Going for Walks & Being Outside

Burrish

Dec 24, 2010
Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Bosley
I'm still in the process of adopting, and I want to get as much feedback as I can about taking these dogs outside. I'm in Texas, and, while the weather is currently quite nice, it will inevitably get to its usual 90+ degree-period during the Summer.

If you're in an area of the country that's considered hot, what amount of time do you allow your Bully to be out? How long are your walks? If the temperature in your area is consistently in the 60s/70s, and the skies are clear with direct sunlight, do you allow the little one to stay out for a longer period of time? Last weekend was gorgeous here in the metroplex, and my girlfriend and I were outside for most of the day. We had her dog with us (Whippet mix), and he was loving the extra basking time. I was sitting there wondering to myself if a Bully could handle being out there since it was in the low 60s for most of the day. As previously mentioned, I was also wondering about the direct sunlight aspect.

I've read about the tragic overheating stories, and I want to know all that I can to avoid getting anywhere near that. I also want to get my Bully an adequate amount of exercise so that he/she will be happy. All input is greatly appreciated! :)

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
My Samson LOVES to sunbath. In the summer time it gets HOT where I live. So when it's 100's, 90's and 80's out, it's outside to potty and I make him come STRAIGHT back inside. 70's is a judgement call, if Samson starts getting all pink and panting while he's sunbathing I make him come inside. Personally if it's just in the 60's/low 70's I let Samson stay outside as long as he wants. Same with walks, I wouldn't walk Samson for very long (more than 10-15 min) if it's over 70.

As for adequate exercise in hot times. I get a toy Samson loves and find a place in my house where I can throw it and its a long stretch for him to run and get it. So I make him play fetch like that just in an air conditioned house, that always works to get him nice and tired :) Hope that all helps. SOOO glad to hear you are adopting, there are so many bullys that need homes so I'm always so happy to hear when someone has opted to adopt.

Last edited:

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
We are in Tx as well this will be our 2nd summer w lex. Last summer he was only 5 6 months old and he had a hard time. Now that he is a yr and 63 lbs it gonna be awful for him. During the hot hrs we won't let him outside unless it's to potty, if he wants to sun bathe then we monitor and sit outside w him. For walks we would go right before dark and would only go about a block cause he would get so hot...We noticed that his nasal Passage isvery very narrow and I'm hopingthat once we get that opened up it will be easier onhim to breath when it's warm out.Now this weather we have been havin we can barely get him to come inside and he has been fine. We had to keep him inside cause today was in the 80 and he was having trouble breathin while he was just walkin around :(. Also last summer Lexs dad was 85 lbs and died of a heat stroke cause they left him outside in the heat To lOng. So never never leave ur bullie in the heat unattened!!

Last edited:

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
My area doesn't get extreme heat but when it is over 75 or 80 degrees, its in and out, we play inside for excercise. Under 75 I give him 10 15 minutes tops because once he starts his heaving panting I have to get him to calm down. In my research getting a bully I read one too many stories of over heating.

Mike Blaylock

Dec 27, 2010
Forest Park, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
SgtMjr. Duketavius (Duke) Bruiser USMC Ret.
Weeeeeeeeeeell, I'm going on 6 years as Dukey's buddy.........Here in Cincinnati it get's hot during the summer. Sooooooooo, when it's over 76 degrees I only take Duke out for short walks (across the street) to the park. The one thing not mentioned.......if your going to be out in the sun..........buy some tube air conditioner scarfs for around their neck. (you can purchase them thru our club here in Cincinnati. The website is:Contact Us
You fill them with ice cubes and tie them around your bulldogs neck. These help immensely with displacing body heat. The other thing.........in the heat.........always use a harness!.............never a choker collar or any other collar........ The harness helps them breath better and avoids heat exhaustion better because they aren't straining to breath. I hope I helped, Have a great day!

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I'm in Az. Our summers are HORRIBLE! I got Gertie in early July last summer. It was pretty much out to potty and back inside, unless it was dark out, then sometimes she could play outside for a little bit. Our yard has two gazebos straight off the patio, and there's always fresh water (with ice cubes when it's really hot.) So there's always shade and water. This time of year they LOVE to spend long periods outside. I'm surprised at how they HATE the cold! Everyone is showing pics of their Bullies bounding through the snow drifts, and these spoiled girls don't want to go out at all if it's under 50. We haven't had any days over mid 70's this winter, so heat hasn't been an issue. But as it warms up here in a couple months, they'll have to spend more and more time inside. They get plenty of exercise, probably because there's more than one so there's always someone to rough-house with.

OP
Burrish

Burrish

Dec 24, 2010
Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Bosley
Thanks a bunch for the information, everyone! I've now been sent the link for Carolina's a few times, and I need to get to shopping! I'll also be looking into getting the ice collar, so thank you for that.

We're outside again today, and the temperature has gotten into the low 70's. When the clouds aren't covering the sun, I can see it being too hot for a Bully. There was a lady walking her little Bully girl out here in the park, and she was very quick about it. I'm positive that I'll be over-cautious, but that's ok. As cute as the breathing/snorting sounds are, I'm sure there's a fine line between that and the labored breathing I read about.

As far as adoption, I'm thrilled about it. Yes, I'd love to have a puppy, and I'll likely get one someday, but I also like the idea of taking one in. As I said in another thread, I can't wait!

Last edited:

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
I have one of those ice collars. I got it on clearance at petco, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I am glad to hear that someone else has had good experiences with it and it wasn't a waste of money.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
[MENTION=1639]Burrish[/MENTION] sat and sun lex stayed outside for most of the day playing with the skin kids helping us treat the fence and he was fine both days. which we are in west tx but im sure it was about the same as what yall had as well.. walking i would have still kept it somw what short but with him playing and in and out all day he was fine.

OP
Burrish

Burrish

Dec 24, 2010
Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Bosley
[MENTION=1041]lexterwayne[/MENTION]

Yeah, I think the weather in our respective areas was basically the same. When Lex was outside playing, was it for periods longer than fifteen minutes at a time? Was it a case of you making him go back inside, or did he do it on his own?

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
[MENTION=1639]Burrish[/MENTION] both sat and sun he stayed out most of the day with us he would go in when it was nap time.... the only time i had to put him up was sunday cause he was about to come through the fence trying to get the paint sprayer when it was on lol

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I live in North Florida but our summers can get very hot. Non of the dogs are allowed outside for any period of time with out someone out there with them. There are times we are out in the pool and they will stay out with us, but we watch them very carefully and have ceiling fans in the covered patio area. If they get too hot, they will head to the door and we let them in asap. We also have a real wide step at the end of the pool and each dogs knows that they can only get on that first step and lay on it to cool off. Again when someone is outside.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
We live in Ohio and it is very cold and a lot of snow in the winter, then summer becomes very humid because we are close to Lake Eerie. Maggie LOVES to sunbathe so we have a problem getting her to come back in during the summer. We get the "evil eye" from her when we force her to come in .... that's when it's in the 90s, 80s and high 70s. If it is low 70s and the humidity is not too bad then we let her stay outside for a little longer. Walks during the summer and winter become very few!!! :crazy:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online