Driving me INSANE!

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
:crazy: I knew I shouldn't have let hubby pick out the puppy . I love the little fart but man is she a biter!I know there is no such thing as a bad dog..it's a bad owner. I'm at the end of my rope with figuring out how to correct her biting feet and anything else in reach.. I'm beaten and bloody. Tried the pennies in a can, tried the squirt bottle,tried alpha. She definitely has the stubborn bulldog nature. :*( We are having a dog trainer come over on the 10th to show us the error of our ways. Wish she could come over sooner! She told us to get a collar which I hate doing and take away her puppy corral.

*sigh* the last two dogs were a breeze to train

Just needed to vent :angry:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Hang in there Lisa. She WILL eventually get over it,,, of course you may look like raw hamburger by then.. LOL I'm sure it is quite frustrating. Hope you find the solution soon. :)

Miss Molly

Feb 18, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
I am dealing with this issue too, with my new 6 month old pup. So I feel your pain. The only thing I have tried so far is giving her a toy or nylabone when she is biting, so she will realize she needs to chew those, not us! I have also tried ignoring her when she won't stop biting, but that leads to the diva attitude and whining. She is just play biting, but it hurts and I want to break her of this.

Good luck!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
It will be interesting to hear what the trainer does. Is the trainer experienced with Bulldogs? She will outgrow the foot biting but it is a pain in the foot to deal with now!

bjsfarm

Jan 12, 2011
Narvon PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter Cup, Ellie, Double D & CJ. Jr., Max, Doc & Willie
My experience with biting/chewing is to get them a raw beef bone, the femur bone straight from the butcher. I know it sounds gross, but it works like a charm. What I do is have them in the freezer, take it out and give it to them frozen, and then after an hour or so pure bliss chewing, or until they leave it alone. I take it and put it back in a freezer bag and freeze it again. That way it won't smell up your home and the cold feels sooo good on their gums/teeth.
Keeps them occupies for hours and they won't feel the need to chew on our toes :)
A good practice for punishment is to take the extra skin on the side of their neck and say "NO!" twist the skin and make them drop to the floor, keep them there for a few seconds, make it hurt if they hurt you, it must hurt them to make it "sink in". Or a guy just told me this week he bites the pup back, bites till they cry and that will stop the biting behavior as well :)

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Gertie was a BAAAAD biter when she was little. I started just grabbing her little face and clamping her mouth shut with my hand and telling her "NO biting!". If she didn't stop, she went nighty-night for a while in her crate. It took a week or so, but she quit. I'd also give her something or hers' to bite on, that seemed to help. The frozen bone does sound like a good idea.

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone! I know it will pass in time. Hoping by the time we have a bulldog meet up with the club we can at least take her without being embarrassed that our bully won't even sit for more than 2 seconds. I'll try the bone. we have a lot of markets around that have fresh bones for sale in the butcher shop. A friend did tell me to bit her back and I tried last night, but it doesn't seem to phase her. We probably should have waited till spring to get her..hard being cooped up in this small house.

L

Lucy-licious

I really do not miss the biting, and for a while there i thought she was never gonna stop.
I cant recall how it happened or when but it slowed and stopped, hang in there hunny xx

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
Guinness was a bad biter at first...what worked for him was to hold him on his back until he stopped squirming around and realized i was the alpha...took a long time the stubborn *** squeled and scratched but eventually learned...he is good now, only bites when we are playing with a toy and can't get mad at him for that...good luck...def keep us posted on what the trainer says and does, will be interested to hear

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Will do [MENTION=925]wfd38383[/MENTION] We have tried alpha..maybe we don't hang in there long enough, the other night I had her on her back for 20 minutes and she was still screaming at me and clawing. She is definitely tenacious....

Thanks @Lucylambchop and @BruceP :hug:

@Alice Kable I'm not sure if she has trained bullies or not. These are some of her qualifications..if she can get some peace in our house she's a heaven sent angel! :angel:

Completed workshop at the Balanced Trainers School through Applewoods Dog Training with Margot Woods and Coeur d’Lion K-9 with Linda Kaim, Maryland · Completed Sit Means Sit Dog Training Workshop with Fred Hassen, New Jersey
· Participated for two years in Canine Freestyle classes with Bella Vista Training Center, Wellsville, PA
· Completed E-collar Basics Workshop through The Dog Training Company with Susan Engel and Ron Nober, New Jersey
· Completed Pack to Basics Workshop, Advanced Socialization Solutions for Difficult Dogs with Chad Mackin, Cleveland, OH

@Miss Molly I'll be sure to let you know what she does if it works...maybe it can help you :up:

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
[MENTION=1652]Angelgirl[/MENTION] i held Guinness down for about 20 minutes one time where he was screaming like a pig being slaughtered and he also peed himself, but he learned and eventually stopped and after that was good...was not satisfying when it was going on

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Daddy was an awful biter ... not just us but paticularly Maggie. He used to just hang on Maggies jowls and wrinkles until she bled.. it was awful. Somehow he just grew out of it .... his current thing is jumping up and trying to grab whatever is in your hands ... or sometimes just your hands if you have nothing there!!! :angry:

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
I sure hope she grows out of it! We left the dogs together for the first time today... we kept them mostly separated because we thought Gunner would hurt Belly. He put her in her place a few times (I was holding my breath) but all went well with them. I wouldn't say they were buds just yet, but at least Gunner knows how to get her to stop biting!

BabeEnglishBulldog

Feb 17, 2011
Have you check the teeth of your dog already? Maybe there is something wrong with the teeth which explains the over biting behavior of the dog. Have a trip to a dental vet to take a look at those teeth.

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
The vet checked her teeth and personally got to feel them lol! Nothing wrong with them other than she's being a puppy and teething. She's going to the same wood stairs and molding that Cass teethed on. Wish they made puppy Anbasol!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.