Should I say something to my neighbor about how he corrects his bully?

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
So I'm normally outspoken as heck, but this situation has got me a little tongue tied. The first time it happened I was more shocked than anything and then last night I was just sad and came home with tears in my eyes. My neighbor hits his dog pretty hard to correct him sometimes and I absolutely hate it.

One of my neighbors that moved in a maybe 3 months back has a bulldog that's about the same age and size as Ruckus. He is always a super sweet dog. He has always played nice with Ruckus and Regina and always backs his butt up to me for some scratches. We see this guy (and sometimes his girlfriend) and his dog multiple times per week, but I've only seen the correction/smacking twice. My boyfriend says he has never seen it.

One night I was walking Regina before bed and we ran into the guy and his bully. His dog and Regina were playing and at one point he made what I thought was a play growl, but I pulled Regina back to let them calm down. My neighbor smacked his dog on the rump hard, you could hear it, then picked him up by his harness and neck skin and yelled no in his face. The dog looked so helpless when he was back on the ground....

Last night I was taking Ruckus for a solo walk and I ran into this guy and his bully again. Ruckus loves his bully so we walked around the block together so the boys could do their business and socialize. When we were passing the entrance to my neighbor's apartment Ruckus pulled to go inside -- he has other doggy friends who live there and he liked going inside. I said "no Ruckus let's go home, come for treats." I feel like it was partially my fault because I said the T word so my neighbor's dog started pulling toward me and made a begging sort of growl. I wasn't worried and would have made both him and Ruckus sit calmly for treats.... But my neighbor picks him up again and hit him so hard on his back it was such a loud smack and then literally dropped him inside the front door....he said sorry that his dog growled and I said it wasn't a problem and that I didn't even realize he was growling...I just thought he wanted a treat....Ruckus looked worried because his bully friend was cowering inside. I just wanted to hug that poor dog...

I was just so shocked because my neighbor is so nice and his dog looks so well cared for and I just don't know to approach the subject....he sort of explained it to me that he wants kids one days and doesn't want his dog to growl and I get that...but there are other ways...

Would you try to say something? Anyone else have a similar situation? How did you approach it?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Oh hell no. I sure would have said something. What a jerk, and poor baby. Maybe just offer a better suggestion, like a firm NO, bc hitting a dog is what causes them to have emotional problems. That's so sad.

Or, let me know, I'll book a flight and you & I can devise a plan to kidnap him, and take him from that douche. Yep, I like that plan better.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I would definitely say something, maybe that's the way he grew up smacking dogs and being mean to them but like Jessica said we know that hitting dogs and just being cruel like that just causes problems not to mention the pain the other dog feels. It's so sad how you said Ruckus was just looking at his friend sulking like that.

I would say to him, you know there are other ways to get your dog to not growl and if he seems receptive then I'd tell him how positive reinforcement helps a lot and explain it to him. If he isn't so cool about it I would just avoid him or maybe have your boyfriend say something to him. That sucks and I know how you feel. I've never witnessed anyone be mean to a bulldog but I've seen people smack their kids around and have spoken up about it to them.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:(. Just can't imagine hitting any dog --- i would do as Jessica suggested and give him alternative training options

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Oh gosh. I saw my neighbor grab and flip his GSD down onto the cement. I know he's doing it as a training tool (submission), but it did seem harsh. I didn't say anything, so I understand your hesitation. It's such a sensitive thing...

I like the idea of offering alternative training tools. That doesn't seem so accusatory. Of course, I also like Jessica's idea...

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Oh gosh. I saw my neighbor grab and flip his GSD down onto the cement. I know he's doing it as a training tool (submission), but it did seem harsh. I didn't say anything, so I understand your hesitation. It's such a sensitive thing...

I like the idea of offering alternative training tools. That doesn't seem so accusatory. Of course, I also like Jessica's idea...

You can be our getaway driver!

OP
g8erjackie

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina

We can be the bully relocation unit!!!

I'm going to try to talk to him about it. I hope he listens. I wonder if he's had some behavior issues in the past and he thinks this works because it sort of stuns the dog some stops for the moment.

Ugh. Maybe I'll smuggle him to Florida with me.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would have to say something too. They don't understand that you loose all respect from them when you beat them. He needs to be told about other training methods, even though he may not listen. Poor bully.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
So I'm normally outspoken as heck, but this situation has got me a little tongue tied. The first time it happened I was more shocked than anything and then last night I was just sad and came home with tears in my eyes. My neighbor hits his dog pretty hard to correct him sometimes and I absolutely hate it.

One of my neighbors that moved in a maybe 3 months back has a bulldog that's about the same age and size as Ruckus. He is always a super sweet dog. He has always played nice with Ruckus and Regina and always backs his butt up to me for some scratches. We see this guy (and sometimes his girlfriend) and his dog multiple times per week, but I've only seen the correction/smacking twice. My boyfriend says he has never seen it.

One night I was walking Regina before bed and we ran into the guy and his bully. His dog and Regina were playing and at one point he made what I thought was a play growl, but I pulled Regina back to let them calm down. My neighbor smacked his dog on the rump hard, you could hear it, then picked him up by his harness and neck skin and yelled no in his face. The dog looked so helpless when he was back on the ground....

Last night I was taking Ruckus for a solo walk and I ran into this guy and his bully again. Ruckus loves his bully so we walked around the block together so the boys could do their business and socialize. When we were passing the entrance to my neighbor's apartment Ruckus pulled to go inside -- he has other doggy friends who live there and he liked going inside. I said "no Ruckus let's go home, come for treats." I feel like it was partially my fault because I said the T word so my neighbor's dog started pulling toward me and made a begging sort of growl. I wasn't worried and would have made both him and Ruckus sit calmly for treats.... But my neighbor picks him up again and hit him so hard on his back it was such a loud smack and then literally dropped him inside the front door....he said sorry that his dog growled and I said it wasn't a problem and that I didn't even realize he was growling...I just thought he wanted a treat....Ruckus looked worried because his bully friend was cowering inside. I just wanted to hug that poor dog...

I was just so shocked because my neighbor is so nice and his dog looks so well cared for and I just don't know to approach the subject....he sort of explained it to me that he wants kids one days and doesn't want his dog to growl and I get that...but there are other ways...

Would you try to say something? Anyone else have a similar situation? How did you approach it?

ok, hitting a dog is one of my soft spot. I am flying to DC so I can meet and talk to this guy. Let me know when you are available.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
....I was just so shocked because my neighbor is so nice and his dog looks so well cared for and I just don't know to approach the subject....he sort of explained it to me that he wants kids one days and doesn't want his dog to growl and I get that...but there are other ways...

Tricky situation, but try to talk to him and say you are concerned about the way he corrects his dog. Coming down that hard on a dog seems to be a bad way of preparing for kids...

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Ugh...I'm hoping if you find a right moment and can say look, do you know
bulldogs are very sensitive and with them, hitting does not work well...what
does is positive reinforcement. Your dog does not come off in any way, out
of line so maybe YOU are reading his play growls & bully ways as aggression
and YOU are wrong, not him. Hopefully, he will be receptive, stop hitting and
see for himself. Your description of what you witnessed makes me sick & sad.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,

I think I would have said something along the lines of if you continue to hit your dog that way you will cause a hip issue or rear leg problems , explain how bulldogs can have a stubborn streak but there is no reason ever to train any dog that way , also mention if he needs to learn and or ask questions he should join up at EBN and we can all teach him how to be a responsible Bully owner . If the son of a B does not like that call the local SPCA or whatever and let him have them up his arse for being a idiot !

OP
g8erjackie

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I was on the lookout for them today when I took the dogs for a walk. I'm going to try and ease into the conversation, but I'm definitely going to say something. I don't want it to happen again at all but I'm hoping my boyfriend will be there if it does and he can say something also.... I feel so stupid for not saying anything before. I was just so shocked. It totally soured my view on him.

Utley

Jul 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Utley and Bella
Don't feel bad that you did not just ultimately react the at first. Sometimes it is better to think it through. It is a sticky situation and you only want to help. What if you tried this approach. Find a local training class or socialization group and tell him that you wanted to take you bully and thought it would be fun if his dog went too. Whatever happens best of luck and hope everything goes smoothly.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.