Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Default Horrible allergies!

Bella has been on Fromm Grain-Free Lamb & Lentil since she graduated from Fromm Puppy 6 months ago. For the past 3 weeks to a month, she's been licking her paws super obsessively. Also, her tear stains have gotten really bad.

Occasionally, I'll feed her Canidae biscuits (turkey, quinoa, butternut squash flavor). They are not grain free, but it's super infrequent (like, a half one every week, sometimes nothing for weeks).

Because of all of this, yesterday, I switched her to Fromm Grain-Free Salmon Tunalini. I am hoping it is the lamb that she's allergic to. Is lamb a common allergen for bullies?

I usually add ACV, fish oil, and coconut oil (alternating) to her food. I'm thinking I'm going to stop that, too, in case that's the problem. I just want her better.

Am I on the right track? What else should I do? I can tell she's miserable. Today I noticed a little swollen patch of red skin between her toes, like she had been licking it all day.

Tonight, she started that snorting through the nose thing. I remember reading here to cover the nostrils so that they breath from their mouth. I did that, and she stopped. Is that related to allergies? It really scared me!

As you guys know, she goes to daycare at the vet everyday. Should I have them look her over tomorrow, while she's there...or should I see what happens with the food switch? What if they give her meds, and I never know what the allergy is? Don't food switch change affects take a long time?
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}

IG: @bellatheenglishbully

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Horrible allergies!

Could be food... The L&L was brutal for Banks and Cheli too--- and it did not show up till after the second bag. I went back to Pork snd Peas and within a week all went away
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

3. Likes Cali Doll liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member Cali Doll's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Ohhhh! Man! I bet that's it! Thank you!
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Banks one eye got so red and they constantly watered... Cheli was licking paws and also constant wayering
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

6. Likes Cali Doll liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Tyson didn't do well on the lamb either. For now just relief wise give her a low dose Benadryl. But the food change may help!!! Poor baby, Allergies kick our butts here too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

8. Likes Cali Doll liked this post
    Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

I gave her the Benadryl, and she's dozing away. Sweet girl put herself to bed in her crate.
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}

10. Likes TyTysmom, savemejeebus liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
    I gave her the Benadryl, and she's dozing away. Sweet girl put herself to bed in her crate.
    Aweeeeeeee at least she's getting some relief!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

12. Likes Cali Doll liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
    Likes (Received)

Does she get treats at daycare? What about shared water? I know that Henry gets a reaction from cross contaminated water. Everyone in the house has to be chicken and grain free otherwise he gets itchy.

14. Likes Cali Doll liked this post
    The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Lamb is considered a hot meat so if they are sensitive it will show for sure. Harlea is majorly allergic to lamb and will break out in a rash after eating a few pieces.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

16. Likes Cali Doll liked this post
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
    Bella has been on Fromm Grain-Free Lamb & Lentil since she graduated from Fromm Puppy 6 months ago. For the past 3 weeks to a month, she's been licking her paws super obsessively. Also, her tear stains have gotten really bad.

Occasionally, I'll feed her Canidae biscuits (turkey, quinoa, butternut squash flavor). They are not grain free, but it's super infrequent (like, a half one every week, sometimes nothing for weeks).

Because of all of this, yesterday, I switched her to Fromm Grain-Free Salmon Tunalini. I am hoping it is the lamb that she's allergic to. Is lamb a common allergen for bullies?

I usually add ACV, fish oil, and coconut oil (alternating) to her food. I'm thinking I'm going to stop that, too, in case that's the problem. I just want her better.

Am I on the right track? What else should I do? I can tell she's miserable. Today I noticed a little swollen patch of red skin between her toes, like she had been licking it all day.

Tonight, she started that snorting through the nose thing. I remember reading here to cover the nostrils so that they breath from their mouth. I did that, and she stopped. Is that related to allergies? It really scared me!

