Am I TOOOOO paranoid?

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Even tho I don't live in a "bad" area, I am so nerveous about something happening to my precious girls. I have a 12 year old granddaughter who lives near by and she is here a lot. She wants to drag my girls (especially Clementine) all over, showing them off to all her friends. We go round on a regular basis, because I won't let her do this. I do allow her to take Gertie or Ida on their leash up to the mailbox sometimes (1/2 a block away), but then there was a discussion on here about not walking Bullies alone and theft of Bullies from people's homes, etc. So now if she wants to take someone for a walk, she takes Arrow.

Yesterday I got a response to an ad I placed, we have some extra furniture we want to sell. Today at noon we were supposed to have someone coming, so I got the girls' crates all moved upstairs and vacuumed the heck out of the family room so there'd be no sign of the crates having been there. There was NO WAY I was going to have a stranger here to see the girls. I'd be afraid they'd come back and break in sometime when we aren't home. So now it's 2:00 and no one has arrived. I've given my address and directions. At some point I have to let the girls out of their crates. I wish I had just given this stuff to Goodwill! Are you all as paranoid as I am? Am I nuts?

L

Lucy-licious

I sure wont let Connor take Lucy for a walk that often, and when he does it only up the street in daylight and he has his personal alarm with him, which believe me if that went off we'd hear it.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I think it's wise to use caution but you may be worrying too much about something that has a very small chance of ever happening.

Of course, when you put anything on Craigslist or have your grandchildren go anywhere alone or with the dogs, you want to be careful because but the chances of someone targeting your home because of the dogs is highly unlikely. I am certain there are a myriad of other things to take that are easier to "turn around" for money than dogs and most cases we hear of are probably incidental to someone getting burglarized anyway.

To put it another way, do you worry when you drive to the grocery store that you will be in a car accident on the way there or back? Probably not. There is a far greater chance of that happening than someone targeting your home because of the dogs. Enjoy them, walk them, let them meet people - just exercise proper caution and common sense when letting them out and leaving them in the care of your grandkids.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
Your right [MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] but I totally understand [MENTION=881]Gertie's Mom[/MENTION] , I have the same issues. It started hitting me when neighbors I have never talked to before walk over to see Moe and say stuff like "Oh I had heard about him and had to come over to see him" ... So great, neighbors who we don't really know, who know when we are not home, are talking and taking interest in our new pet... and you all know how much trouble I went through to get him. That is not a comfortable feeling. I do have cameras set up in the house that will trigger and record on movement or sound, and we are able to check in on them with the camera feeds through our phones, so yes, I guess I'm paranoid as well.

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
I don't blame you at all [MENTION=881]Gertie's Mom[/MENTION] . I worry too. We live in the city and I hate not being able to walk her around the block for fear of someone seeing a bully and $$$. About 6 months after we got Cassie we saw a missing poster of a baby bully that had been taken from someones yard.Why they weren't watching it I have no idea.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I don't think you can ever be to paranoid. I use special caution with Vegas, and I know every Tuesday in our development we have our yards taken care of so therefore every Tuesday all my blinds and doors are closed, shut and locked all day.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Nope not too paranoid. I am the same way!

[MENTION=881]Gertie's Mom[/MENTION] you have a new avatar!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I feel totally ignorant here but since so many people are of like mind, I have to ask: where does the idea come from that people will burglarize a home to steal a bulldog?

I can see using due caution when the dogs are out for a walk with younger children, in [MENTION=881]Gertie's Mom[/MENTION] case - for the safety of both the dog and the child as well as making sure the dogs are attended when outside but it seems far fetched to me that someone would burglarize a home in order to steal a bulldog or that you somehow need to hide your bulldogs from strangers or neighbors so they don't want to steal them?

Do you worry about driving an expensive car around and leaving it in the garage? Do people really want to steal a dog in order to make money? Why not take something easier like a laptop or a camera or television?

In fact, now that I'm thinking back on it, all of the "strangers" that I've ever had in my house to fix something, deliver something, pick something up, etc. have all been afraid of the bullies more than anything else.

I sympathize with the love for my bullies and shuddering at the thought of something bad ever happening to them - I do! But this idea that people need to hide their bullies to avoid being targeted for burglary is just completely foreign to me? What am I missing?

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
You are correct [MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] it's probably not a good idea to get too carried away and I don't mean to scare you [MENTION=881]Gertie's Mom[/MENTION] . It's just MY neighborhood. We've had vehicles broken into ,kids wondering in our back yard, bikes stolen. People want what they can't afford sometimes. You don't see bulldogs every day and the kids around here aren't taught to respect other people's property. A guy stopped in front of our house today yelling at a kid on a bike about why he was in his yard messing with his stuff... we really need to move, but no one is buying right now.

OP
G

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
[MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION]: Well, I guess if you can do things like you describe and not worry, good for you. I guess I'm just a "worrier". My daughter often tells me, "You're never so happy as when you have something to worry about". I do the same thing with my grandkids, which drives my 12 yr. old granddaughter bananas! But when you hear about things like Michal Biggs (Phoenix members, remember her?) Middle of the day, she vanished four houses away from her home, never to be seen or heard from again. That was in Mesa, 12 years ago. If Rylee wants to go to friend's house several blocks away, I drive her. I just don't think you can ever be TOO careful with kids, or pets (those defenseless things that you are responsible for).

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
i'm a little on both sides of this discussion. i live in a smaller close knit town that keeps growing like crazy! i don't feel i have to hide my bully but i am VERY aware of my surrounds and would never leave him unattended in our yard even though we have a large fenced in yard. you just never know. now, if i were to have someone in my home that i do not know...i definately would put Bullet in another room. i do follow the guidelines "it's better safe than sorry". we live directly across from a large open park, it's never really busy but there are usuallly a good dozen people or so there daily. i don't plan to let my children take Bullet there without me. We have only had him a couple months and what little i've been able to have him out on short walks, i have had that "wow, it's a bulldog...we don't see that kind around here" a few times already with random people following us around longer than they really should. it's worse when they start asking questions "those are expensive, right?" "where did you find one at?" :crazy:

this goes along with my kiddos. we live 4 blocks from the grade school and i would never let them walk alone to or from. i don't feel i am 'over protective' but i am being pro-active. my dad use to say "oh they have never had a kid kidnapped in our town" and i retort right back..."and mine will never be the first!". :guns:

OP
G

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
[MENTION=1717]Momma2Bullet[/MENTION]: I'm with you completely! Just cause "it's never happened" doesn't mean it never will. "Better safe than sorry" is a good motto to live by, I think.

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
Im a cautious bully-mama too! Im not sure someone would brake in just to steal your bully, but bulldogs are among the most stolen breeds and easy to "resell". It may be your TV that catches a theive's eye, but your bully is worth even more!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Tough question. I don't worry too much about Samson at my house because we have an alarm. Samson is only one of the many reasons we got it though. Dave is an outdoorsman with lots of very valuable equipment and when we bought our house it was already fully equipped with the needed alarm system equipment, we just had to turn on the service so it wasn't a big deal. BUT when we lived in our apartment we didn't have an alarm and I had to walk the pups 4-5 times a day because as you can imagine we didn't have a yard. I just figure you have to live your life. No matter what, people are going to see you leave your house with your dogs (no matter your situation you have to go to the vet right) and if they want to steal they are going to steal. I just take the same precautions that I do as a woman, like I am not going to go walking alone on a trail at night.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.