Pig ears???

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Hudson Nash & Milton Virgil
I have bought Murphy pig ears and he absolutely loves them
He just got out of surgery two days ago so the hubby went and got him a few as a treat
Are they good for him? I mean I'm not giving them to him as a meal but as a treat, he just gnawes on them like crazy until there is nothing left
Just checking to see if they are okay image.jpeg

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Pig ears, rawhides and such are not really good to give to any dog as they are huge choking hazards. Whole antlers, Kong's and nylabones are best for the voracious chewers that bullies are. Most give various fruits and veggies for treats and such. Myself included.

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
not only can they choke but raw hides will not always digest.. our breeders/vet techs have told us many stories of having to do surgery on dogs stomachs to remove raw hides due to them not digesting properly and causing problems not just bulldogs, any dog.. i feel bad for not letting my dogs have them but i did find a rawhide free dog chew that they love..in fact there are several different kinds.. No rawhides please.

KatieToth

Julius-K9 Sales Representative
Jun 7, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Noah Jack
I have heard a lot of good and some bad stuff about that. Do you think it is bad for their "fast weight gaining" ?

linda4568

Aug 7, 2010
Eagle River, Ak
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, Biggy, Pickles, Deebo, Hoss
Stay away from them... I've had to pull them from my bully's throat . They choke on them when they get small cause they gulp them down.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I'd stay away from them too. They are choking & obstruction prone. Go with a large antler instead. Always make sure it's big so they don't try to swallow whole. I usually buy one twice the size of his mouth or bigger, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalky

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I've pulled one from my Usko's throat just in time. His tongue had allready turned turned blue and he peed himself. That never leaves my mind. Get him something much bigger that he cant choke on.

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
I would switch to carrots, a Himalayan chew, marrow bone or antler not only are the pigs ears a chewing hazard i find they get all gummy and have a distinct smell.
Hope any of this helps
:yes:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with the gang.... Stay away from them

Utley

Jul 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Utley and Bella
Same here, before we new they were bad we use to get pig ears a lot. Too many issues. I would not risk it now that we know. I know it is hard because they like them soooooo much.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
You want to stay away from any form of RAWHIDE including ears , your dog will get them soft and try to swallow them and choke if your not there at the time it could be a terrible result , I way back did not know this and luckily was there and had to pull it out of the throat, was not a fun time scared the hell out of Me , sorry to be bluntish here but not something you want to give a bulldog !

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Agree with the replies above - stay away from them - we too have had to pull a half-chewed slippery pig ear out of Castor's throat and that was a scary experience.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
My vet recommended them FTSE so I bought them and FTSE loved them until he started choking on it and I had to literally pull it out of his throat I have never bought them or anything like them again and told the vet

OP
Kimberlie

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Hudson Nash & Milton Virgil
Husband and I clearly had the worst blonde moment thinking pig ears were okay.. And not rawhide
I've done everything else right but whew that would have been a close call

We definitely get him things that are a lot bigger than his mouth. His mouth is huge!!! It is quite amazing haha

So we are going to go to the butcher and get the narrow bones :D
Which gives me an excuse to get lamb.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.