As you guys know, she goes to daycare at the vet everyday. Should I have them look her over tomorrow, while she's there...or should I see what happens with the food switch? What if they give her meds, and I never know what the allergy is? Don't food switch change affects take a long time?
    hi Cali, I know exactly how you feel, and what you are going through. I just went through this with Bulldozer. My guys were on Fromm's Beef Frittata for two years and then both were showing signs of allergies, so I switched them both to Fromms lamb and Lentil. They were on this food for 9 months and Blossom is still doing well on it, but Dozer blew up with allergy symptoms again. He was licking his paws excessively to the point that his paw was all puffy, soggy and it changed colour, his eye were very goopy, he scratched his chest raw, and his ears were very waxy. He is now developed allergies to 4 proteins, chicken, salmon, beef and lamb. I stopped all supplements, treats, fruits and veggies, and I put him on Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Vegan Kibble for one month to detoxify his system from all proteins, kind of like starting from scratch. Then a week ago I started him on Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Kangaroo Kibble. The idea is to detoxify him of all proteins and then add a protein that he's never had before and one that is not a normal protein such as kangaroo or venison, so that hopefully his immune system won't recognize it and he will tolerate it. So far he's doing really well, he lost a little weight while he was on the vegan diet because he wasn't getting any protein, but he did well on the food change, he had normal poops, no tummy upsets and tolerated and really liked the taste, he licked the bowl clean. He's doing well on the Kangaroo as well, and he's improved so much, no more goopy eyes, his itching and licking has stopped and his paw is back to normal, his hair is growing back on his chest where he scratched it raw. His ears are still a little waxy, but improving as well. I'm going to give this food a month, as it can take that long before seeing an improvement from a food change, and I will also know if he tolerates it or has a reaction. Then I will slowly add one thing at a time back into his diet and for a week before adding a new one, that way I will know which one he is allergic to.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

18. Likes Cali Doll, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Roseann View Post
    Does she get treats at daycare? What about shared water? I know that Henry gets a reaction from cross contaminated water. Everyone in the house has to be chicken and grain free otherwise he gets itchy.
    They give her the occasional dried liver treat, but that's always been the case, since she was weeks old. I did think about that, though. Depending on how this salmon works out, I may talk to them about it. I didn't have any idea about the water, but that's possible. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    hi Cali, I know exactly how you feel, and what you are going through. I just went through this with Bulldozer. My guys were on Fromm's Beef Frittata for two years and then both were showing signs of allergies, so I switched them both to Fromms lamb and Lentil. They were on this food for 9 months and Blossom is still doing well on it, but Dozer blew up with allergy symptoms again. He was licking his paws excessively to the point that his paw was all puffy, soggy and it changed colour, his eye were very goopy, he scratched his chest raw, and his ears were very waxy. He is now developed allergies to 4 proteins, chicken, salmon, beef and lamb. I stopped all supplements, treats, fruits and veggies, and I put him on Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Vegan Kibble for one month to detoxify his system from all proteins, kind of like starting from scratch. Then a week ago I started him on Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Kangaroo Kibble. The idea is to detoxify him of all proteins and then add a protein that he's never had before and one that is not a normal protein such as kangaroo or venison, so that hopefully his immune system won't recognize it and he will tolerate it. So far he's doing really well, he lost a little weight while he was on the vegan diet because he wasn't getting any protein, but he did well on the food change, he had normal poops, no tummy upsets and tolerated and really liked the taste, he licked the bowl clean. He's doing well on the Kangaroo as well, and he's improved so much, no more goopy eyes, his itching and licking has stopped and his paw is back to normal, his hair is growing back on his chest where he scratched it raw. His ears are still a little waxy, but improving as well. I'm going to give this food a month, as it can take that long before seeing an improvement from a food change, and I will also know if he tolerates it or has a reaction. Then I will slowly add one thing at a time back into his diet and for a week before adding a new one, that way I will know which one he is allergic to.
    Whoa! Thank you so much!! Man, I hope she's not allergic to this salmon. I'll give it some time, and if things don't improve, I'm following your lead.

Wow, these bullies!
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}

20. Likes Vikinggirl liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

I would stop giving her everything else, but the new food. No supplements, no treats or anything extra. If she gets better, then the food is good, if not there's something in that food too. Like Monica said, if the symptoms go away you can start adding things one at the time and se if there's an reaction. Hopefully she feels better soon!

22. Likes Vikinggirl, Cali Doll, 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads