christaleigh123

Apr 8, 2015
MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spanky
Hello! I have a question for you guys about Spanky and his puking! He has always been a "puker"....at first I thought it was because he was just eating too fast, so we have started giving him a little bit at a time until his serving is gone. That seems to help a little bit, but he still pukes a couple times a week and it's always after breakfast! I have also portioned out his water at meal times thinking that he maybe just guzzles too much of that down, and then needs to puke. We are feeding him Blue Buffalo Puppy. Do I need to change food? Or is this something that is just going to happen? Thanks!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We did not know it for almost two years but our first bully did this and it turned out he was allergic to rice ... But have you tried feeding dinner a little later.. He may have an empty belly and the sudden food upsets it. Does he vomit the whole meal?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Purina also alleges that this advertising campaign directly attacked the integrity of their company and others like them.
This is backed up by information on Blue Buffalo’s website:
“Some brands cut corners by using protein from chicken or poultry by-product meals, or even worse, from corn, corn gluten meal, soy or soybean meal–not Blue.”
Blue has repeatedly denied claims that their food contains meat by-products, but the company made a startling admission in court on Wednesday. According to a press release from Purina, Blue acknowledged that their products contained a “substantial” and “material” amount of by-products.”

OP
C

christaleigh123

Apr 8, 2015
MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spanky
Purina also alleges that this advertising campaign directly attacked the integrity of their company and others like them.
This is backed up by information on Blue Buffalo’s website:
“Some brands cut corners by using protein from chicken or poultry by-product meals, or even worse, from corn, corn gluten meal, soy or soybean meal–not Blue.”
Blue has repeatedly denied claims that their food contains meat by-products, but the company made a startling admission in court on Wednesday. According to a press release from Purina, Blue acknowledged that their products contained a “substantial” and “material” amount of by-products.”

So what that is saying is that Blue Buffalo is not as "top shelf" as it seems? If so, is there a different brand you would suggest? Spanky is 8 months old and is 58 pounds, if that helps. Thanks!

OP
C

christaleigh123

Apr 8, 2015
MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spanky
We did not know it for almost two years but our first bully did this and it turned out he was allergic to rice ... But have you tried feeding dinner a little later.. He may have an empty belly and the sudden food upsets it. Does he vomit the whole meal?

His supper time meals vary, I guess I haven't noticed a pattern between the early supper time meals and the breakfast puking. And yes, it does seem to be almost his whole meal. I am starting to get confused because today after class I took Spanky for a walk and gave him a pretty small amount of water...came out from the bedroom and he had puked his water and there was a small amount of food with it too. This was at about 4:00pm, and he had breakfast at 7:30am. Obviously being a bulldog he scarfs down everything like its the last he will ever see of it, but i give him small amounts for that reason. Not sure what else to do besides switching foods maybe? But it also seems to be an issue with water. Sorry if this is confusing! My mind is trying to sort things out!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
His behavior is normal? No poo issues? How old is he?

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola has been a puker too. we found that slowing down her eating and eating from a point higher than the floor was helping. For example, instead of whole thawed big chunks of raw meat patties (she eats NVI raw) we now give her the frozen kibble bits, which slow her down considerably. We also either put the bowl up higher or in the beginning we would hand feed her so that the food would go down her esophagus with gravity. I would consider a food change first. Does he have any breathing issues (elongated palate?) Do you let him play after meals? We have a rest period after dinner even though Lola wants to zoom. And finally, if we let Lola lick her paws for more than a minute or two, she will throw up, so we limit that.

OP
C

christaleigh123

Apr 8, 2015
MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spanky
Lola has been a puker too. we found that slowing down her eating and eating from a point higher than the floor was helping. For example, instead of whole thawed big chunks of raw meat patties (she eats NVI raw) we now give her the frozen kibble bits, which slow her down considerably. We also either put the bowl up higher or in the beginning we would hand feed her so that the food would go down her esophagus with gravity. I would consider a food change first. Does he have any breathing issues (elongated palate?) Do you let him play after meals? We have a rest period after dinner even though Lola wants to zoom. And finally, if we let Lola lick her paws for more than a minute or two, she will throw up, so we limit that.

Thanks! I have done everything in my power to slow down his eating (takes 15-20 minutes to finish a bowl). He is pretty lazy in the morning so he typically will eat and then go lay down. I haven't tried setting his bowls up a little higher so i might have to try that! His breathing is also fine!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.