Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I say something to my neighbor about how he corrects his bully?

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member natski282's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nat
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Primrose= Rosie and Megan = Meg,
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Should I say something to my neighbor about how he corrects his bully?

Quote Originally Posted by g8erjackie View Post
    So I'm normally outspoken as heck, but this situation has got me a little tongue tied. The first time it happened I was more shocked than anything and then last night I was just sad and came home with tears in my eyes. My neighbor hits his dog pretty hard to correct him sometimes and I absolutely hate it.

One of my neighbors that moved in a maybe 3 months back has a bulldog that's about the same age and size as Ruckus. He is always a super sweet dog. He has always played nice with Ruckus and Regina and always backs his butt up to me for some scratches. We see this guy (and sometimes his girlfriend) and his dog multiple times per week, but I've only seen the correction/smacking twice. My boyfriend says he has never seen it.

One night I was walking Regina before bed and we ran into the guy and his bully. His dog and Regina were playing and at one point he made what I thought was a play growl, but I pulled Regina back to let them calm down. My neighbor smacked his dog on the rump hard, you could hear it, then picked him up by his harness and neck skin and yelled no in his face. The dog looked so helpless when he was back on the ground....

Last night I was taking Ruckus for a solo walk and I ran into this guy and his bully again. Ruckus loves his bully so we walked around the block together so the boys could do their business and socialize. When we were passing the entrance to my neighbor's apartment Ruckus pulled to go inside -- he has other doggy friends who live there and he liked going inside. I said "no Ruckus let's go home, come for treats." I feel like it was partially my fault because I said the T word so my neighbor's dog started pulling toward me and made a begging sort of growl. I wasn't worried and would have made both him and Ruckus sit calmly for treats.... But my neighbor picks him up again and hit him so hard on his back it was such a loud smack and then literally dropped him inside the front door....he said sorry that his dog growled and I said it wasn't a problem and that I didn't even realize he was growling...I just thought he wanted a treat....Ruckus looked worried because his bully friend was cowering inside. I just wanted to hug that poor dog...

I was just so shocked because my neighbor is so nice and his dog looks so well cared for and I just don't know to approach the subject....he sort of explained it to me that he wants kids one days and doesn't want his dog to growl and I get that...but there are other ways...

Would you try to say something? Anyone else have a similar situation? How did you approach it?
    I think I would have said something along the lines of if you continue to hit your dog that way you will cause a hip issue or rear leg problems , explain how bulldogs can have a stubborn streak but there is no reason ever to train any dog that way , also mention if he needs to learn and or ask questions he should join up at EBN and we can all teach him how to be a responsible Bully owner . If the son of a B does not like that call the local SPCA or whatever and let him have them up his arse for being a idiot !
    YOU MIGHT BE A BULLDOG IF...

...everyone else in a room with you is pinching their noses
    ...you snore like a chain saw.
    ...it takes too much energy to beg
    ...your snore is louder than your bark
    ...you have never seen your tail...what is a tail anyways?
    ...you're the loudest snorer in the house.

2. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training g8erjackie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus and Regina
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Should I say something to my neighbor about how he corrects his bully?

I was on the lookout for them today when I took the dogs for a walk. I'm going to try and ease into the conversation, but I'm definitely going to say something. I don't want it to happen again at all but I'm hoping my boyfriend will be there if it does and he can say something also.... I feel so stupid for not saying anything before. I was just so shocked. It totally soured my view on him.

4. Likes 2BullyMama, TyTysmom, dolphin liked this post
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Utley and Bella
    Likes (Received)

Don't feel bad that you did not just ultimately react the at first. Sometimes it is better to think it through. It is a sticky situation and you only want to help. What if you tried this approach. Find a local training class or socialization group and tell him that you wanted to take you bully and thought it would be fun if his dog went too. Whatever happens best of luck and hope everything goes smoothly.

6. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training 2bulldogsstuff's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Logan and Brett
    Likes (Received)

I would absolutely say something! I wouldn't even give it a second thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Taco & Thor
    Likes (Received)

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. I would try to ease into your experience, and maybe even embellish your story. Ie. " I used to have that problem with ruckus, here is what really worked for me..." Nothing wrong with a white lie if you can use it for good

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by YHSublime View Post
    You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. I would try to ease into your experience, and maybe even embellish your story. Ie. " I used to have that problem with ruckus, here is what really worked for me..." Nothing wrong with a white lie if you can use it for good

Absolutely agree… I think this is the best way to handle it.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

10. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Susan Moore
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elmo
    Likes (Received)

I agree also. That poor baby hit that way, no dog deserves to be hit in any way. That guy could damage this Baby's hip or his kidneys, or cause broken bones.

