Microchips....annual membership?

Miss Charlotte

Jan 31, 2015
Elizabeth,NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlotte
Hey Everyone, I had Charlotte "chipped" about a year ago when she was spayed and apparently her chip came with one year membership for the Home Again Pet Recovery Service... I'm confused. I received the email today to renew membership that I didn't even know I had to begin with so I'm assuming this is not necessary. Do folks pay for annual membership for chips? Or is this just the ploy that I think it is? If I am not a member how is my current information in the database? Who knew!

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
i think that if you do not pay, you just lose the benefits, not even sure what they were. Bottomline, Charlotte is chipped so any vet could read it when needed.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Some have an annual fee while others are free....

OP
Miss Charlotte

Miss Charlotte

Jan 31, 2015
Elizabeth,NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlotte
Thanks @harveyspecter I agree she can be scanned with or without membership. Seems the membership "extra" is for a lost pet alert and lost dog posters. Doesn't seem worth the fee

Id rather she have a GPS tracking device- some day we will have those. A bully tracker!
OMG an app that can track my bullies exact location now that Id pay for!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
I do not , i have 5 chipped dogs and it is a one time thing , have never paid more then the once ever, i live in Canada not sure that means anything but will mention it .

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
They already have an app that can track your dog, sorta' like a GPS.

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
I'm lost D:

Screen Shot 2015-11-27 at 9.46.32 AM.png

Anyone use Pet Key?

Winslow was chipped with this when his first owner got him. I thought that I could get him a new chip, whatever they provide at the SPCA, but they told me I had to use this and register it (don't kill me for waiting this long). It wasn't even registered, so I'm online doing that now and it says that even to maintain the registration I need to pay the yearly fee!

If this is the case I will ask my vet to give him another chip, and just pray they'd scan very thoroughly if anything ever happened.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Mine both came with 24Petwatch and I paid a lifetime fee of about $50 or so each when I changed them to my name. When we brought Chumly over from the UK his chip wouldn't scan with any info here of course so I just registered his number with a couple of the Chip companies and hoped for the best! If I had known about PetKey then I would have certainly used it.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Both of mine also have home again chips and I also thought I need to pay the yearly fee....

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Mine are all chipped and only pay once to register the chip. No annual fees here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
So I'll just pay the $45 and stop thinking about it. :rofl:
I was just worried about it actually expiring/getting wiped from their database. Don't wanna find out the hard way.

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Both of mine also have home again chips and I also thought I need to pay the yearly fee....
Home Again is what they use at our SPCA too, I thought they told me it's one and done.

This shouldn't be confusing!

Anyway I guess PetKey was onto me, so they emailed me a promo code to get $20 off a lifetime thing. I don't understand the difference between all these, but for a few bucks more than the annual membership I got a lifetime thingy AND peace of mind. done! Just need to have him scanned to make sure he shows up :p

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.