To Paranoid also....

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I know [MENTION=881]Gertie's Mom[/MENTION], posted yesterday about wondering if she was to paranoid, and my response was I don't think you can ever be to paranoid. As you can see under bulldog pictures, I just posted I have a new neighbor with a cute little dog. I arranged a play date today and brought her here, for Vegas to be a total idiot with her trying to hump her the whole time.

I took her home early and my new neighbor said next weekend he would like to bring Vegas over to his house maybe he would not try to hump her when not in his domain.

I said we could try, now I am sitting here thinking.....NO....he does not know the breed and how he can get over exhausted, he could steal him, he could hit him if he tried to hump his Haily, My husband thinks I am being ridiculous, we are literally steps apart from each other. I think NO...I am going with my gut. Do You think I am over-reacting or thinking to much in to it?? I have only known this guy for two weeks and he seems very nice. BUT, I guess it is a control issue, I want to be in charge and have it only at my house.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Any reason these play date attempts can't have both parents in attendance? Then you wouldn't have to worry if you stayed with him.

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
ugh, if MY gut says no....then it's no. :crazy: maybe the best way to fix this situation is to express your attachment to Vegas and without totally sounding like you do not trust him...maybe you can stress Vegas' health concerns?! ;)

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Yeah..walk him over for the date and ask if he would mind if you stayed a bit. Get him talking about the dog and let him know how high maintenance the breed is. Let him know everything you have to do and all your concerns. Either he will never let Vegas back over to play or he will listen and learn. Maybe you will become comfortable enough with them that you may even be able to have them dogsit for you when you host another party.

Mike Blaylock

Dec 27, 2010
Forest Park, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
SgtMjr. Duketavius (Duke) Bruiser USMC Ret.
I'd say be there or forget it! Your absolutely entitled to be paranoid. Bulldogs can be unpredictable and need their Alpha pack leaders (Mom & Dad)
to make them tow the line. Otherwise.......it could and probably (with no supervision) would get ugly. That's their nature and trait. They are overly protective of their space, they do bond to Alpha pack leaders because they need that guidance in their life's. With Ma & Pa Alpha their happy and fine. Other people.......weeeeeeeeeell they will walk all over them, and they will assume the alpha role on their own. Which is uuuuuuhhhhhhgggggllllly!!!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
You don't know if Vegas will behave himself, so naturally you want to be there. I don't think that's being paranoid, I think it's good judgment and makes complete sense. I would never let Linus or Truman go to anyone's house unless I was there because I know how they can be - and I don't trust THEM!

Now, keeping in mind I think I am the lone dissenter on the board with the paranoia stuff, I do not think you need to worry about your neighbor stealing Vegas. Although he is very adorable and I can see why he'd want to - I don't think you need to worry about it.

I agree with Libra's suggestion to see if you can hang out at the play date, see how it goes for a bit, and, only if you feel comfortable, let Vegas stay a bit on his own. A very good suggestion by [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] too that you might even have a little network of dogsitting formed in case you want to entertain at your place unfettered by Vegas' "love" :)

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Great advice, I hardly know this guy, and he is a kid, like 25, my kids ages and single, so I did not really want to hang out at his house, BUT, we have one thing in common we both love our dogs, and I have never met a stranger, I can talk to anybody. BUT you all are right, I will take him and ask him if I can stay and observe for a while. I am hoping in time this will all work out, today just did not go so well. It would be so nice to have some time alone, my son does come and get Vegas about once a week to play with his dog, but I am at work so I don't get to enjoy the silence, or Vegas not being up my butt!!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I am overprotective also so to me you sound totally sane. lol. There is no way in heck my boys would go to most anyone's house to play. Even people I trust would still make me anxious just because anything could happen, what if he got loose and ran into the street? I am wayyyy protective and these are the thoughts that go thru my head. I was shocked actually when I read that you had the guys pup at your house cuz to me that was crazy of him to allow. lol. Can you imagine me with my daughters?!?! They wont be spending the nights at anyone's house aside from certain family.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
go with your gut! Why don't you suggest having a play date outside? is there a park close by?

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
if he wants him over there, i would insist on accompanying him. I wouldn't trust Bear with someone who does not know the breed. I had no idea the things that could happen prior to all the research I did and certainly didn't know they get overheated and exhausted quickly. Go with your gut. Just like with a kid, get to know the parents then you may feel safer letting Vegas over without you. I do this will all my son's friends, until i am comfortable with them he doesn't go without me. You can never truly know.

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
I completely understand and think that alot of good ideas have been given above :up:. I haven't had this situation arise with Bella yet but my daughter(4 1/2 yrs old) has been talking about overnights lately :eek: and I'm like "sure, they can come here!:D" But then there is the akward convo that will inevitabley come up when the parents start wondering why their kids are to be trusted at your house but not yours at theirs? :crazy: :bust:

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
Nope.. I think you are being like many of us!! Case in point - I let Chester out in the morning and the darn stinker sometimes will NOT come in the house. Rather than leave him out there while I dry my hair - I go in late to work :crazy: (and can I add.. this sitting in front of the garage, staring out at the street - whether it be 7am or 10pm..is getting old :down: )

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I wouldn't let my dogs go over there alone .... so you are definitely NOT paranoid. I would insist on being there .... but come up with a really good excuse why I did so as not to embarass either myself or the neighbour!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.