffering from chronic or recurrent anal sac infection or impaction, surgical removal is the best option to relieve the pet's pain.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I was researching anal glands and I ran across about anal gland removal is this type of surgery safe?

I am just thinking the worse situation that can happen. I am taking my girl Pork Chop back to the vet for follow-up. She still wants to bite her bum she goes around in a circle. I will talk to the vet about this even though he expressed the anal glands. I am still a newbie and she's my first dog.

Wish us well on our vet visit next week, thank you

I don't have experience specifically with anal gland removal but thought Murray had a similar problem which turned out to be a tail pocket infection. He's better now after a couple of weeks of antibiotics but I've still been using the duoxo wipes for maintenance twice a day. Good luck at the vet visit! Let us know how it goes

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I was a bit nervous if this would solve her problem and vet suggesting this . Pork chop is my first dog and newbie at EBD too . She had her tail amputee. What are duoxo wipes?

Thank you for wishing us luck :)

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Removal of the anal sacs is a delicate and specialized surgery. Some veterinarians perform this procedure routinely; however, in severe cases, your veterinarian may recommend referral to a board-certified veterinary surgeon. Some dogs will experience loose stools or lack of bowel control for one to three weeks following surgery. This occurs because the nerves controlling the anal sphincters (muscles that close the rectum) run through the soft tissues near the anal sacs. If the infection is deep and extensive it can be impossible to avoid damaging the nerves during the surgery. This damage resolves without further treatment in the majority of pets. In rare cases, the nerve damage is permanent, and e, it can result in fecal incontinence or the inability to control bowel movements, with constant leakage of feces from your dog's anus. As with any surgery, general anesthesia is required, this always carries some degree of risk. Advances in anesthesia drugs and monitoring continue to decrease these risks. For dogs suffering from chronic or recurrent anal sac infection or impaction, surgical removal is the best option to relieve the pet's pain.

I am hoping this is something we don't have to go through. She had her anal glands expressed . She had it burst and bleeding near her rectum. When we went to the vet he cleaned her and expressed the anal gland. She was given antibiotics , neosporin type med and compressions suggested.

I hope the vet visit next week goes well and we don't have to go through anal gland removal. Just a concerned bully mom[emoji173]️

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=10856]MissWaddles13[/MENTION] Many years ago I had a dog that the same thing happened to. My fault,as then I didn't realize to express them. Poor thing had 2 A holes,as it burst alongside the original.She got antibiotics and same treatment as your dog,then I kept up with checking/expressing, and she never had a problem again. I wouldn't consider removing
the glands just yet. See how things go.

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=10856]MissWaddles13[/MENTION] Many years ago I had a dog that the same thing happened to. My fault,as then I didn't realize to express them. Poor thing had 2 A holes,as it burst alongside the original.She got antibiotics and same treatment as your dog,then I kept up with checking/expressing, and she never had a problem again. I wouldn't consider removing
the glands just yet. See how things go.

I am at a sigh of relief with your explanation . I really don't want to do this removal gland thing.

I will talk to the vet, how often do I do the anal gland check up and how often do they need to be expressed . My concern she still goes in a circle after the anal glands been expressed?

I noticed , before bed time I apply cold compressions on her and she sleeps like a baby without waking up in the middle of the night with the biting and circling.

Thank you for sharing will see what happens at our vet visit on Tue

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=10856]MissWaddles13[/MENTION] She is probably going in circles because she is still sore. When the anal glands abcess, it is painful. She is going in circles because it is sore and she wants to lick it(a dog's solution) and she can't reach. Once it heals, she should be fine. Some dogs need their anals expressed frequently,some not so much. Usually,
once hers are completely healed-most dogs will scoot their butt,either they have something stuck there, or they need their glands expressed.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
learn something new everyday....

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=10856]MissWaddles13[/MENTION] She is probably going in circles because she is still sore. When the anal glands abcess, it is painful. She is going in circles because it is sore and she wants to lick it(a dog's solution) and she can't reach. Once it heals, she should be fine. Some dogs need their anals expressed frequently,some not so much. Usually,
once hers are completely healed-most dogs will scoot their butt,either they have something stuck there, or they need their glands expressed.

Puts my mind ease reading thing :) I am learning

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Update

We had our vet visit on Tuesday. She had some bleeding nothing serious . The vet said , it will clear up and gave her an injection and meds .
She's a lot better and being a happy girl.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.