Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Bella has been on Fromm Grain-Free Lamb & Lentil since she graduated from Fromm Puppy 6 months ago. For the past 3 weeks to a month, she's been licking her paws super obsessively. Also, her tear stains have gotten really bad.

Occasionally, I'll feed her Canidae biscuits (turkey, quinoa, butternut squash flavor). They are not grain free, but it's super infrequent (like, a half one every week, sometimes nothing for weeks).

Because of all of this, yesterday, I switched her to Fromm Grain-Free Salmon Tunalini. I am hoping it is the lamb that she's allergic to. Is lamb a common allergen for bullies?

I usually add ACV, fish oil, and coconut oil (alternating) to her food. I'm thinking I'm going to stop that, too, in case that's the problem. I just want her better.

Am I on the right track? What else should I do? I can tell she's miserable. Today I noticed a little swollen patch of red skin between her toes, like she had been licking it all day.

Tonight, she started that snorting through the nose thing. I remember reading here to cover the nostrils so that they breath from their mouth. I did that, and she stopped. Is that related to allergies? It really scared me!

As you guys know, she goes to daycare at the vet everyday. Should I have them look her over tomorrow, while she's there...or should I see what happens with the food switch? What if they give her meds, and I never know what the allergy is? Don't food switch change affects take a long time?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Could be food... The L&L was brutal for Banks and Cheli too--- and it did not show up till after the second bag. I went back to Pork snd Peas and within a week all went away

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Ohhhh! Man! I bet that's it! Thank you!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks one eye got so red and they constantly watered... Cheli was licking paws and also constant wayering

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Tyson didn't do well on the lamb either. For now just relief wise give her a low dose Benadryl. But the food change may help!!! Poor baby, Allergies kick our butts here too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I gave her the Benadryl, and she's dozing away. Sweet girl put herself to bed in her crate. :havemyheart:

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
Does she get treats at daycare? What about shared water? I know that Henry gets a reaction from cross contaminated water. Everyone in the house has to be chicken and grain free otherwise he gets itchy.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Lamb is considered a hot meat so if they are sensitive it will show for sure. Harlea is majorly allergic to lamb and will break out in a rash after eating a few pieces.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Bella has been on Fromm Grain-Free Lamb & Lentil since she graduated from Fromm Puppy 6 months ago. For the past 3 weeks to a month, she's been licking her paws super obsessively. Also, her tear stains have gotten really bad.

Occasionally, I'll feed her Canidae biscuits (turkey, quinoa, butternut squash flavor). They are not grain free, but it's super infrequent (like, a half one every week, sometimes nothing for weeks).

Because of all of this, yesterday, I switched her to Fromm Grain-Free Salmon Tunalini. I am hoping it is the lamb that she's allergic to. Is lamb a common allergen for bullies?

I usually add ACV, fish oil, and coconut oil (alternating) to her food. I'm thinking I'm going to stop that, too, in case that's the problem. I just want her better.

Am I on the right track? What else should I do? I can tell she's miserable. Today I noticed a little swollen patch of red skin between her toes, like she had been licking it all day.

Tonight, she started that snorting through the nose thing. I remember reading here to cover the nostrils so that they breath from their mouth. I did that, and she stopped. Is that related to allergies? It really scared me!

As you guys know, she goes to daycare at the vet everyday. Should I have them look her over tomorrow, while she's there...or should I see what happens with the food switch? What if they give her meds, and I never know what the allergy is? Don't food switch change affects take a long time?

hi Cali, I know exactly how you feel, and what you are going through. I just went through this with Bulldozer. My guys were on Fromm's Beef Frittata for two years and then both were showing signs of allergies, so I switched them both to Fromms lamb and Lentil. They were on this food for 9 months and Blossom is still doing well on it, but Dozer blew up with allergy symptoms again. He was licking his paws excessively to the point that his paw was all puffy, soggy and it changed colour, his eye were very goopy, he scratched his chest raw, and his ears were very waxy. He is now developed allergies to 4 proteins, chicken, salmon, beef and lamb. I stopped all supplements, treats, fruits and veggies, and I put him on Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Vegan Kibble for one month to detoxify his system from all proteins, kind of like starting from scratch. Then a week ago I started him on Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Kangaroo Kibble. The idea is to detoxify him of all proteins and then add a protein that he's never had before and one that is not a normal protein such as kangaroo or venison, so that hopefully his immune system won't recognize it and he will tolerate it. So far he's doing really well, he lost a little weight while he was on the vegan diet because he wasn't getting any protein, but he did well on the food change, he had normal poops, no tummy upsets and tolerated and really liked the taste, he licked the bowl clean. He's doing well on the Kangaroo as well, and he's improved so much, no more goopy eyes, his itching and licking has stopped and his paw is back to normal, his hair is growing back on his chest where he scratched it raw. His ears are still a little waxy, but improving as well. I'm going to give this food a month, as it can take that long before seeing an improvement from a food change, and I will also know if he tolerates it or has a reaction. Then I will slowly add one thing at a time back into his diet and for a week before adding a new one, that way I will know which one he is allergic to.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Does she get treats at daycare? What about shared water? I know that Henry gets a reaction from cross contaminated water. Everyone in the house has to be chicken and grain free otherwise he gets itchy.

