T

Tracie

Oct 10, 2015
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pazelee
Hi Tracie, Jessica gave you great advice above, I was going to suggest it was yeast as well. I'm also going through this with Bulldozer and his allergies. He is allergic to chicken, salmon, beef and lamb, and chicken and grains give him the worst symptoms. His ears get very yeasty on foods that contain chicken or grains, he gets a sour smell. Many Bullies don't tolerate chicken and can be sensitive to grains. I would switch Pazelee's protein and find a grain free kibble and see how she does. You can also give her probiotics or plain unsweetened yogurt to help with the yeast.

Great advice. Thank you so much.

OP
T

Tracie

Oct 10, 2015
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pazelee
Hello Tracie,
Smell around the facial area means one of 2 things:
1. Folds and flaps; you have taken care of that by using wet wipes
2. From inside the mouth; remember bulldogs breathe a lot thru their mouth

If it is from inside the mouth, it is the diet. For quick relief before you find an alternate food solution do this:
1. use a paper towel to wipe dry mouth area immediately after she is done eating
2. take an old t-shirt; rip small pieces and fold them over you finger
3. gently rub the teeth and gums 30 mins after every meal (outside and inside) or at least once a day

Constant bathing is not good for dogs; they lose natural body oil very soon and rashes/dry skin issues crop up.

I have a year old female who is on raw food since she was 3 months old. I live in India and it is hot bulldog-wise year round.
Bath once a in 20-25 days. I have never brushed her teeth.
She gets a gentle "facial" pampering almost every day (unscented/non-medicated wet wipes used to clean the folds, flaps, eyes, tear-stains and ear lobes).

-Raghu

Thank you, Raghu. I'm willing to try anything. :-)

OP
T

Tracie

Oct 10, 2015
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pazelee
The others can help more with food and yeast issues. I'm far from knowledgeable in that department. I give my guys a bath every 2-3 weeks. They play and roll around in the yard and always end up smelly. One thing I do for a freshener is spray them down with diluted white vinegar until fairly damp. Not in the face though as it will burn the eyes. Then I rub them down with a towel and spray them again with deodorizer or a homemade mix of water, coconut oil and essential oils. I love the grapefruit or the eucalyptus and mint spray that target has. Rub them down again and they smell so good. For their head I use the damp towel from wiping their body and get the cheeks, chin, head and ears. For their bath, if they're extra stinky I use their shampoo and some baking soda and it gets them very clean and takes the odor away. I sometimes rinse them with diluted vinegar also. It helps a lot. Just don't forget that it burns their eyes. I say this because I had been rinsing Henry with vinegar for months, always from the neck down. Then one day I guess I was thinking of something else and let it run down his face. He was sneezing and trying to rub his eyes and shaking his head, it was awful! I felt so bad. He got extra treats that day!

Poor Henry. I would have given him extra treats, too. Thank you for taking the time to provide some ideas. I truly appreciate it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.