The Bulldog Stare...

Brian Melton

Aug 8, 2015
Bucks County, Pa.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
Since this is our first EB, I have a question regarding the famed "bulldog stare".

Does anyone here have a bully that will stop and stare at any other dog while on a walk? Charlie, now at 5 months, will stop and watch as another dog will approach from the front, behind, across the street, etc..and I'm not sure if he's just curious or he's got a bit of a dominance thing going. I just try to keep him moving along or nothing will get accomplished.

He dosent bark like the other dogs in the hood, doesn't try to chase but will just sit and stare. As he's becoming older, Im not sure that the nose down stare won't get him into a scap. He literally won't move if another dog is close as if he's waiting for the other dog to make the first move, he's stone cold icy that way but no issues with aggression to date.

Any way, any help would be appreciated.

IMG_0526.JPG

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Since this is our first EB, I have a question regarding the famed "bulldog stare".

Does anyone here have a bully that will stop and stare at any other dog while on a walk? Charlie, now at 5 months, will stop and watch as another dog will approach from the front, behind, across the street, etc..and I'm not sure if he's just curious or he's got a bit of a dominance thing going. I just try to keep him moving along or nothing will get accomplished.

He dosent bark like the other dogs in the hood, doesn't try to chase but will just sit and stare. As he's becoming older, Im not sure that the nose down stare won't get him into a scap. He literally won't move if another dog is close as if he's waiting for the other dog to make the first move, he's stone cold icy that way but no issues with aggression to date.

Any way, any help would be appreciated.

View attachment 91714

Wellie is like that and I think it's a stare down, not curiosity.
I distract him by making him do commands and giving him treats. It makes me uncomfortable. Especially since in recent months (once he was got closer to turning two years old) he went from staring, to going after certain dogs.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I think its common for the breed, Tyson does this too. He doesn't bark, or act up, or try to go after the other dog, or person, whatever it is. He will just stare them down. LOL Its funny because while its happening there's no moving him. He's solid, so I either have to get behind him, and nudge him in hopes that he moves, or just wait until the distraction is gone, then he'll start walking again. Sigh. Bulldog Stubbornness to the max.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
yup mine is like that too. He will stay there 'till the other dog goes to him or passes by. I too think it's a bulldog thing.

OP
Brian Melton

Brian Melton

Aug 8, 2015
Bucks County, Pa.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
Thanks all, appreciate it...these "high noon" showdowns were leaving me a bit anxious but its reassuring to bounce the question off others.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It's a bulldog thang, I think it's built into them and I think that other breeds get really weird-ed out by it. That pic of him is adorable, my gosh what a face and what a look!!!

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Brian [MENTION=14656]Brian Melton[/MENTION], I think this is a bulldog thing. I have read that Bulldogs rely more on their eyes than other dogs because their smooshed noses don't smell as well as other dogs. The trouble comes when other dogs misinterpret the stare, because staring is very bad manners in "dog!" So sometimes other dogs don't like bullies. You may have some scrapes in the future, but you know to be on the lookout. Charlie is adorable!

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
yup. This is funny. Whenever Harvey see's peeps on the street, he will stare them out not in a threathening kind of way but wondering when that person will come and stroke me on my head. When is he/she going to pet me.

One guy asked me, he has been looking at me, he does not want to hurt me does he? And I say, no he wants you to acknowledge his presence and give him some serious petting.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What is more important is the body stance ... Banks did this and we had to learn the difference -- some are just curiosity, while others, at least with her were out right challenge and depending on the other dog is how it went down.

OP
Brian Melton

Brian Melton

Aug 8, 2015
Bucks County, Pa.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
Funny that you mentioned the guy asking you about the stare...I was in Rochester, NY with the puppy walking through the lobby of a hotel when a father and son stopped me and mentioned that the puppy gave them the "up/down" and they were somewhat concerned about the look Charlie gave them. I told them it wasn't personal it was just that Charles Bronson death wish thing and of course Charlie went into the "lick everything" mode and they got to visit with the pup and all was well.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
What is more important is the body stance ... Banks did this and we had to learn the difference -- some are just curiosity, while others, at least with her were out right challenge and depending on the other dog is how it went down.

Christine is dead on this, the stare can mean different things at different times and
it is influenced by the other dog's response. You have to know your dog and if there
are other signs that your dog is dominate you must immediately start to train absolute
obedience to commands and be alert to their signs of challenge for immediate stop to it.
And some mean nothing at all because it is a bulldog thang for sure and it's hard to read
bulldogs faces.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
What a handsome bully and such a great face!
I love Charlie <3

Jackieshoes

Sep 30, 2012
Mississippi
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
OMG he is precious!!

Dexter doesn't state other dogs down but he's rather submissive.

He does, however, stare down the wall, back of the couch, vacuum, etc

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.