Need some help

joe5268

Aug 6, 2015
Long Island, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Hi All, Monday evening I came home to find out that Daisy vomited in her crate. She then vomited 2 more times. I called the vet and he said to watch her and just give her water. I did and then later that night I gave a little food. She kept it down and seemed to be getting better. Yesterday she ate as normal and kept everything down. But this morning, she has liquidy poo and is very lathargic. Should I call the vet again or do we think this is a stomach bug that is running its course. Thanks for the help.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Hi There
Was her crate closed when you came home like do you close the door to keep her in there ?
do you have blankets toys with squeakers in the crate with her ? If you do are there any missing pieces to the blankets toys ect ect , if she has run of the house while you are gone is there anything she could have gotten into ?

OP
J

joe5268

Aug 6, 2015
Long Island, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Yes her crate is closed when we are not with her (she's about 5 months old). She has a tuff crate pad (nothing missing or chewed) and she gets to keep 2 nylabones and a benebone in there to chew on. All 3 look fine.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
How about the food you are feeding her ever had issues in the past , it could be the start of maybe a food allergic reaction , do you change the water often ?
Ya I would call the vet mention what has happened since you last talked no question

OP
J

joe5268

Aug 6, 2015
Long Island, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
We have been feeding her Natures Variety Instinct Puppy since 10 weeks old with no issues. Water is changed daily. Vet is not there today, I'm going to see how she is at lunch time and then again this evening. She has an appetite and is drinking water. If not better this evening I'm bringing her to the vet first thing in the AM.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi All, Monday evening I came home to find out that Daisy vomited in her crate. She then vomited 2 more times. I called the vet and he said to watch her and just give her water. I did and then later that night I gave a little food. She kept it down and seemed to be getting better. Yesterday she ate as normal and kept everything down. But this morning, she has liquidy poo and is very lathargic. Should I call the vet again or do we think this is a stomach bug that is running its course. Thanks for the help.

Hi Joe, at this point, I would be at the vet. My vet has always says once they vomit multiple times they need to be seen. The poop and lethargy are also very apparent signs that something is not right. A few things come to mind, it could be as simple as a bug, but you need to have them make sure she's not dehydrated, they'll also give her some meds for the vomiting (Cerenia prob), and some pepcid (Famodine) to help calm the belly. Also, put her on a bland (boiled rice/chicken or hamburger) for a few days to see if she improves. If the vomiting continues or the meds don't help, next step is to request xrays to ensure there is nothing foreign in her belly.

Yes please, get her to vet, try and take a poop sample as well if you can get one so they can test for bacteria. Keep us posted! Poor girl.

OP
J

joe5268

Aug 6, 2015
Long Island, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Thanks, yes, no vomiting since Monday evening. Probably around 5:45, then again at 6 and 6:10 (spoke to the vet around 6). Yesterday she seemed to be a bit better (no vomiting at all) eating and drinking fine. Yesterday's poo was good all day with a little soft for the last poo in the evening. This AM the first one was soft and after there were 2 liquidy ones (all outside, no accidents in the house). I saved the poop from this AM to bring to the vet as well. I'll pick up rice and burger meat for dinner tonight.

OP
J

joe5268

Aug 6, 2015
Long Island, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] Just curious, how much ground beef and rice should I give her?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thanks, yes, no vomiting since Monday evening. Probably around 5:45, then again at 6 and 6:10 (spoke to the vet around 6). Yesterday she seemed to be a bit better (no vomiting at all) eating and drinking fine. Yesterday's poo was good all day with a little soft for the last poo in the evening. This AM the first one was soft and after there were 2 liquidy ones (all outside, no accidents in the house). I saved the poop from this AM to bring to the vet as well. I'll pick up rice and burger meat for dinner tonight.

Perfect, I'm glad she hasn't vomited again. Make sure you choose a lean ground beef, just so there's not lots of fat. She'll love it I bet :) Keep her on the bland for a few days to let her belly settle from whatever is bugging her. You may need to add a feeding in between, dep on how many times you feed her now. The bland is absorbed alot faster, so it doesnt keep them as full as kibble. I hope its just a bug and its gone in a few days. But if she vomits again, be on the safe side and have her checked out. You sound like you're on top of it :) OH, you can also pickup some regular Pecpid (10mg) and give it to her with the bland.

OP
J

joe5268

Aug 6, 2015
Long Island, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
She gets fed breakfast around 7am, lunch around 1pm and dinner around 6pm. I'm working and can't give her another feeding during the day, but could give her some more before bed. I'll pick up extra lean ground beef and yes, I know she will love it. Every once in awhile she gets cut up steak (lean cuts only) as treats.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
@TyTysmom Just curious, how much ground beef and rice should I give her?

If she's not vomiting, I would do 1 cup at each feed. And maybe give her smaller little bit right before bed like 1/2 cup to keep it spread out. Kinda gauge how she does, to make sure no vomit, and see if she's still hungry.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Jessica/Nat have you covered...... please keep us posted and I hope it is nothing serious and just a belly upset

OP
J

joe5268

Aug 6, 2015
Long Island, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Hi All, I just wanted to give you an update. I brought Daisy to the vet Thursday AM. He took a couple of X-Rays, Blood Work and Stool Sample. X-Ray showed no obstruction and blood work and stool sample came back OK. He gave her some meds, a special food to help with the liquid stool and a probiotic and said it was probably just a bug. She is feeling much better and back to her normal self. Thank you all for the help!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online