12. Likes dolphin liked this post
    The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin' groomzilla Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ron
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chance
    Likes (Received)

Have you thought about leaving literature on how best to handle the situation in his mailbox
    If he is unresponsive to what you have to say no loss to lose him however it does not help the innocent bully or suggest he look up this site obviously he needs advice on how to treat bullies or anything

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member punky's Avatar
    Real Name
    gail
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
    Likes (Received)

what will it take a video recording in an elevator to get him to wake up... seriously.. no difference then the guy that got caught mistreating dog in that video.. makes my blood boil... if i seen someone hitting a dog or cat i swear i know i would walk over and hit them and yeah probably get arrested but if it stops one dog from getting hit its worth it.. karma will get him..

Bulldog Vet in Training g8erjackie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus and Regina
    Likes (Received)

So I ran into the guy twice this past weekend and the second time the incident almost happened again, but I intercepted.

Keith and I were walking Ruckus and Regina and of course I had my post-yoga iced coffee (Starbucks profits astronomically from being located directly between my gym and my home) and we see neighbor guy and his bulldog, Harlan. Ruckus and Regina love ice cubes and they know they might get a couple when I'm done with most beverages so they were playing with Harlan but heard the rattle of ice cubes in my empty cup and came to my feet. Harlan, being no dummy, decided he also wanted some of whatever I had, so he sort of body checked Regina out of the way (she was totally fine and got right back up to join the pack, feisty little thing she is) and jumped up doing his begging growl. I saw neighbor guy react and reach for Harlan so I stood in between them and made all the dogs sit before pulling some treats out of my pocket. I wouldn't let Harlan have a treat until he stopped whining since Ruckus was being quiet he followed suit. I put on my big girl pants and said to my neighbor, something along the lines of, "Ya know, I think you might be mistaking begging and playing for aggressive growling. These guys are so food motivated that I think if you carried treats with you, Harlan would respond to your commands quicker. They have a reputation for being stubborn, but love to learn and if you teach him things like paw, wait, lay down, etc, and bond with him that way, when he isn't behaving the way you'd like he'll be more likely to listen. Whenever Ruckus is really misbehaving I make him sit and we run through a few tricks and it calms him down." He then tried to say well I just don't want him growling at all...and I said that hitting the dog will just damage him emotionally and make him not want to be around you, fear isn't a very good motivator, that in fact hitting him and making him fearful could cause aggression later. He said they needed to go back inside. I could tell he was simmering on what I said and was embarrassed that I called him out. We'll see if he just avoids me now, but I'm going to bring over some treats and find some information on training techniques.

Harvey's Executive Assistant Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

So I ran into the guy twice this past weekend and the second time the incident almost happened again, but I intercepted.

Keith and I were walking Ruckus and Regina and of course I had my post-yoga iced coffee (Starbucks profits astronomically from being located directly between my gym and my home) and we see neighbor guy and his bulldog, Harlan. Ruckus and Regina love ice cubes and they know they might get a couple when I'm done with most beverages so they were playing with Harlan but heard the rattle of ice cubes in my empty cup and came to my feet. Harlan, being no dummy, decided he also wanted some of whatever I had, so he sort of body checked Regina out of the way (she was totally fine and got right back up to join the pack, feisty little thing she is) and jumped up doing his begging growl. I saw neighbor guy react and reach for Harlan so I stood in between them and made all the dogs sit before pulling some treats out of my pocket. I wouldn't let Harlan have a treat until he stopped whining since Ruckus was being quiet he followed suit. I put on my big girl pants and said to my neighbor, something along the lines of, "Ya know, I think you might be mistaking begging and playing for aggressive growling. These guys are so food motivated that I think if you carried treats with you, Harlan would respond to your commands quicker. They have a reputation for being stubborn, but love to learn and if you teach him things like paw, wait, lay down, etc, and bond with him that way, when he isn't behaving the way you'd like he'll be more likely to listen. Whenever Ruckus is really misbehaving I make him sit and we run through a few tricks and it calms him down." He then tried to say well I just don't want him growling at all...and I said that hitting the dog will just damage him emotionally and make him not want to be around you, fear isn't a very good motivator, that in fact hitting him and making him fearful could cause aggression later. He said they needed to go back inside. I could tell he was simmering on what I said and was embarrassed that I called him out. We'll see if he just avoids me now, but I'm going to bring over some treats and find some information on training techniques.

Kudos. Well done young lady.
    Hug your bully today

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads