Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Bulldog Stare...

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Charlie
    Likes (Received)

Default The Bulldog Stare...

Since this is our first EB, I have a question regarding the famed "bulldog stare".

Does anyone here have a bully that will stop and stare at any other dog while on a walk? Charlie, now at 5 months, will stop and watch as another dog will approach from the front, behind, across the street, etc..and I'm not sure if he's just curious or he's got a bit of a dominance thing going. I just try to keep him moving along or nothing will get accomplished.

He dosent bark like the other dogs in the hood, doesn't try to chase but will just sit and stare. As he's becoming older, Im not sure that the nose down stare won't get him into a scap. He literally won't move if another dog is close as if he's waiting for the other dog to make the first move, he's stone cold icy that way but no issues with aggression to date.

Any way, any help would be appreciated.

-img_0526-jpg

2. Likes dolphin, harveyspecter, Texas Carol liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The Bulldog Stare...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Melton View Post
    Since this is our first EB, I have a question regarding the famed "bulldog stare".

Does anyone here have a bully that will stop and stare at any other dog while on a walk? Charlie, now at 5 months, will stop and watch as another dog will approach from the front, behind, across the street, etc..and I'm not sure if he's just curious or he's got a bit of a dominance thing going. I just try to keep him moving along or nothing will get accomplished.

He dosent bark like the other dogs in the hood, doesn't try to chase but will just sit and stare. As he's becoming older, Im not sure that the nose down stare won't get him into a scap. He literally won't move if another dog is close as if he's waiting for the other dog to make the first move, he's stone cold icy that way but no issues with aggression to date.

Any way, any help would be appreciated.

-img_0526-jpg
    Wellie is like that and I think it's a stare down, not curiosity.
    I distract him by making him do commands and giving him treats. It makes me uncomfortable. Especially since in recent months (once he was got closer to turning two years old) he went from staring, to going after certain dogs.

4. Likes TyTysmom, 2BullyMama liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

I think its common for the breed, Tyson does this too. He doesn't bark, or act up, or try to go after the other dog, or person, whatever it is. He will just stare them down. LOL Its funny because while its happening there's no moving him. He's solid, so I either have to get behind him, and nudge him in hopes that he moves, or just wait until the distraction is gone, then he'll start walking again. Sigh. Bulldog Stubbornness to the max.

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

Rescue Volunteer dieMuttivonBifi's Avatar
    Country
    from the Philippines but residing in Germany
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bifi (beef-ii)
    Likes (Received)

yup mine is like that too. He will stay there 'till the other dog goes to him or passes by. I too think it's a bulldog thing.

7. Likes TyTysmom liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Charlie
    Likes (Received)

Thanks all, appreciate it...these "high noon" showdowns were leaving me a bit anxious but its reassuring to bounce the question off others.

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

It's a bulldog thang, I think it's built into them and I think that other breeds get really weird-ed out by it. That pic of him is adorable, my gosh what a face and what a look!!!

10. Likes Texas Carol, Manydogs liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

Brian @Brian Melton, I think this is a bulldog thing. I have read that Bulldogs rely more on their eyes than other dogs because their smooshed noses don't smell as well as other dogs. The trouble comes when other dogs misinterpret the stare, because staring is very bad manners in "dog!" So sometimes other dogs don't like bullies. You may have some scrapes in the future, but you know to be on the lookout. Charlie is adorable!

12. Likes 2BullyMama, Texas Carol, Manydogs liked this post
    Harvey's Executive Assistant Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

yup. This is funny. Whenever Harvey see's peeps on the street, he will stare them out not in a threathening kind of way but wondering when that person will come and stroke me on my head. When is he/she going to pet me.

One guy asked me, he has been looking at me, he does not want to hurt me does he? And I say, no he wants you to acknowledge his presence and give him some serious petting.
    Hug your bully today

14. Likes TyTysmom, Texas Carol, Manydogs liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

What is more important is the body stance ... Banks did this and we had to learn the difference -- some are just curiosity, while others, at least with her were out right challenge and depending on the other dog is how it went down.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

16. Likes Texas Carol, Manydogs liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Charlie
    Likes (Received)

Funny that you mentioned the guy asking you about the stare...I was in Rochester, NY with the puppy walking through the lobby of a hotel when a father and son stopped me and mentioned that the puppy gave them the "up/down" and they were somewhat concerned about the look Charlie gave them. I told them it wasn't personal it was just that Charles Bronson death wish thing and of course Charlie went into the "lick everything" mode and they got to visit with the pup and all was well.

18. Likes 2BullyMama, harveyspecter liked this post
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    What is more important is the body stance ... Banks did this and we had to learn the difference -- some are just curiosity, while others, at least with her were out right challenge and depending on the other dog is how it went down.
    Christine is dead on this, the stare can mean different things at different times and
    it is influenced by the other dog's response. You have to know your dog and if there
    are other signs that your dog is dominate you must immediately start to train absolute
    obedience to commands and be alert to their signs of challenge for immediate stop to it.
    And some mean nothing at all because it is a bulldog thang for sure and it's hard to read
    bulldogs faces.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

20. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

What a handsome bully and such a great face!
    I love Charlie <3

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads