Should I say something to my neighbor about how he corrects his bully?

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
I would absolutely say something! I wouldn't even give it a second thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. I would try to ease into your experience, and maybe even embellish your story. Ie. " I used to have that problem with ruckus, here is what really worked for me..." Nothing wrong with a white lie if you can use it for good :)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. I would try to ease into your experience, and maybe even embellish your story. Ie. " I used to have that problem with ruckus, here is what really worked for me..." Nothing wrong with a white lie if you can use it for good :)

:goodpost: Absolutely agree… I think this is the best way to handle it.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
I agree also. That poor baby hit that way, no dog deserves to be hit in any way. That guy could damage this Baby's hip or his kidneys, or cause broken bones.

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Have you thought about leaving literature on how best to handle the situation in his mailbox
If he is unresponsive to what you have to say no loss to lose him however it does not help the innocent bully or suggest he look up this site obviously he needs advice on how to treat bullies or anything

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
what will it take a video recording in an elevator to get him to wake up... seriously.. no difference then the guy that got caught mistreating dog in that video.. makes my blood boil... if i seen someone hitting a dog or cat i swear i know i would walk over and hit them and yeah probably get arrested but if it stops one dog from getting hit its worth it.. karma will get him.. :bitching:

OP
g8erjackie

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
So I ran into the guy twice this past weekend and the second time the incident almost happened again, but I intercepted.

Keith and I were walking Ruckus and Regina and of course I had my post-yoga iced coffee (Starbucks profits astronomically from being located directly between my gym and my home) and we see neighbor guy and his bulldog, Harlan. Ruckus and Regina love ice cubes and they know they might get a couple when I'm done with most beverages so they were playing with Harlan but heard the rattle of ice cubes in my empty cup and came to my feet. Harlan, being no dummy, decided he also wanted some of whatever I had, so he sort of body checked Regina out of the way (she was totally fine and got right back up to join the pack, feisty little thing she is) and jumped up doing his begging growl. I saw neighbor guy react and reach for Harlan so I stood in between them and made all the dogs sit before pulling some treats out of my pocket. I wouldn't let Harlan have a treat until he stopped whining since Ruckus was being quiet he followed suit. I put on my big girl pants and said to my neighbor, something along the lines of, "Ya know, I think you might be mistaking begging and playing for aggressive growling. These guys are so food motivated that I think if you carried treats with you, Harlan would respond to your commands quicker. They have a reputation for being stubborn, but love to learn and if you teach him things like paw, wait, lay down, etc, and bond with him that way, when he isn't behaving the way you'd like he'll be more likely to listen. Whenever Ruckus is really misbehaving I make him sit and we run through a few tricks and it calms him down." He then tried to say well I just don't want him growling at all...and I said that hitting the dog will just damage him emotionally and make him not want to be around you, fear isn't a very good motivator, that in fact hitting him and making him fearful could cause aggression later. He said they needed to go back inside. I could tell he was simmering on what I said and was embarrassed that I called him out. We'll see if he just avoids me now, but I'm going to bring over some treats and find some information on training techniques.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
So I ran into the guy twice this past weekend and the second time the incident almost happened again, but I intercepted.

Keith and I were walking Ruckus and Regina and of course I had my post-yoga iced coffee (Starbucks profits astronomically from being located directly between my gym and my home) and we see neighbor guy and his bulldog, Harlan. Ruckus and Regina love ice cubes and they know they might get a couple when I'm done with most beverages so they were playing with Harlan but heard the rattle of ice cubes in my empty cup and came to my feet. Harlan, being no dummy, decided he also wanted some of whatever I had, so he sort of body checked Regina out of the way (she was totally fine and got right back up to join the pack, feisty little thing she is) and jumped up doing his begging growl. I saw neighbor guy react and reach for Harlan so I stood in between them and made all the dogs sit before pulling some treats out of my pocket. I wouldn't let Harlan have a treat until he stopped whining since Ruckus was being quiet he followed suit. I put on my big girl pants and said to my neighbor, something along the lines of, "Ya know, I think you might be mistaking begging and playing for aggressive growling. These guys are so food motivated that I think if you carried treats with you, Harlan would respond to your commands quicker. They have a reputation for being stubborn, but love to learn and if you teach him things like paw, wait, lay down, etc, and bond with him that way, when he isn't behaving the way you'd like he'll be more likely to listen. Whenever Ruckus is really misbehaving I make him sit and we run through a few tricks and it calms him down." He then tried to say well I just don't want him growling at all...and I said that hitting the dog will just damage him emotionally and make him not want to be around you, fear isn't a very good motivator, that in fact hitting him and making him fearful could cause aggression later. He said they needed to go back inside. I could tell he was simmering on what I said and was embarrassed that I called him out. We'll see if he just avoids me now, but I'm going to bring over some treats and find some information on training techniques.

:thumb3::2thumbs::yes::clap2::salute::cool2:

Kudos. Well done young lady.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
nice job, you couldn't have scripted that any better! Wow :goodjob:

OP
g8erjackie

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
nice job, you couldn't have scripted that any better! Wow :goodjob:

I totally had gone over it in my head a few times so I wouldn't clam up and get tongue tied....I was like ok what to say so you sound like you know a thing or two.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Good for you! If you never said anything you would have regretted it, you very politely educated him with technique and a gentle/firm way of action!! Well done!! Let's hope he learned his lesson and backs off from using physical tactics. What a bully (and not the good kind)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.