Eating poop

kenc87

Apr 27, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
Why is my dog suddenly eating his poop? He's 6 months old and eats fromms if that matters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
UGH.... Most times, they start this and then stop just as fast, but other times it can be because they still smell the 'food' and not the poo. I tagged a few people that might be able to give some suggestions

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@kenc87 No one really knows why they eat their poop.Some dogs never do it. Sometimes they just "discover it" something new. They'll give theories=but no real answers. One of mine who is two will get caught occasionally eating someone else's poop,but not her own.I clean the yard everyday,but sometimes she finds a "fresh"one. I chase her with the shovel,and she doesn't do it much anymore!(not much of a professional solution-but it worked!) I had a Belgian Malanois,whom my husband and I rescued out of a bad situation.He ate his poop,but I think because he had been starved. Whenever he came in the house,I would smell his breath.If I smelled poop I would say"you ate poop?! Then I would get his toothbrush with reg.toothpaste, and brush his teeth. He hated toothpaste,and after 3 times, he never ate poop again! Wonder what's in toothpaste-that he'd like poop better!?:bad:
There are commercial things that you can buy in pet stores that are supposed to stop it,or they say put paprika in their food. Best way to stop it is (if you can) stand their with him and pick it right up.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
@kenc87 No one really knows why they eat their poop.Some dogs never do it. Sometimes they just "discover it" something new. They'll give theories=but no real answers. One of mine who is two will get caught occasionally eating someone else's poop,but not her own.I clean the yard everyday,but sometimes she finds a "fresh"one. I chase her with the shovel,and she doesn't do it much anymore!(not much of a professional solution-but it worked!) I had a Belgian Malanois,whom my husband and I rescued out of a bad situation.He ate his poop,but I think because he had been starved. Whenever he came in the house,I would smell his breath.If I smelled poop I would say"you ate poop?! Then I would get his toothbrush with reg.toothpaste, and brush his teeth. He hated toothpaste,and after 3 times, he never ate poop again! Wonder what's in toothpaste-that he'd like poop better!?:bad:
There are commercial things that you can buy in pet stores that are supposed to stop it,or they say put paprika in their food. Best way to stop it is (if you can) stand their with him and pick it right up.

I have heard many reasons for it, something missing in there diet is the biggest one , Funny mine only eat it when frozen and they could care less who,s it was of of the four dogs , I have asked my vet and she says some dogs stop , some dogs you can never get too stop , She did find it NEW that Mine will only eat it when frozen .

OP
K

kenc87

Apr 27, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
Lol well I guess we will just try to keep a close eye on him. He seems to do it only when he has an accident in the house and then eats it to hide it I guess. It's made it hard to determine if he's having accidents though since he eats it... He had been doing perfect until this so we will see if it subsides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I have heard many reasons for it, something missing in there diet is the biggest one , Funny mine only eat it when frozen and they could care less who,s it was of of the four dogs , I have asked my vet and she says some dogs stop , some dogs you can never get too stop , She did find it NEW that Mine will only eat it when frozen .

Kind of like a Popsicle--yum! I don't think anyone really know why some dogs do it. I had a boxer who did it for a while and then stopped. It was super gross because after she would eat it, she'd come in the house and throw up on the rug! I think for a while, I was super good about cleaning up the poops right away. Then once she stopped, she never did it again. There is something you can put in their food, but I didn't do that because I would have had to feed it to all 3 dogs.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Kind of like a Popsicle--yum! I don't think anyone really know why some dogs do it. I had a boxer who did it for a while and then stopped. It was super gross because after she would eat it, she'd come in the house and throw up on the rug! I think for a while, I was super good about cleaning up the poops right away. Then once she stopped, she never did it again. There is something you can put in their food, but I didn't do that because I would have had to feed it to all 3 dogs.

So far been lucky well think I am lucky they do not puke it up but they do want to kiss Me NOT cool and not happening !!

Most Reactions