They give her the occasional dried liver treat, but that's always been the case, since she was weeks old. I did think about that, though. Depending on how this salmon works out, I may talk to them about it. I didn't have any idea about the water, but that's possible. Thank you!

hi Cali, I know exactly how you feel, and what you are going through. I just went through this with Bulldozer. My guys were on Fromm's Beef Frittata for two years and then both were showing signs of allergies, so I switched them both to Fromms lamb and Lentil. They were on this food for 9 months and Blossom is still doing well on it, but Dozer blew up with allergy symptoms again. He was licking his paws excessively to the point that his paw was all puffy, soggy and it changed colour, his eye were very goopy, he scratched his chest raw, and his ears were very waxy. He is now developed allergies to 4 proteins, chicken, salmon, beef and lamb. I stopped all supplements, treats, fruits and veggies, and I put him on Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Vegan Kibble for one month to detoxify his system from all proteins, kind of like starting from scratch. Then a week ago I started him on Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Kangaroo Kibble. The idea is to detoxify him of all proteins and then add a protein that he's never had before and one that is not a normal protein such as kangaroo or venison, so that hopefully his immune system won't recognize it and he will tolerate it. So far he's doing really well, he lost a little weight while he was on the vegan diet because he wasn't getting any protein, but he did well on the food change, he had normal poops, no tummy upsets and tolerated and really liked the taste, he licked the bowl clean. He's doing well on the Kangaroo as well, and he's improved so much, no more goopy eyes, his itching and licking has stopped and his paw is back to normal, his hair is growing back on his chest where he scratched it raw. His ears are still a little waxy, but improving as well. I'm going to give this food a month, as it can take that long before seeing an improvement from a food change, and I will also know if he tolerates it or has a reaction. Then I will slowly add one thing at a time back into his diet and for a week before adding a new one, that way I will know which one he is allergic to.

Whoa! Thank you so much!! Man, I hope she's not allergic to this salmon. I'll give it some time, and if things don't improve, I'm following your lead.

Wow, these bullies! :p

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I would stop giving her everything else, but the new food. No supplements, no treats or anything extra. If she gets better, then the food is good, if not there's something in that food too. Like Monica said, if the symptoms go away you can start adding things one at the time and se if there's an reaction. Hopefully she feels better soon!

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I only mention the water because I discovered it by accident. When I was looking for a food that Henry could tolerate both boys ate the same thing during the trial. After I found what he could eat I gave Henry the safe food and Rootbeer the others because he can eat anything. Henry started getting an allergic reaction again so I toyed with the food until I realized it was cross contamination through the water. I was amazed that he could get a reaction that way because his symptoms weren't that severe with the food. However, I changed him as soon as they would appear. One thing I did think of was that it could be the mouth licking that they do. My guys all lick each other like mad. I don't have to clean Rootbeers mouth after he drinks anymore because Clyde usually licks it clean after he drinks. It's quite comical. Anyway, just a thought. One other thing I did was only buy the cats food in salmon, no chicken. On occasion he finds their empty bowl outside and has a lick. That's made a difference too. The 2 cats are only outside kitties and I thought it was a bit overboard, but what the heck. Turns out it has helped too. Also, it's worth mentioning that I am a freak about the dogs so I'm overly aware of every single thing they do. I had gotten a sample of another food that is all beef, I gave Henry about 15 pieces of kibble for treats on our walk about a week ago. He's been a rashed up mess since. It takes very little for him to break out. Hope that helps, or at least gives you an idea of how sensitive they can be.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
After 3 days, her tear stains are improving, and she is not as obsessed with licking her toes. I cant believe I was feeding her that allergen for all those months!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.