Looking for the rant forum again!

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I am so upset. I hated people. That's all there is to it. So, here's my rant! My neighbors and their dog. All summer they're been complaining that their dog has fleas and asking if mine do. The answer is the same every damn time. No, my dogs don't have fleas. I treat them BEFORE there is a problem. I use the flea tick chewy tab, nexguard. They don't have any control over their dog and they can't keep him in their yard and he comes to mine. They have to drag him home every time because he doesn't come when called, ever. On my leisure Sunday, the only day I have with my husband, I am giving baths because I found a couple fleas on Henry. I'm not sure how, because they had the flea chew less than 3 weeks ago, but they have fleas. Henry had about a dozen. Macon had a couple. I couldn't find any on Clyde and I haven't mustered the energy to bathe Rootbeer yet. I've always thought the dawn dish soap for fleas thing was bs, but I used it today. Lol I still don't know if it works but I didn't know what else to do. I've never had a dog with fleas. They're bad around here and I've always taken preventative measures instead of figuring out what to do once the problem is there. I also mixed up some vinegar, water, lemon ,lemongrass, citronella, and Rosemary oils. I sprayed that on them after their baths. I'm washing all their bedding too. It just irritates the ever lovin crap out of me. I hate fleas. They're horrible to get rid of once you have them. I'm assuming that I will have to bathe them in a week or two incase there is any eggs to be hatched. Anyone know if that's right? Thanks for listening to another of my rants!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
So sorry to hear this and what rude neighbours who don't take care of their dog. I was thinking of one thing concerning the flea chew, though; Castor has a tick prevention that I think works not as a repellent but by killing off any ticks or fleas that land on him. Can it perhaps be the same with your dogs' chew, i.e. that it would have killed the fleas within a couple of hours or so? That might explain why your dogs got fleas although they had taken their meds. Castor got hedgehog fleas a few weeks ago (which would not have stayed on him anyway as they apparently don't like dogs) so I now know how absolutely awful it is to see fleas on your dog's coat.

Good luck with getting rid of them!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I've never had a flea issue w/my dogs, but onetime my cats got fleas at my parents house. It was HORRIBLE… you have to treat the pet several times (baths or dips) and THEN you have to treat your home. We had to bomb the house several times because they lay eggs and then when they hatch you have kill the hatchlings. It seems to take forever… so frustrating!!! Ugh… Good luck :fie:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:cursing::cursing::angry::angry: i would be pitching a fit for sure! Hopefully the dawn works and the spray to keep them away

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=10908]Roseann[/MENTION] Dawn dish soap will kill any fleas on a dog when you bathe them.It will not keep fleas off. Nexguard kills fleas before they can lay eggs, so that they can not infest. If your neighbor's fleabag comes into your yard, get some diatomeceous earth-food grade, and sprinkle it around in your yard. It will kill fleas by drying up the natural protective oils on their
"shell" and they will dry up. The food grade is safe, even if your dogs eat it.

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I looked on the package and apparently it's supposed to kill them within 24 hours. I've used this all year and haven't seen a single flea. I will have to go back to letting my boys out briefly to potty and bring them back in. It just bugs the crap out of me that their dog has had fleas all year. Maybe I'm just a freak about it because I have somewhat of a bug fobia. Thanks for the suggestions. I've wanted to try the Damascus earth, now I have an excuse. :)

WifeofPA

May 26, 2014
Spokane WA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shelby, Victorian Bully and Conan, EB
Since fleas are in the same genus as lice - try mixing tea tree oil and sprit zing the dogs down after bathing or as a freshen up. Even spray down the bedding, carpets, couches etc..... Anything fabric. It is a natural repellent -- we shake a 1oz bottle of tea tree oil into each new bottle of shampoo during the school year and NEVER have issues with head lice. Just a thought! ������

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
With five dogs I could not imagine I use revolution on them all not seen a flea in 5 years up here , the only one who does not get any flea treatment is old Diva at 11 she is at the stage of she only wants to go out to do business and come right back in to sleep again . Think I would say something or mail a brochure to the people next door on how to treat flea,s

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
With five dogs I could not imagine I use revolution on them all not seen a flea in 5 years up here , the only one who does not get any flea treatment is old Diva at 11 she is at the stage of she only wants to go out to do business and come right back in to sleep again . Think I would say something or mail a brochure to the people next door on how to treat flea,s

We also use Revolution, and our guys have never had a flea.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
We also use Revolution, and our guys have never had a flea.

I always worry about this type of stuff dumping it on My guys after all it is a insecticide that is absorbed which ever way outside or inside , but it has to be done fleas are one thing but up here TICKS are another they scare Me more so I use it , so far no ill effects that I know of to My guys , used it for years .

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I always worry about this type of stuff dumping it on My guys after all it is a insecticide that is absorbed which ever way outside or inside , but it has to be done fleas are one thing but up here TICKS are another they scare Me more so I use it , so far no ill effects that I know of to My guys , used it for years .

We haven't had any ill effects from it either, and I like the product because you only use it from April to October, it's easy to use once a month, and it covers them for fleas, ticks, heart worm, and mange. Also it's not too expensive at $65, which works out to be $10 a month for the treatment.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
We haven't had any ill effects from it either, and I like the product because you only use it from April to October, it's easy to use once a month, and it covers them for fleas, ticks, heart worm, and mange. Also it's not too expensive at $65, which works out to be $10 a month for the treatment.

So true a factor for us is 5 dogs it adds up , actually this post reminded Me to look at the calendar and Odin is due for his today lol

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I would be flipping mad with the neighbour and would let them know, I have never had a flea problem with any of my dogs with my pugs we had Rosemary bushes which they say keeps fleas at bay not sure if it's true or not but we had none and FTSE has never had any thankfully

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That's crazy! I've been spending so so much more than that! Something around $25 a month per dog. I have 4 to take care of and the flea/tick and heart worm meds are adding up quite quickly! I may have to switch if everyone is happy with it. I'll do some reading on it and see what I come up with.
If it was just a new problem I wouldn't be upset but it's been going on since late spring. The way I figure it, I'm as lazy as it gets and if I can keep fleas off my dogs anyone should be able to! Haha [MENTION=4573]Ftse 100[/MENTION] I love the Rosemary bush idea!! I put Rosemary oil in the spritzer I made. I really hope it helps.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
If your dogs are in the flea pill, you should not worry that much since their blood is laced with medication which will eventually kill the fleas that get in the fur.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.