HELP!! Too much rain and not enough poop!!

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Soooo, it's been raining where I'm at for about a week straight now. Not just sprinkle, like hard rain. I have 2 babies. My boy has no issues with going potty. Rain or shine when we take him outside he does his business and is ready to go back in. Our girl on the other hand takes her sweet time. Lately I'm having a hard time getting her to poop before bedtime. They are on a good schedule 5 am wake up, outside/poop, eat then about 30 mins later poop again. We go to work/ school then they get let out again around 330/4- they both poop again. Eat at 5pm, poop again about 30 mins later. Lastly before I put them down, it's last call around 9pm. My boy goes without issues. And up until the rain, my girl was doing really well too.

My scare is that she will poop in her kennel if I don't wake up in the middle of the night to to take her out. We didn't get her until she was 13 weeks, and was not potty trained at all. So we had some issues with her pooping in her kennel. NONE of the traditional methods worked for that. We just had to get her on our schedule. We've had her for just over a month and she's doing great! Her last poopy kennel was last Wednesday!! And before that she had went about 1 1/2 wks! Initially I was waking up at 1:30 am to take her out, but didn't need to do that after about a week. So now, lately I've been waking up at 1:30 to take her out only if she doesn't go before bed.

Do you think she just legit doesn't need to go? I don't want her to get used to going at 130- but I don't want to wake up to a poop kennel at 5 am either! They are almost 5 month old siblings. We got him at 7 wks and her at 13 weeks.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
If she "goes" at 1:30, I would continue taking he out . My dogs hate the rain, and I have to push them out-and then stand there with them! When the rain stops, she will probably go back to your previous schedule.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I don't know if this will help, but one of my guys would request for an umbrella if it's raining. If not, then he won't do his business and would beg to come back inside.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
At 5 mths old I would thing the 1:30-2 AM potty is needed anyway -- is she holding her bladder form 9 PM to 5 AM without the rain?

You may want to think about a raincoat for her if it continues. But, our Frenchie is like this, HATES the rain, we have to carry him out and place him in the grass and command 'potty' -- took months for us to get him to potty in the rain, but it finally happen. We still at times (he is 4 yrs old) have to be more stubborn than him, but you have to be patient if you know she HAS to go, stay until she does

boxorox

Jul 2, 2014
Wisconsin
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
You could try this. :) Backyard-tents-for-sport.jpg

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
4-5 poops a day is a lot...I would ask what and how much you are feeding them. Too much grain/carb filler may lead to more volume consumed and more volume waste to get the same nutrition as a smaller amount of grain-free food for example which would result in less waste. Lola only goes once a day (she's on raw though). Lola also tries to get out of pooping in the rain, but we go out with her, with an umbrella and wait it out. It's usually before work in the morning and we give her one last opportunity to go before we head out. She's been potty trained for many years though. Stick it out!

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
If she "goes" at 1:30, I would continue taking he out . My dogs hate the rain, and I have to push them out-and then stand there with them! When the rain stops, she will probably go back to your previous schedule.

I think so too. She's been doing really well until all this rain came! Go away Joaquin!!!! Lol

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I don't know if this will help, but one of my guys would request for an umbrella if it's raining. If not, then he won't do his business and would beg to come back inside.

I've done that too. But she will just sit under or beside me. Like she's good just sitting there- no interest in pooping what so ever. Lol. I think it's just the rain. She wouldn't go this morning either. I raced home over lunch to let her out (to avoid a poopy crate) and this time it didn't take her long at all to go. Tonight the same thing. Did t want to go. I didn't drag it out like I did last night. Gave her a sufficient amount of time. Came in and put her to bed. I'll be up at 1:30. ��

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
At 5 mths old I would thing the 1:30-2 AM potty is needed anyway -- is she holding her bladder form 9 PM to 5 AM without the rain?

You may want to think about a raincoat for her if it continues. But, our Frenchie is like this, HATES the rain, we have to carry him out and place him in the grass and command 'potty' -- took months for us to get him to potty in the rain, but it finally happen. We still at times (he is 4 yrs old) have to be more stubborn than him, but you have to be patient if you know she HAS to go, stay until she does

Yes- they both hold it through the night. Bedtime is closer to 10. I start the final outside trips at 9/915 ish.
I didn't think about the raincoat! That's a good idea. It's gotten chillier as well- maybe that has something to do with it also? Cold and wet- not a great combo. Lol. When we take her out we repeat over and over " go poop" and she just looks up at me with her sweet puppy eyes. If they would only understand that we would go back in the house sooooo much sooner if they would go right away. My boy is amazing! Goes right away with no issue. The raincoat is definitely a good idea though. Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes!!!! Love that!

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
4-5 poops a day is a lot...I would ask what and how much you are feeding them. Too much grain/carb filler may lead to more volume consumed and more volume waste to get the same nutrition as a smaller amount of grain-free food for example which would result in less waste. Lola only goes once a day (she's on raw though). Lola also tries to get out of pooping in the rain, but we go out with her, with an umbrella and wait it out. It's usually before work in the morning and we give her one last opportunity to go before we head out. She's been potty trained for many years though. Stick it out!

They get a cup 2xs a day (5am/5pm) Victor high energy. Not grain free- but quality high protein grains. This bag is almost gone and I'm planning on trying the grain free next though, I'm also having an issue with tear staining. I'm so used to how my boy uses the bathroom it's hard to distinguish HER routine as well I guess. When it's not raining I haven't had this issue. I think she just doesn't like the rain. Ugh!! Thanks you!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.