LukeM

Oct 13, 2015
Houston, Texas
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Goomba
Hello all:

So I'm new here, and I just recently got my first bulldog about 2 months ago. She's almost 5 months old now and I love her to death! I just hate leaving her home alone while I go to work. I work from 7-4 and I go home during lunch to let her out of her crate to use the bathroom and to get about 20 minutes of playing time before I have to go back. I also have a webcam on her so I can watch her from my phone during the day. I have a bad case of separation anxiety. :(

I was just wondering if anyone else has dealt or is dealing with this and has any tips for me. I'm considering getting her a bully friend because she hasn't been socialized much since she left her litter at 10 weeks. But then that leaves the issue of leaving a puppy at home during the day.

Any tips/advice would be appreciated!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think just about everyone has gone through this at least once. It's only normal and I definitely went through it, it does get better over time. They sleep mostly when we're away and it's great when you get home and they get so excited to see you like you've been gone for months. You can socialize her after work and on the weekends, and you can get her into a puppy class where she'll be a super star. Good luck.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hello all:

So I'm new here, and I just recently got my first bulldog about 2 months ago. She's almost 5 months old now and I love her to death! I just hate leaving her home alone while I go to work. I work from 7-4 and I go home during lunch to let her out of her crate to use the bathroom and to get about 20 minutes of playing time before I have to go back. I also have a webcam on her so I can watch her from my phone during the day. I have a bad case of separation anxiety. :(

I was just wondering if anyone else has dealt or is dealing with this and has any tips for me. I'm considering getting her a bully friend because she hasn't been socialized much since she left her litter at 10 weeks. But then that leaves the issue of leaving a puppy at home during the day.

Any tips/advice would be appreciated!

Welcome to bulldog OCD :) I also have cameras to watch him during the day. Not much else you can do... You are doing AWESOME going home to let him out during lunch. They honestly just sleep alllll day. LOL

IMG_3122.JPG

OP
L

LukeM

Oct 13, 2015
Houston, Texas
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Goomba
Welcome to bulldog OCD :) I also have cameras to watch him during the day. Not much else you can do... You are doing AWESOME going home to let him out during lunch. They honestly just sleep alllll day. LOL

View attachment 92219

Awww! Do you mind telling me what camera you use? Yours seems a lot better than mine, lol.
IMG_0732.PNG

joe5268

Aug 6, 2015
Long Island, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
I'm the exact same way, with a very similar schedule.

The web cam helped a lot. I saw she really just slept all day and only woke up when she would here my car alarm lock. Seriously, I watched her camera when I got home and she was asleep, I locked my car door and she was wide awake and waiting for me.

My wife is off on Fridays, so that is the only day I don't go home, and even though I know she is out and being loved by my wife, I still feel bad not coming home to play with her.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Awww! Do you mind telling me what camera you use? Yours seems a lot better than mine, lol.
View attachment 92220

Mine are actually through our home security provider (Xfinity) haha I can see Tyson at all times, but won't be able to see if anyone breaks in, LMAO!!!

Here's a link to a thread recently started on cameras, there should be a few names in there with photos - I know Jackie's [MENTION=7373]g8erjackie[/MENTION] are good! She posted in the thread below :)

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/general-bulldog-talk/47109-pet-camera.html

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
When I used to work, my bullies would sleep pretty much the whole time I was gone. My hours were more like 9:00 to 3:00. When I had a young puppy once, my mother-in-law came over at noon to let her out. Have you thought about putting her in a doggy day care? Even though we are home with the dogs all the time now, I started taking Winnie once a week for a half-day as soon as she had finished her vaccinations--for socialization. She loved it! I have a wonderful day care close to me that I really trust with my dogs. I am in Richardson, suburb of Dallas--wondering where you are in Texas. Pappy's Pet Lodge is the daycare I use. There are multiple locations here, and they are wonderful! I don't know if there are any in the rest of TX. [MENTION=14926]LukeM[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I think just about everyone has gone through this at least once. It's only normal and I definitely went through it, it does get better over time. They sleep mostly when we're away and it's great when you get home and they get so excited to see you like you've been gone for months. You can socialize her after work and on the weekends, and you can get her into a puppy class where she'll be a super star. Good luck.

^^^ agreed!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I know I went through this but I was fortunate that I retired from work when FTSE was 10 months old but before that I felt so sad leaving him as I left for work but the excitement I got from him when I got home was so good.
On the other side of this me being home with him all day when I have to go Out he sulks really bad now very possessive of me.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
This thread made my husband laugh because I freak out about leaving Wheezie and Abbott at home for long periods by themselves.He tells me they'll be fine.It hasn't gotten easier for me and their 2 1/2.lol Luckily their grandparents watch them for us most days.Im looking into getting a camera called the Nest so I can monitor them from my phone.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
It's hard but they actually do sleep all day. Days that I worked from home I noticed that Izzy still continues with her routine of sleeping in the crate....I think she is so used with me getting home after 4:30pm that she only becomes "awake" after that time :)

What I do (and I am also from Houston) I bring her to daycare 1x week so she can play ALL DAY and get some activity. I have been doing that since she was 12 weeks old....

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
My babies are also 5 months old now. We got Lockjaw first at 7 weeks. It was summertime and someone was always home with him for the first 6 weeks. When school started back and he was then left by himself all day (we acclimated him to being home alone slowly for about 2 weeks- built up the time each time we left). I felt horrible. Our hours were about the same as yours. We ended up going back to get his sister. LOL So when he was 13 weeks, we picked up Penny. Im sure they didn't remember being litter mates at first, and Lockjaw was jealous for about a week or so, but now they get along great. Still puppy play ALOT - they are crated separately during the day and at night, but just having another buddy there with him made me feel a lot better. That was our solution. LOL - But, either way he will get used to your routine and schedule! My husband and I stayed home Monday and Tuesday this week and noticed that they slept ALOT during the day! So I'm pretty sure thats how they spend most of their days. They are pretty much wide awake from the time we get home until around 8pm (they take a short nap before bedtime @9:30).

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online